Chapter 14- Guilt

Evelyn ran through the hallway, keeping the hand in her pocket carefully wrapped around a vial. Tonight was the full moon and she was desperate to find Remus before it was too late. Rounding the corridor, Evelyn let out a sigh of relief as she saw the Marauders crowded together underneath an oak in the courtyard. Breathing a deep breath, she gathered her courage and approached the boys.

"Snape," James smirked as he walked forward and threw an arm around her shoulders. "Miss me?"

"Hardly," Evelyn ducked out from his embrace and bit her lip nervously.

James's grin faltered as he took a step back. "What's up? You look like you just kissed Filch."

Evelyn looked at Remus, who was even paler than yesterday, if that was possible. "Rem, I know."

The Marauders all froze. Peter stared at the ground nervously as Remus fell back against the tree, his hands beginning to shake.

"Ev.."

Evelyn waved a hand. "Remus, I'm never going to say anything." She looked at the boy firmly. "And I don't care." She pulled the vial of Wolfsbane potion from her pocket. "The only reason I told you like this is because Sev and I have been working to brew a potion that makes your.. um wolf form less violent." Her words came so fast, she could barely understand them herself. Shaking her head, she placed it gently in Remus's hands. "You don't have to take it, we still don't know exactly what it will do. But I thought you should have the option."

Turning away, she walked quickly in the opposite direction, eager to put distance between herself and the boys.

"Evie!" Regulus trotted up to her, a concerned expression on his face. "What was that all about?"

"Er.. nothing," Evelyn shook her head, looking away.

"That's a lie and you know it."

Evelyn stopped, looking at the boy in surprise. His grey eyes gleamed in annoyance.

"I don't know what the truth is," Regulus's tone was fierce as he spun around, his robes whipping in the air. "But I do know that you've been keeping secrets all year. And I'm sick of it."

Evelyn watched him walk away with a guilty expression.

"What did you do this time?"

Evelyn slumped as her brother approached her from the opposite direction. "Nothing," she gritted her teeth.

Severus rolled his eyes. "Whatever." He looked around carefully with a dark expression before lowering his voice. "Do you have the potion?"

"No." Evelyn walked away, already preparing for a battle. "I don't need it."

"Wh.." Severus's eyes widened in realization. "You gave it to Lupin." At Evelyn's silence, his voice grew furious. "Why are you such an idiot?"

"YOU KNOW WHAT SEV?" Evelyn spun around, ignoring the stares they were beginning to attract. "I ALREADY FEEL GUILTY ENOUGH." She lowered her voice, although her tone was still harsh. "I can't deal with this too."

With a click of her flats, Evelyn turned and walked out of the castle furiously, a bubble of anger in her chest. Breathing hard, she tried to release the tension as she made her way to the Forbidden Forest, the afternoon light casting an amber glow on the green shrubbery.

"You are angry," Orion observed as he stepped out from behind a patch of thistles.

Evelyn sighed, running a hand over her face. "I might have just put my friend in danger." She looked down, beginning to shake. "But I thought it could help him."

"There is nothing to be done now," Orion laid a gentle hand on her shoulder. "What is done has been done." He turned away, facing the direction of Evelyn's tree. "Now you must focus on yourself."

Evelyn bit her lip and although she tried to force down the guilt, she couldn't help the stab of worry that occurred with each step. Had she just doomed Remus?

---

Evelyn limped quickly as she made her way to the Hospital Wing. Other than a bruised ankle, last night had not been as damaging as it sometimes was. Stopping at the door, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath before she tentatively pushed it open.

James, Sirius, and Peter were all huddled around a body. Sirius bore a few scratches on his face, but otherwise the boys seemed rather unharmed. James spun around as he saw Evelyn standing in the doorway, his eyes blazing.

"What happened?" Evelyn rushed forward to get a better look.

Remus looked peaceful, his face had lost its usual concern and his skin was smooth. As his chest rose and fell in steady rhythm, Evelyn let out a breath of relief.

"He's okay?"

"WHAT DO YOU THINK?" James slammed his hand on the bed. "He won't wake up ever since he took your bloody potion."

Evelyn felt her heart drop and her face paled as she took a step back. "What happened?"

"He drank it right before he transformed," Peter stammered, shifting nervously. "He turned into a.. werewolf and then back again and nothing happened."

Evelyn frowned. How did Peter know those details? Trembling, she reached out a pale hand to touch Remus's arm.

James ripped her hand away. "GET. OUT." He was seething and all warmth in his hazel gaze was gone.

Evelyn's eyes widened as they began to fill with tears. She took a wobbly step backwards, shaking her head. "I.. I'm sorry."

"SORRY?" Sirius laughed humorlessly. "Lot of good that does us now. You and Snivellus probably planned the whole thing."

"NO!" Evelyn reached out again desperately, her hair falling into her face. "I would never.."

"Well you did." James clenched his hands into fists, his gaze cold. "I think its best we don't see you again."

"Evie?"

James, Sirius, and Peter snapped their heads down to the bed. Evelyn froze as Remus opened his eyes slowly, looking around in confusion. The brunette raised a tentative hand, examining it closely for new scars.

Evelyn let out a weak smile as a fresh stream of tears poured down her face. He was alright. "I'm so .. so sorry Remus." Without looking back, she turned and fled down the hallway, not stopping until she reached an empty broom cupboard. She threw herself into the pungent smelling space and curled into a ball before she allowed the sobs to finally take over her body.