⚘thirty three⚘

Benedict and I sit in his family's drawing room. William is sat in my lap. Benedict has John in his arms.

Benedict leans towards Gregory, whose arm is in a sling. "Was it worth the glimpse of the balloon? Hmm?"

"I fell off the roof before I could even see it," Gregory confesses.

"Aw..." Benedict says as he hits Gregory in the arm.

"Stop," Gregory protests.

"Tell me one more time what precisely the queen said to you, dearest," Violet tells Francesca.

"Again, Mama?" Francesca questions.

"'She was splendid. She sparkled. Brava.'" Eloise remarks.

"I ask because it is important. If the queen has truly granted Francesca her favor, she shall have her pick of suitors. It changes everything," Violet explains.

"Who shall you dance with first, sister?" Hyacinth questions.

"Perhaps I shall go alphabetically," Francesca offers.

"Morning, family," Colin greets as he walks into the room.

"You slept late," I tell him.

"Did I?" Colin remarks.

"Something keep you up?" Benedict questions.

"Not at all. I slept peacefully," Colin tells him as he says hello to John. "No sooner did my head touch the pillow that I was met with complete and immediate darkness. Not even a dream."

I shake my head. "You are acting rather strange as of late."

"Brother, I know we are not supposed to mention it, but I thought it was quite a kindness that you did for Penelope the other week," Hyacinth tells Colin.

"She waits for the maids to throw out last week's Whistledown," Benedict says. Hyacinth rushes towards him. Benedict smiles as he lowers his voice, "as she knows she is not allowed to read it."

"It was unfortunate Whistledown wrote what she did, or that she found out about it in the first place," Colin states.

Eloise stands up from her chair. "Uh, excuse me."

"Well, I think Penelope is quite fortunate to have you as a friend," Hyacinth tells Colin.

"Yes. She is, um..." Colin starts. "Well, a very good acquaintance of... the family's, of course."

"Are you all right?" Benedict asks him.

Never better," Colin assures.

Dearest Gentle Reader, humankind has accomplished extraordinary feats in its attempt to compete with nature. Built ships to travel the globe, castles nearly to the clouds, and now, great balloons to traverse the skies. But no matter how many accomplishments our debutantes have displayed for Queen Charlotte, it seems Her Majesty is interested in only one. And though other young ladies may scramble for Miss Francesca's leftovers, they would be wise to remember the higher one flies, the further one has to fall.

Benedict watches me as I pin the last of my hair in place.

"You look beautiful," Benedict tells me.

I smile. "Thank you." I turn to face him. "You are not yet dressed."

"I do not see why I must go to this soiree," Benedict protests.

"Because we were invited," I tell him.

"We are invited to every social event," Benedict insists.

"You exaggerate," I argue.

Benedict smiles as he walks towards me. "We could spend our night in other endeavors."