Upper Orders//Benedict Bridge...

By stephie177

Diana Featherington is the only child of the younger brother of the Baron Featherington. With the passing of... More

⚘one⚘
⚘two⚘
⚘three⚘
⚘four⚘
⚘five⚘
⚘six⚘
⚘seven⚘
⚘eight⚘
⚘nine⚘
⚘ten⚘
⚘twelve⚘
⚘thirteen⚘
⚘fourteen⚘
⚘fifteen⚘
⚘sixteen⚘
⚘seventeen⚘
⚘eighteen⚘
⚘nineteen⚘
⚘twenty⚘
⚘twenty one⚘
⚘twenty two⚘
⚘twenty three⚘
⚘twenty four⚘
⚘twenty five⚘
⚘twenty six⚘
⚘twenty seven⚘
⚘twenty eight⚘
⚘twenty nine⚘
⚘thirty⚘
⚘thirty one⚘
⚘thirty two⚘
⚘thirty three⚘
⚘thirty four⚘

⚘eleven⚘

28.3K 709 180
By stephie177

Dearest gentle reader, I must send felicitations to the new Duke and Duchess of Hastings. Congratulations and stamina as they embark on the most exhilarating time in a young couple's life. I am, of course, talking of the honeymoon. Is there a more romantic notion? To retreat from society together... finally leaving watchful eyes behind. While this author, along with the rest of the ton, will certainly miss its most-remarked-upon couple back in London, perhaps we might find solace in the promise of the Duke and duchess returning to us bearing a surprise.

Today there is a picnic to attend. It is strange knowing Daphne will not be there. We always attend events together. Just knowing that she was there made me at ease. I always knew that I had a friend.

"Diana."

I see Benedict walking towards me.

"Benedict."

"Do not tell me that what my brother said has gotten to you," Benedict says.

"He is not wrong, Benedict. We were being careless," I state. "You said it yourself, it was a mistake."

Benedict looks like he wants to say something but his brother interrupts. "What did I tell you two?"

"We are standing in the middle of a garden," Benedict reminds him. "We are surrounded by people."

"When will you understand that I am just looking out for you both?" Anthony remarks.

Colin hits a glass with a knife drawing the attention of everyone. "May I have everyone's attention? I would like to make a small but important announcement. I have happy news to impart. I have asked Miss Marina Thompson to be my wife, and she has accepted."

Anthony walks away to speak with Lady Bridgerton.

I turn to Benedict. "Did you know about this?"

Benedict shakes his head. "No. Not a clue."

I force a smile. "I should go congratulate them."

"Di..." Benedict starts.

I shake my head. "I have to see to my family and you yours."

I sit in the parlor with Marina, Philipa, and Prudence.

"Do you think Colin will introduce us to his friends? Some of them are quite strapping," Prudence states.

"I am sure he will. I am sure all of our fortunes are about to change," Marina assures.

Penelope stands in the doorway. "Mm. Especially Colin's."

"You look very lovely today, Penelope," Marina tells her.

"Do not mock me," Penelope says with a smile.

Penelope sits down next to me on the couch and Marina sits beside her.

"It pains me you should think every compliment a mockery," Marina tells her.

"Do not pity me, either," Penelope says.

"I do not pity you, Penelope. I respect you. You have been a true friend since I arrived here, and I rely on your continued friendship and sympathy," Marina tells her.

Penelope laughs. "My continued silence, you mean?"

"You think so little of me, I cannot bear it. I never would have made my way through this awful tangle without your kindness. Please do not tell me you regret it," Marina says.

"I would never bring scandal on you or our family, if that is what you ask, but I cannot condone your actions," Penelope tells her.

"I want you as my friend, Pen. Can you not try to understand and be a little pleased for me?" Marina asks.

Aunt Featherington walks into the parlor. "Marina? Time for the modiste. We must see to your trousseau."

Marina follows Aunt Featherington out of the room.

Philipa scoffs. "She is so lucky. A whole new wardrobe and a handsome husband. Between the two of them, they will make the most beautiful baby."

"He is not the father, you dunderhead!" Prudence tells her through a laugh.

Philipa chuckles. "Oh, my goodness! I clean forgot."

