⚘fourteen⚘

The final ball of any season is distinguished by one of two things, anticipation... or dread. For, while those who have been successful in the year's marriage market look forward to flaunting their perfect, joyous unions... others shudder at the thought of spending one last night before the discerning eyes of the ton. As they know, indeed, just what the evening signifies, that their time is officially up. And yet, to those who may still find themselves out of both choices and hope, fear not. For who knows when and where one's fortunes may change?

Upon arriving at the ball I spot Daphne almost immediately.

"Good evening, Your Grace," I greet.

Daphne laughs lightly. "Good evening Miss Featherington."

"Are you sure you would not like to take me into your care? Clyvedon is absolutely beautiful," I tell her.

"Thank you, Di," Daphne says.

"It makes me long for my old family home," I admit.

"You know you are welcome to visit me any time here," Daphne tells me.

I smile. "I shall leave you to your guests."

I find Penelope by herself. "Come now, Pen. It is the last ball of the season do not stand to the side. Find someone to dance with." I notice she is staring at Colin. "At least talk to him. Nothing that happened is your fault. He will understand." I offer her a smile before walking off.

"Enjoying your evening?"

I turn and see Benedict standing there smiling at me.

"Much more now," I tell him.

Benedict holds his hand out to me. "Care for a dance?"

I nod my head as I take his hand. "I shall care for more than one."

Benedict chuckles. "I shall dance with you for the whole night if it makes you happy."

So that is what we do. Song after song Benedict and I dance. We only stop as the sky opens up and rain falls upon us. I chuckle as Benedict grabs my hand and rushes me under cover from the storm. Daphne does not move. Instead her and the Duke stand in the rain. I cannot help but smile at the sight.

"Everyone... I believe this evening is complete. We shall thank our gracious hosts for such a splendid soiree in the morning. Now, go. Out. At once," Lady Danbury tells everyone.

Benedict turns to me. "I did not see your Uncle."

"Come round tomorrow. I shall block the door so he cannot leave," I tell him with a chuckle.

Benedict smiles. "I shall be there in the morning."

I head home with my family longing for morning to come.

"Mr. Finch has such a warm countenance, does he not? And his gaze, it inspires me," Philipa says.

"Perhaps it might inspire you into silence," Prudence remarks.

"Prudence, be kind. You will have plenty of opportunities to find your match this summer. I am thinking a full renovation of our country house is in order this..." Aunt Featherington trails off. In the hall are two large men in black coats and red shirts. "Where is Miss Thompson?"

Marina walks down a few steps. She looks worn and upset.

"Oh, my lady." Mrs Varley rushes towards Aunt Featherington. "There is news."

"What is the matter?" Aunt Featherington asks as she moves away from us.

"It is your husband, ma'am. They are saying he is dead. The Bow Street Runners have questions," Mrs Varley explains.