Chasing the Pediatrician

By _leensky

Kaitlyn Reynolds is an ordinary girl, trying to pursue her career in the medical field. She was too focus on... More

Author's Note
Cast!
Chapter 1 - Call 911 Please!
Chapter 2 - Emergency Operation
Chapter 3 - Reunion
Chapter 4 - Red Dress
Chapter 5 - Baloo
Chapter 6 - Charity Gala
Chapter 7 - It's a Trap
Chapter 8 - The Ultimatum and The Preparation
Chapter 9 - Summer Camp Day 1
Chapter 10 - The Missing Boy
Chapter 11 - The Rescue
Chapter 12 - Someone from The Past
Chapter 13 - I Never Forget a Deal
Chapter 14 - Of Thoughts & Jealousy
Chapter 16 - The Devil from the Past
Chapter 17 - Manipulative Witch

Chapter 15 - Be Honest with Your Own Feelings

57 3 1
By _leensky

Josh came to pick up Kate at 11 AM. This was Kate's first time in a car with Josh alone. Josh told her that the party is going to be a garden party and he actually didn't know who else his mom invited besides their family. Probably some of the Paxton Enterprise business partners. Josh's eyes were fixed on the road, the radio was played at a low volume. They've been sitting in the car in silence for almost ten minutes. "Josh." She called his name. He glanced at her for a second and then stared at the road again. "Uhm... what does your mother interested in? A hobby, or some things that could be useful for her?" Kate wanted to buy a present for Mrs. Paxton but she didn't know what to buy.

"She likes to bake. Why did you ask?" he replied, didn't bother to look at her. "I wanted to buy her a birthday present but I couldn't decide what to give to her." Josh was surprised to hear that Kate wanted to give his mother a birthday present. Sure, he already prepared a present for her mother, but he didn't expect that Kate would want to do that. "Kate, you shouldn't. It's okay." said Josh.

"Please, Josh? I really wanted to give her something, even though maybe I couldn't give her an expensive gift. But I really wanted to give her something that at least could be useful for her on daily basis." Kate looked at him with puppy eyes and Josh just couldn't resist. Women usually throw him a flirty look or seducing look, but never puppy eyes. And seeing Kate did that, so innocent yet so cute, made him wanted to keep her for himself. "Can we have a detour, please?" Josh sigh. "Fine." What was happening to him? What does this pediatrician resident do to him?

Kate showed him the direction to the store she was aiming for. Josh wanted to come inside with her but Kate refused and told him to stay in the car. She promised she won't take long. Josh was skeptical at her words because all he knows is women tend to spend so much time while shopping. Within only 10 minutes, Kate already got back to the car, holding a gift box in her hands. "You're done?" Josh asked her in disbelief. "Yeah, now let's go wherever you wanted to take me to." She nodded. This woman is just... but then again, this is Kate we were talking about. A different kind of woman Josh used to be around with. His lips made a small curved, "Alright, ready for some 'real' shopping, Ms. Reynolds?"

***

Josh made an appointment with one of his mother's favorite designers. He told him that he's going to take Kate as his date to his mother's birthday party and Josh wanted him to dress her up to match with the party's theme. Aaron already waited for Kate and Josh at his store. He made Kate tried many of his dresses, but after a while, Josh requested that he wants Kate to wear a long dress instead. "Josh, can we agree on one dress, please? I'm tired. This is tiring." Kate complained when she stepped out from the fitting room for the 18th or maybe the 20th, she couldn't remember. "I thought woman likes to do this thing?" he asked her with a smug smile and made Kate rolled her eyes. "Not me." She said with a tone of annoyance in her voice.

Aaron handed another dress to Kate. It was a purple dress, which seems perfect for the semi-outdoor late-summer party. When Kate got out of the fitting room, Josh was staring at her for a little bit too long. "I think this is the dress, Ms. Reynolds. The look from Mr. Paxton explains it." Aaron winked at Josh and made him realized what he's been doing. Kate tried to hide her redden cheeks. She really doesn't want Josh to do all of this, it made Kate felt like she has debts to him and his family. Plus, the price tag of all those dresses was just...

After a makeup session and dressing up with Aaron and his team, Kate was ready to go. Josh on the other hand was already changed his casual outfit to an outfit that matched Kate's attire. They were each other's date for the party after all.

When they arrived at the venue, Kate was really nervous for many reasons she couldn't explain. "Hey, relax. You'll be fine." Whispered Josh. He sensed Kate's uneasy body language and put his hand on her waist. Kate just nodded and tried to relax her body. When both of them stepped down the stairs to the open space, where the party is, everyone turned their attention towards them. Kate who hates being in the spotlight turned her head down, pretended to watched her steps on the stairs.

Josh's family didn't expect Josh will come with Kate, but they were relieved to see Kate as his date tonight. They really like Kate as a person, plus they owe her a lot. But a small part of them was concerned with Josh's habits with women. Everyone knows that he's a womanizer.