"Do not laugh at him! She makes a fool of him already," Penelope tells them.

Prudence scoffs. "Ugh! You are no fun anymore."

"Was I ever?" Penelope questions.

Tonight Colin, Anthony, and Lady Bridgerton are joining us for dinner. Marina stands at the top of the stairs before walking down towards the rest of us.

"Turn, please. Profile," Aunt Featherington instructs. Marina does as Aunt Featherington asks. "Swish." Marina looks at her. "Swish!" Marina gives in and moves her arms forward and back. "Good. You have done well thus far, Miss Thompson. Tonight, I shall need to raise the matter of a swift wedding."

Penelope chuckles. "I am... very sorry. But this plan of yours, I find it wanting. Deceiving Colin is one thing, but being at close quarters with his mother, that is quite another. Lady Bridgerton is shrewd. She has had eight children. Trust she knows when she is being managed."

The diner is dull. I find myself wishing for Benedict's company. Even at the dullest of balls, or picnics, or dinners he was always one to make me laugh.

"What were your favorite pastimes in the country?" Lady Bridgerton asks Marina.

"I enjoyed riding above all else, my lady," Marina tells her.

"Please, you must call me Violet now. Remember?" Lady Bridgerton says.

"Miss Thompson is such a proper young lady, is she not?" Aunt Featherington offers.

"Have you traveled at all beyond England, Miss Thompson? It has long been Colin's greatest ambition to travel the world," Lady Bridgerton says.

"Never. Though it is now a great ambition of mine as well," Marina tells her.

"I am sensing a honeymoon in foreign parts. What think you, Lord Bridgerton?" Aunt Featherington asks.

"I would not like to speculate," Anthony replies.

"Yes, indeed. I believe a honeymoon in foreign parts would be just the thing. Mr. Bridgerton, you might even make the most of this fine weather we've been having if you choose to marry sooner rather than later," Aunt Featherington offers.

"Colin is still very young. I believe a lengthier engagement would be prudent, excellent weather notwithstanding," Anthony states.

"Mother, have I told you Miss Thompson is very accomplished at needlework? She is quite brilliant. Puts my sisters to shame," Colin says.

"I can assure you, that is not true," Marina insists.

"You have not seen my sister Daphne's embroidery. In all honesty, it is like a battlefield," Colin remarks.

After dinner we sit in the parlor. Philipa plays the pianoforte as Prudence tries her best to sing in tune but does not succeed. Anthony sits down on the other end of the lounge under the window.

"Diana. I do not wish for you to be angry with me. You have to understand. I see you as a little sister," Anthony tells me. I smile slightly. "I do not want Benedict to hurt you. I do not want for him to be the reason you cannot find a husband."

I nod my head. "I know. Thank you Anthony. For looking out for me."

I sit with Penelope in her room. "I am sorry Pen."

"Whatever are you sorry for?" Penelope questions.

"I can see the way you look at him. You have longed for Colin Bridgerton for years. And now he is to marry another. Not just anyone, your cousin. I can only imagine the pain your heart is feeling," I tell her.

Aunt Featherington walks through the door. "Why are you not dressed? I told you we were dining with Lady Gartside this evening."

Penelope coughs. "Sorry, Mama. I'm not feeling well."

"I ought to make you come along to cough and splutter all evening. It would serve Lady Gartside right. She has been withholding a dinner invitation from me, and now look... Not a day after Miss Thompson's announcement, and they all come crawling," Aunt Featherington tells her.

"And what of you, Diana? Why are you not dressed?" Aunt Featherington questions.

"I think I should stay and keep Penelope company," I offer.

Aunt Featherington sighs. "Penelope does not need you for company."

"I do not plan on attending the dinner. So make up whatever excuse you would like. I am not leaving Penelope," I tell her.

Aunt Featherington stares me down before leaving.

"Enjoy your evening, Mama," Penelope tells her. She turns to me. "You did not have to stay."

I smile. "I will not leave you Penelope. Besides why would I want to go to dinner with Lady Gartside? I think I would rather be run over by a carriage." Penelope stands up. "Where are you going?"

"I have a hunch," Penelope tells me.

I chuckle. "Lead the way."

