Upper Orders//Benedict Bridge...

By stephie177

Diana Featherington is the only child of the younger brother of the Baron Featherington. With the passing of... More

⚘one⚘
⚘two⚘
⚘three⚘
⚘four⚘
⚘five⚘
⚘six⚘
⚘seven⚘
⚘eight⚘
⚘nine⚘
⚘ten⚘
⚘eleven⚘
⚘thirteen⚘
⚘fourteen⚘
⚘fifteen⚘
⚘sixteen⚘
⚘seventeen⚘
⚘eighteen⚘
⚘nineteen⚘
⚘twenty⚘
⚘twenty one⚘
⚘twenty two⚘
⚘twenty three⚘
⚘twenty four⚘
⚘twenty five⚘
⚘twenty six⚘
⚘twenty seven⚘
⚘twenty eight⚘
⚘twenty nine⚘
⚘thirty⚘
⚘thirty one⚘
⚘thirty two⚘
⚘thirty three⚘
⚘thirty four⚘

⚘twelve⚘

28.1K 856 165
By stephie177

Miss Marina Thompson's recent fall from grace continues to echo through every drawing room in town, days after it was revealed her engagement to Colin Bridgerton was nothing more than a sham. Of course, a lady's disgrace does not merely tarnish her own name. Like the tars of the Thames, it also leaves a horrid smear on anyone nearby. While there is no parasol in the world strong enough to shelter a ruined woman, the fallen Miss Thompson can only hope she shall find a refuge... somewhere.

Daphne is back in town and has arranged a rendezvous between Colin and Marina. I tag along hoping to speak with Daphne in person. I have missed having my best friend around to speak to whenever I may need.

"Miss Thompson," Daphne greets. Marina curtsies. "Thank you for joining us."

"I did not realize I had a choice," Marina tells her.

"My brother wished for an audience. And I wish to avoid any further scandal attached to my family's name. I will remain here as a chaperone," Daphne tells her.

I follow her over to sit on a couch. I smile. "Daph. You are glowing."

Daphne smiles. "I wish I were back under better circumstances."

"Marina... you must tell me that this Whistledown woman is mistaken. What she wrote, it cannot be true," Colin insists.

"But it is," Marina confesses.

"You are with child? I do not understand. We were to be wed. You... You said you loved me," Colin says.

"Colin, I hold you in the greatest esteem," Marina tells him.

"'Esteem'? You are a cruel woman indeed to stand here and talk of friendly affection, as if you have not just committed a grave sin against me," Colin says.

"Speak not of sin, Mr. Bridgerton. I did not come here to be shamed by you, nor anyone else. I did not know better. You may think me a villain, but I did what I thought I must. No one ever truly helped me, or guided me in a different direction. I had no choice. I needed to wed. And you, you were the only man who offered me even a glimpse of happiness," Marina explains.

"So I should feel flattered, then? Consider myself lucky that you chose me, lied to me, tried to trick me into a fraud of a marriage?" Colin questions. "I shall take my leave of you for the last time, Miss Thompson." Colin walks to the door but stops and turns back to face Marina. "You wish to know the cruelest part of your deception? If you had simply come to me and told me of your situation... I'd have married you without a second thought. That is how in love I believed myself to be. But I see now that was all a lie." Colin walks out the door.

"I believe I would like to return home now. After all, we don't want another scandal attached to your family name," Marina tells Daphne before leaving.

"Might I stay?" I ask.

Daphne nods. "Of course."

"I know that what Marina has done has caused scandal for both your family and mine, but I do not wish to lose you as a friend," I confess.

Daphne grabs my hand. "And I do not intend to let that happen. You have always been held in the highest esteem. Everyone knows you are living with your Aunt and Uncle as a circumstance."

I nod my head. "I cannot imagine how different life would be had my mother and father lived." I shake my head. "But enough of feeling sorry for me. I do have something I did not wish to write about."

"What?" Daphne asks.

"The day of your wedding I nearly caused another scandal," I tell her.

"You?" Daphne asks. I nod. "How?"

"Benedict and I were alone in the study and... and we kissed," I tell her. Daphne gasps. "And Anthony caught us."

"Diana..." Daphne starts.

"Benedict called it a mistake," I state. I shake my head. "But I do not feel the same."

"You love him don't you?" Daphne asks. I nod my head, my voice failing me. "I can speak with him."

I shake my head. "No. No. He made it clear how he feels. And I regret it. Anthony will not even let us out of his sight. Now I feel it hard to even just be friends with Benedict."

Rose walks into the room. "The carriage is waiting, ma'am. We must prepare for the queen's luncheon."

"Could I go with you? You could be my chaperone," I say.

Daphne chuckles. "Me your chaperone? Who would have thought?"

The Queen's tea is sure to be a bore. I have lost all hope of finding a husband this season. I have spent most of my time with Benedict just to have him call me a mistake.

"Diana. We should talk," Benedict tells me.

"About what, Benedict?" I question.

"About what happened the other day," Benedict tells me.

"The other day?" I pretend to think. "I do not know what you are talking about."

"Di, do not act like this," Benedict tells me.

Mr. Granville and his wife approach Benedict and I. "I've missed you at the studio of late. You must join me for another drawing lesson. As I said, improvement is all a matter of practice."

"At least, that is the excuse he gives for coming home with paint in all kinds of peculiar places," Mrs Granville remarks.

