Lacuna

By kayyteelynne

Lacuna: A blank space; a missing part. *Spoiler Warning* A My Time in Portia fic that focuses mainly on novel... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30

Chapter 7

14 0 0
By kayyteelynne

"And that... is how you build a bridge... apparently." Kahli hiccuped.

"And it works?" Antoine asked. "You can... walk over it?"

"With a hundred people."

Sam shook her head. "I wouldn't trust that thing."

Kahli hiccuped again. "Rude."

"Has... people... been on it?" Emily asked. Her brows furrowed as she focused to string her words together.

Kahli shrugged. "I 'unno. Pro'lly."

"Have you been on it?" Antoine asked.

Kahli giggled. "No, way."

"Why not?" Sam asked.

"Well." Kahli paused. "Don't they say that? Don't... use your own products... or something."

"I do get sick of eggs all the time," Emily said with a nod. "'S'like that, right?"

"Yes. I think. Pro'lly." She hiccuped.

Emily put her arm around Kahli. "I think. I think you did... a good job."

Kahli blushed. "Aw, thanks, Em."

"The goodest job."

"You... that's so nice." Kahli leaned against her. "You're so nice."

"Me, too!" Sam said, and she wrapped her arms around them both. "Kahli is my best friend."

"I want a hug, too!" Antoine pushed himself between them and patted Kahli on the head. No one moved, not even when Arlo spoke behind them.

"Am I interrupting something?"

"Yes," Sam sneered at him over her shoulder. "We're having... a moment."

"Kahli is our best friend," Emily said. "She is doing her best."

"Well, I hate to break up the love fest here," Django said. "But can you finish it up somewhere else? I'd like to go home and go to bed."

Sonia yawned loudly and leaned against the counter. She grinned and shook her head. "I thought you cut them off?"

"They were all just having such a nice time," Django said. "Singing and toasting to nonsense."

"And I thought you hired really bad entertainment," Arlo commented.

"We're free entertainment," Antoine said. "You're welcome."

"Guys," Kahli muttered from beneath their arms. "I can't... breathe."

They quickly parted and Kahli hiccuped. She swayed on her stool. "That was a trip."

"Remington," Django called. "Will you please help escort these lovely ladies home?"

"Never fear," Remington said as he approached them. "Good ol' Remi is here."

"I'm not a lady," Antoine sneered.

Sonia crossed her arms and raised a skeptical brow.

He rolled his eyes and giggled. "Girl. Shut up."

Sonia waved them off. "C'mon, now, scram. Ya'll got work in the morning."

"Fuck," Kahli whispered. "I have to... build an irrigation system." She groaned loudly.

"Le's go," Emily said, getting to her feet and pulling Kahli up with her. "Buddy system, everyone. Me and Kahli and Sam and Antoine." She straightened as best as she could and pointed to Arlo, then Remington. "Who's gonna be our team captain?"

"Dibs on Rem!" Sam shouted. She clung to his arm and grinned up at him. "I love you, Remi."

"Oh, I see how it is," Arlo said.

"Arlo, you're such a weirdo," Sam said loudly. "Don't worry I love you too!"

"Too late. The truth comes out."

Sam scoffed. "Escort me home, good sir." She pulled Remington's arm, leading the group of them out the door.

Kahli and Emily hung on one another, stumbling as they stepped out into the cool night.

"And I love Kahli and Emily, too!" Sam shouted over her shoulder. "Good night, my lovely loving friends. Adieu!"

"Good luck, Arlo," Remington called. "If you don't return, I'll be sure to say something nice at your funeral."

Arlo rolled behind, then fell in a few paces behind the two giggling women, still hanging onto one another, singing loudly.

"You know," Emily said. "The next bridge should be gold! With like, big, tall columns. And a big sign that says... that says..."

"Kahli was here."

Emily laughed loudly.

"You know," she continued. "I want... one of them. A lil' baby chick. And duck. And a lil' cow. And." She hiccuped. "A horse. And. All the animals. The cute, lil' fluffy animals."

Emily slapped her arm excitedly. "We have those!"

"Hey, drunkies," Arlo called.

They stopped walking and turned to face him. He was standing in front of Kahli's house.

"You missed your stop."

"We're going swimming!" Emily called.

"I don't think so."

"I don't have a bathing suit," Kahli said loudly, though she intended it to be a whisper.

Emily scoffed. "It's dark out. We can skinny dip!"

"I can hear you," Arlo called.

"Don't watch, weirdo!" Emily barked at him.

"Please go home," Arlo begged in a defeated tone.