I watch as Penelope rummages through Marina's things. She eventually finds two letters which she holds side by side.

"What is it Penelope?" I question.

"These letters are not the same. The handwriting is different," Penelope tells me.

I smile. "Sir George may still be alive yet."

Penelope and I wait for Marina to arrive. She walks in the door looking surprised to see us.

"Diana, Penelope, what are you...?" Marina grabs the letters from Penelope. "How dare you!"

"Look. Look at the signature on Sir George's last letter, and this one from many months ago," Penelope tells her.

"So?" Marina asks.

"So, they are not the same," I tell her.

"The slant of the lettering, it is all wrong," Penelope explains.

"Penelope, I'm tired. I haven't..." Marina starts.

Penelope grabs another letter. "This one. It was in a drawer on the back of Mama's desk. She or even Mrs. Varley practiced George's signature, but even they could not get it perfect. That last letter, the one where he broke your heart... it was a forgery, Marina. George never wrote those things to you. He never denied loving you. He never denied your child."

"Perhaps," Marina offers.

"Marina..." Penelope starts.

"Even if you are correct..." Marina continues.

Penelope cuts her off, "I am correct. You cannot deny..."

"Even if it is true, George has still not replied to my letters. He has abandoned me, while Colin has embraced me," Marina states.

"I thought you loved him. George," I state.

"I was a fool. This changes nothing." marina lights the letters on fire before dropping them into the fireplace.

"Why is your bag packed?" I question.

"Tell me you are not going to Gretna Green!" Penelope says. "Marina! What will you do when Colin realizes the child is not his? That day will come. He is not simple."

"What I will do is live safe in the knowledge that my husband is a good and kind man. He would never turn me out on the street. He will care for us both, come what may," Marina insists.

"But what of him? What of Colin?" Penelope questions.

"You love him," Marina states.

"What?" Penelope asks.

"No, it makes sense now. Your objections, your meddling. You love Colin Bridgerton," Marina explains.

"You know not of what you speak," Penelope insists.

"I believe I know so much more than you, Pen... of Colin, of the world. If I am to be the executioner of this childish infatuation, then so be it. Your love is an unrequited fantasy. Colin sees you as you are and regards you no differently than he does Eloise, or even little Hyacinth. He sees me as a wife, a woman. And as a woman, I must make these difficult choices for myself and for my child... even if they hurt your feelings," Marina insists.

I wrap my arms around Penelope. "Let us go." I glare at Marina. "You think yourself so high and mighty, to be marrying a Bridgerton. But remember the bigger they are the harder they fall."

All is fair in love and war, but some battles leave no victor, only a trail of broken hearts that makes us wonder if the price we pay is ever worth the fight. The ones we love have the power to inflict the greatest scars. For what thing is more fragile... than the human heart?

The bond between man and bride is private, sacred. But I must tell you, I have learned that a grave fraud is afoot. As if the Featheringtons did not have enough to be dealing with, Miss Marina Thompson is with child... and she has been from the very first day she arrived in our fair city. Desperate times may call for desperate measures, but I would wager many will think her actions beyond the pale. Perhaps she thought it her only option, or perhaps she knows no shame. But I ask you, can the ends ever justify such wretched means?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

265K 6.2K 20
Based on the Netflix Original Bridgerton Anastasia Hathaway was the daughter of a well know Duke and Duchess, Anastasia has been infatuated with Anth...
204K 6.8K 31
Delilah has never truly had a good relationship with anyone. Her father had made it no secret that he did not want her and had not paid her any care...
171K 4.2K 19
𝓔𝓿𝓮𝓻𝔂 𝓶𝓸𝓻𝓷𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓘 𝔀𝓪𝓴𝓮 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓘 𝓪𝓶 𝓮𝔁𝓬𝓲𝓽𝓮𝓭 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓭𝓪𝔂 𝓪𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓭 𝓽𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓘 𝓰𝓮𝓽 𝓽𝓸 𝓼𝓹𝓮𝓷𝓭 𝔀𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝓱𝓲�...
167K 3.9K 36
Lady Carina Eliza Grey. The only daughter of the Earl, Charles Grey and the deceased Countess, Elizabeth Grey. Viscount Anthony Bridgerton. The elde...