Benedict giggles.

"Were you able to meet my friend Wetherby at my party?" Mr. Granville asks. "Come, I shall introduce you."

"No, thank you." Benedict looks over his shoulder. "I... I see my mother requires Miss Featherington and I's presence. Good day!"

I smile at the couple as Benedict ushers me away.

"Diana may we please continue our conversation?" Benedict asks.

I shake my head. "I have nothing more to say."

"Diana please," Benedict begs.

"Good afternoon," I say before walking off.

"Diana," Benedict says.

I ignore him and continue walking. I spot my family walking into the tea. Aunt Featherington walks right over to Lady Bridgerton.

"My dear Lady Bridgerton... is this not a dreadful circumstance, for us both to have been so duped by that scheming hussy? To think that Miss Thompson would take advantage of my kindness after I opened my home to her. You must believe, I had no idea of..." Aunt Featherington starts.

Lady Bridgerton says nothing as she walks off.

"Lady Featherington, I must ask you to leave," a servant tells her.

"But I have an invitation," Aunt Featherington protests.

"Not anymore. I am sure you wish to avoid any further unpleasantness," the servant remarks.

I leave with my family no longer wishing to be at the tea. I just wish for the season to be finished.

A knock on my door draws my attention from my book.

"Daphne? Why on earth are you here?" I question.

"I came to speak with Miss Thompson," Daphne tells me.

"I am sure your mother was most unpleased to hear that," I state.

"I did not tell her," Daphne explains.

"Probably for the best," I offer.

"I saw you and Benedict speaking at the tea before you left," Daphne says. I nod my head. "Might I ask what you were speaking about?"

"We did not speak. Benedict wished to talk about what happened and I did not," I tell her. I shake my head. "As I do not wish to speak of it now." I force a smile. "So tell me how has your honeymoon been?"

"It has been blissful. Something I wish that you to will get to experience one day soon," Daphne tells me. I smile. "Will I see you at the concert tonight?"

I shake my head. "No the Featheringtons are not invited."

"Well you will not be missing much," Daphne assures.

"And whatever I do miss I am sure to read about in Lady Whistledown's paper tomorrow," I tell her.

Dearest reader, a question. Is anything more exhilarating than taking a gamble? For it is often the highest risk that carries the greatest reward. Yet, wager wrongly, and you might find yourself left with nothing but regret.

Of course, one can never know for sure whether a wager will make a fortune or ruin it, unless one chooses a more secure pursuit. But as the season continues, the biggest gamblers have yet to truly show their hand... which leaves gossip in short supply in recent days. In fact, this author can think of no other event that merits a mention.

It is worthy of note, however, that the Duke and Duchess of Hastings have yet to entertain callers together. Our newlyweds are no doubt still secluded in nuptial bliss. Who could fault them? And who could be surprised if their diligent efforts are rewarded with a new arrival within the year.

Without warning Penelope bursts into my room.

"Pen!"

"I'm sorry, Di, but Benedict is waiting for you at the servants entrance," Penelope tells me.

"Benedict Bridgerton?" I ask.

Penelope nods. "Yes and he wishes to speak to you."

"Alright. Thank you Pen," I tell her. "Please do not tell your mother about this."

"I would never," Penelope assures me.

I head down to the servants entrance. I open the door and Benedict is waiting there for me.

"Should you not be at the concert?" I question.

"I know you do not wish to speak to me, but please just listen," Benedict tells me.

"Benedict..." I start.

"Please," Benedict pleads.

I close the door behind me and head farther into the yard away from listening ears. I wait for Benedict to continue.

"I had a realisation tonight. Well rather Mr Granville of all people made me realise something," Benedict tells me. I nod my head as I cross my arms over my chest. "I am the second son. I am not bound by the rules of society."

"So you came to tell me that you are free while I sit waiting around for some man to marry me so I might yet get away from this house and these people?" I ask.

"No. I came to tell you that you are my dearest friend, Diana." He takes a step towards me. "And that I cannot live without you in my life." Benedict puts his hand on my check. "What I said the other day. Our kiss was not a mistake." He places his other hand on my waist. "I have thought about nothing but you since that day. I love you."

I look at Benedict in shock. He loves me. Benedict Bridgerton loves me.

"I love you too," I confess.

Benedict smiles as he places his lips on mine. Benedict grabs hold of me pulling me closer to him. After a moment Benedict pulls away leaving me breathless.

"We cannot go further," Benedict tells me. I nod. "But I will make a right woman out of you. I shall ask your uncle for permission to wed."

I smile widely. "It is too late tonight and I am in no rush. So long as I know you love me I will be content."

Benedict smiles as he kisses me one more time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

440K 11K 60
𝐋𝐚𝐝𝐲 𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐇𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐝𝐨𝐧, 𝐝𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐥-𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝, 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐦𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐥𝐲, 𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐥-𝐫...
78.1K 1.4K 28
Y/N returns to London after 10 years, having to have left the only home she had ever known, including her dearest childhood best friend, Anthony. Whe...
62.2K 3.7K 13
-𝐅𝐋𝐎𝐖𝐄𝐑 𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐒 ᵉᵈʷⁱⁿᵃ ˢʰᵃʳᵐᵃ '𝙏𝙝𝙚𝙮 𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙨𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙗𝙚�...
256K 7.5K 87
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...