Hating My Tutor

By crownedkt

Meet Skylar Howard, she a stubborn softy. She's struggling in school getting grades that are leading her to t... More

Hating My Tutor
Chapter 1: I Don't Need A Tutor
Chapter 2: A Tutoring Job?
Chapter 3: The Double Chocolate Kind
Chapter~5 I Can't Do This Alone
Chapter~6 Caleb! Stop laughing!
Chapter~7 Two Hot Chocolates, Please
Chapter~8 Ladybugs?
Chapter~9 The Call
Chapter~10 Orange Skye, Don't Die!
Chapter~11 Skylar White
Chapter~12 Celebration
Chapter~13 A present for me?
Chapter~14 Stupid Boy
Chapter~15 Girlfriend?
Chapter~16 Chemistry Project?
Chapter~17 If We're Talking Parties I Don't Like Them
Chapter~18 Let The War Begin
Chapter~19 You're Beautiful
Chapter~20 Chit Chat
Chapter~21 My Son Is An Idiot
Chapter~22 You Look Good In Purple
Chapter~23 The End
Chapter~24 Pinky Promise?
Chapter~25 Festival
Chapter~26 I Still Have You Cheesecake
Chapter~27 Basketball With Peter Pan
Chapter~28 Chocolate Vs. Vanilla
Chapter~29 I'm A Failure.....
Chapter~30 Oblivious Child
Chapter~31 Here Goes Nothing
Chapter~32 Time To Win This
Chapter~33 No Escape
Chapter~34 I Demand A Retest!
Chapter~35 Prepare to get egged!
Chapter~36 Crabs Are Killers
Chapter~37 The Stubborn Orange
Chapter~38 Marry Who?
Chapter~39 Let's Go Fly A Kite
Epilogue~ Sing To Me
Loving My Tutor (SEQUEL!!)
Skyleb Poem (:
~ Lacey's Confession ~

Chapter 4: Project Skylar

44.4K 1.3K 406
By crownedkt

Caleb's POV

Coming to the Howard's house for dinner felt like another thing to check off on my to-do list, but after entering their home, within just the first few minutes, I didn't expect it to be such an experience. A very strange one at that.

And man, did I feel really out of place.

The girl- who was not the ten year old that I had pictured- was staring at me with such judgement. I couldn't understand if she was just having a bad day. Or maybe she wasn't feeling well?

Her parents seemed nice. She even seemed cute and funny at first. I kind of still felt bad for possibly embarrassing her when I walked upstairs to look for the restroom. I couldn't have known she was going to come out in just a towel after a shower.... but she seemed to have forgotten and had other things in her mind. I could tell since her face was showing clear irritation.

Her expression only deepened as her mother explained what days and at what hours I would be coming during the week.

I kind of got the feeling that maybe she wasn't so thrilled about having a tutor as she was making that quite certain.

I didn't know where that left me, but Mrs. Howard smiled and thanked me again for doing this job.

"I really believe this will help a lot and both Skylar and I look forward to the sessions," she said, looking over at Skylar to give her a sign of agreement.

"Right." Skylar nodded, keeping her lips pulled up into a thin line.

I wasn't sure what to say so I went with a "happy to help."

And honestly, I was. I've tutored before and enjoyed the experience of teaching and thinking of new methods and ways to help, but this looked like it was going to be a different kind of experience. I wasn't quite sure how to react.

Skylar stood up and started to stack some dishes.

A silent signal that announced dinner was over.

I stood up too, wanting to help clear the table.

"Oh, you don't have to," Mr. Howard said, joining Skylar with gathering the forks and knives. "Really, Skylar and I have it covered."

I wasn't sure if I should've pushed to help or sit back down. Being a guest did have those conflicts.

I decided to contribute in the cleanup with collecting the cups. "Oh, it's no problem. I would like to help."

Mr. Howard smiled. "Alright then. You can place those on the counter in the kitchen."

I turned to the kitchen as he directed, feeling a bit glad dinner and this "meeting" was over.

It had to have been the most awkward one yet.

"Oh, what a sweetheart he is." I heard Mrs. Howard whisper in the dining room. I couldn't help but smile. She seemed sweet herself. Her husband too, when he wouldn't stare at me in such an intimating way.

I wanted to laugh at myself for getting so caught off guard by everyone tonight. I guess I really did came in with different expectations of how tonight would go.