Kahli patted Emily on the head. "Next time." She made her way back to Arlo, stopping in front of him and grinning up at him.

Arlo hesitated. "Can I help you?"

Kahli reached up and patted his head. "Thank you, good sir, for your guiding... guidance... to my home."

"Uh. You're welcome."

Kahli hiccuped. "I... will not throw up."

Arlo frowned. "Please don't."

Kahli shook her head. "I am going to bed!" she declared.

"Okay," Arlo started. "But don't sleep on your back, okay?" He crossed his arms. "Don't need you choking to death."

Kahli grinned. "Ha. Okay. Good job. Thank you."

"C'mon, Arlo!" Emily called. "Stop flirting and take me home!" She giggled. "Oh, man, you're taking us home." She giggled even louder.

"Emily," Kahli groaned. "You're so weird!"

"I'm going to charge you for this, you know," Arlo said.

Kahli let herself through the gate, pausing at the door. She pointed at Arlo, her brows knit together fiercely, then smiled. "Bye."

Arlo blinked at her for a moment. "Bye."

*****

The sun. It was too bright. Far too bright. Kahli groaned and rolled over in an attempt to shield her eyes, but instead, she rolled off the bed, falling to the floor with a hard thump. She groaned louder and stayed on the floor for a moment as she blinked the sleep from her eyes. Her mind was groggy. She pushed herself up, swaying slightly for a moment, then trudged downstairs and into the kitchen to attempt to make herself a fresh pot of coffee.

She sat at the table with the mug in her hands, but she did not drink from it. She blinked at the empty wall in front of her, jumping when she heard a knock at the door. She took a moment to collect herself, then forced herself to stand and moved to the door. She opened it, cup still in hand, and blinked in the sunlight that streamed rudely in.

Arlo snorted. "Oh, hell."

Kahli looked up, squinting in the light. She sneered at him. She held her narrowed gaze on him as she sipped from her coffee.

"Can I help you?" she asked in a hoarse voice.

Arlo's lips pinched together in an attempt to hold in a laugh. "Nope."

"Why are you here?" Kahli asked, her voice monotone.

"Uh." He hesitated. "Just wanted to check to make sure you were still alive."

"Unfortunately," Kahli muttered.

"Are you sure? Because you look rather dead."

Kahli lowered her mug and cleared her throat. "You have a death wish, do you? Eager for me to end your life? Shall I make it quick and easy, or slow and painful?"

"I would be more afraid if you weren't a hung over mess."

Kahli's gaze hardened threateningly on him and Arlo took a step back.

"Okay," he said, his hands up in defense. "You win." He turned to leave, but Kahli's voice stopped him.

"Wait." She hesitated. "What, uh... how did I get home?"

"You don't remember?"

Kahli shook her head. "I..." Her face paled. "Did we go swimming?"

Arlo laughed. "Almost. I stopped you."

Kahli sighed and nodded. She froze for a moment more. "Uh. And... then I went home?"

Arlo nodded.

"Alone?"

Arlo stared at her. "To my knowledge."

Her shoulders dropped. "Cool," she muttered. "And Emily?"

"I brought her home."

Kahli nodded. "Thanks."

"That's what I'm here for."

"Seems like a waste of your talent," Kahli said.

"You think I have talent?"

"I'm saying that's not what the Civil Corps is for," Kahli sneered.

Arlo grinned. "Oh, that reminds me. There's a fee with my services, you know."

Kahli frowned. "What? There is? How much?"

Arlo laughed. "Um." He quieted and smiled. "Just kidding."

"Get out," Kahli grumbled. "Leave me to drink my coffee and die in peace."

"Right," Arlo started. "I'm sure you have a lot of work to do at the tree farm."

Kahli nearly dropped her mug. She groaned loudly.

Arlo saluted her and grinned. "Good luck today, Kahli."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 55 17
˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ .      . ✦     ˚     . ★⋆.   .     ˚     *     ✦   .  .   ✦ ˚      ˚ .˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ .           The youngest Archeron daughter...
180K 6.6K 63
[This story has a rewritten version out now "my only home". You won't have to suffer any longer with this terrible plot, but I'm keeping this up sinc...
6.3K 460 29
Ruhn Danaan, Crown Prince of the Valbaran fae, has no idea how long he's been in this cell. Days? Weeks? All he knows is desperate hope that his sist...
66.4K 2.8K 31
you can see it on Amazon Kindle... In the heart of Victorian London lives a girl names Katherine Davis. She is the real life Cinderella yet she was d...