For one, I didn't except Skylar to be my age. And two, I didn't expect her to be strongly opposed at the concept of having a tutor. 

Skylar and her dad came into the kitchen and placed the plates and other dishes in the sink. Mrs. Howard then joined and placed the extra food into the fridge.

"Again, I would like to thank you for coming tonight Caleb," Mr. Howard began. "It was great to meet you and we are looking forward to getting to know you and to working with you."

I smiled, finding it funny how serious this all sounded. It made me feel like I was entering such a significant job. When all it really was
just tutoring a few hours a week.

"Yes, thank you," Mrs. Howard continued and then added. "Please, if you have any questions let us or Skylar know. You have my number and Skylar's." She then turned to Skylar. "You received my text with his number too, right?"

"Yes, I think so," she said, before turning on her phone to double check. "Yeah, I got it."

"Great.," she said.

"It was great to meet you guys too." I said. "Thank you for the meal, it was a delicious."

She smiled. "It was our pleasure. I guess that means we will see you tomorrow then. Skylar will walk you out, yes?" She turned to Skylar.

She smiled. I couldn't tell if it was genuine as it appeared to have a bit of a sinister feel to it as she said, "Gladly."

I nodded to both Mr. and Mrs Howard as a last goodbye before waiting for Skylar's lead.

Being a guest always felt a little like a game to
me. There were a lot of silent cues to notice and follow. Usually I was good at that, but for some reason Skylar was harder to read. 

She hummed as she walked me towards the front door.

"Um, it was nice meeting you. " I said, feeling a bit awkward.

"Yup." And that's all she said.

"Right , so I'll see you tomorrow then."

She just nods and gives a thumbs up.

Tough crowd.

She reached for the door knob and twisted it just slightly. She paused in what seemed to be hesitation.

For the first time that night, she turned to me with softer eyes and said a little more than just a few words.

"You know," she started. "If you change your mind about this tutoring thing, don't feel bad. I'm sure you probably have a tight schedule. And I'm sure my parents could find another tutor if needed, so really no pressure."

I smiled. She wanted to get rid of me that bad.

I could tell she was thinking of everything possible. It was quite obvious and it made me even more curious why she was so against having a tutor.

"Oh, no, it's no pressure." I assured. "I'm happy to help and I hope you will find helpful as well."

She seemed to not have expected that reaction as she sighed.

"Right. Okay, so I'll see you tomorrow then." She opened the door for me. "Let me know if you change your mind though. Like for real, I totally would understand."

I found it entertaining how she wasn't giving up.

She was cute to think I would quit before I even started. I wasn't like that and I didn't plan to be either.

"I'll you know," I said, allowing myself to play her game. "See you at six thirty." 

"Yeah."

"Goodnight," I said, walking out with a small salute and then turned to walk towards my car.

As I mentioned before, tonight was not as I expected, but I somehow found myself looking  forward to tutoring Skylar.

I could tell she is quite stubborn - not like the usual students I've tutored. That didn't concern me though. It only made me more determined to show her that tutors aren't as horrible as she may think they are.

For whatever reason she is against them, I will prove her otherwise.

After a few minutes of driving as we didn't live far from each other, I pulled up to park into my drive way.

I felt my phone vibrate as I exited the car and slid it opened with my finger print.

An unknown number piped up.

Hey, it's Skylar,
Just asking if you can come tomorrow at 7pm instead for tutoring?
They switched drama practice for tomorrow instead of Tuesdays.

Oh, it was Skylar. I wonder what part she was playing or participating in drama.

I texted her  back:

Yeah, no problem. Good luck.

I then saved her into my contacts.

Project Skylar

—-

Long time no write!! I'm back (: and G-d wiling , here to finish revising and changing a lot of parts of the story. Hope you enjoy (:

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 396 56
"Why do you always avoid my questions?" "I'm not, it's just that there's nothing to say. Who would ever want to date someone they can't even talk to...
182K 6K 39
"What do you mean I have to live in New York?!" "Honey, your grandma is very sick and we have to fly out to Canada to take care of her, but we don't...
30K 669 48
Genevieve loves her friends, her family, wants nothing more than to live a "perfect life". She's painfully shy, has never had a boyfriend, and works...
68.1K 932 31
Enemies to lovers❤️ Imagine if your worst enemy would move in RIGHT NEXT TO YOUR HOUSE? This book about Grayson and Isabella will tell you how she ex...