Irene who saw the two of them walked down the stairs rushed her way towards them. "Joshua my dear, you made it. And it's really good to see you, Kate. I'm glad Josh came with you." She smiled at Kate and Josh. "I wouldn't miss a soul, mother. Happy birthday. Psst, I already sent your present to the house." Josh kissed Irene's cheek. "Happy birthday Mrs. Paxton. I know this gift is nothing, but I hope this will be useful in any ways." Kate handed the gift box to Irene who accepted it happily.

"Oh Kate my dear, you don't have to. Your presence here with Josh already a wonderful gift for me. But this is very thoughtful of you. Thank you, Kate. May I open it now?" Kate nodded nervously. She hopes Irene will like her present.

Irene opened the gift box to see a pair of neatly knitted oven mitts with a Nordic pattern on it. "This is beautiful, Kate. Thank you so much. How do you know I love to bake? I will definitely wear this when I have my monthly baking saga." Kate glad Irene like the presents, she smiled even wider when she saw Irene's reaction. "Josh told me that you like to bake."

Suddenly someone tapped Kate's shoulder, "can I steal Kate for a moment?" Beth was standing behind Kate and grabbed her hands. Not even waited for Irene's and Josh's answer.

"How do you think of my date, mother?" Josh asked her mother. "Perfect. Just perfect. I love Kate, and you certainly know the rest of our family also loves her. Good choice." Her answer made Josh smiled proudly. "I just hope that this will lead to a more serious thing." Josh certainly knew what her mother meant. He won't lie that he really like Kate's company, but he hasn't thought about her that way, yet.

***

Beth dragged Kate next to the pool, away from the crowd. "Explain it, young lady." She spat. "Uhm..." Beth looked pretty annoyed to see Kate came with Josh to this party and it made her somehow feel guilty. "I am sorry for not telling you this before. I didn't know how to." Kate gave Beth an apologetic look while Beth still looked at her, crossing her arms, waiting for Kate's answer.

After hearing Kate's explanation made Beth really angry at Josh. He used the opportunity to dragged Kate to this party. Not that she wasn't happy to see Kate here, but she's afraid Kate will fall for him and Josh wouldn't be there to catch her. She has no problem if Josh will end up with Kate at all. But then again, it is Joshua Paxton we were talking about. One of the biggest womanizers she has ever known.

"You should've told me, Kate." Beth sighed. She couldn't be mad at Kate for this. She understands why Kate did this and decided to talk to Josh later. "Sorry..." said Kate, feeling guilty for not telling Beth in the first place. "Okay, you're forgiven. Now, let's eat something! Noah told me the sushi is really good." Kate smiled and nodded in response.

When Kate and Beth finished the sushi, Beth left Kate alone to find other food. Then Kate was greeted by Sara. She ran towards her and hugged Kate. "Hi, Sara!" Kate hugged her back. "Hi, dr. Reynolds." She smiled at Kate. "It's been a while since we met. Have you gotten taller? And I really love your dress." Kate compliment Sara. She just smiled and said thank you in response.

"Well, well, well. Isn't this is the famous dr. Reynolds?" an unfamiliar voice made Kate turned around. A tall guy stood behind her and Sara. Kate stood up, still holding Sara who suddenly became shy because of the presence of this guy. "Excuse me?" she asked him, feeling a bit confused.

"Craig West. We've met at the Paxton's Charity Gala the other day." He introduced himself, but Kate couldn't remember him at all. "Ah, I see. Excuse me for not remembering your name Mr. West." Replied Kate politely. She felt uncomfortable with the way Craig stare at her. She wasn't wearing any revealing outfit, yet she felt Craig was undressing her with his stare. She wished he'd leave her alone. She also sensed that Sara wasn't comfortable at all with the presence of him.

"You seemed really busy then, not to mention the way you saved this pretty girl right here." He gave Sara a smile, but it made Sara hid behind Kate even more. "By the way, do you want to have a drink with me after the party?" she was taken aback by his question. This guy really has the confidence for sure, but it just made her feel more uncomfortable.

"She won't go anywhere with you, West." A deep voice followed by a hand on her waist made Kate startled a bit. But she managed to look calm. "Uncle Josh!" Sara greeted her uncle. Josh took Sara in his arm, while the other arm held Kate even closer to him.

"Joshua Paxton. How nice to see you here." Craig said in a sarcastic note. "Likewise," Josh replied. Kate could feel the tension but she chose to stay quiet.

"Let the lady choose for herself, Paxton." continued Craig. "She's with me, West. She's my date. Now if you please excuse us." Josh took both Sara and Kate away from Craig.

"Thank you, he's really creepy. I don't like the way he stared at me." Kate told him in a low voice. Hearing Kate's words made Josh wanted to crush Craig down. He saw the way Craig looked at Kate and it made him wanted to punch Craig in the face. But he definitely didn't want to make a scene at his mother's party, so he let him away for now.

"Let's forget about him, I won't let him go anywhere near you." Josh tried to reassure her. "Now, my family wants to meet you." He whispered back at Kate. The thought of Josh's family wants to see her made Kate feel nervous all of the sudden.

Margaret and Irene heard about the ADHD Program Kate have been working on from Josh and really curious about it. They decided to talk about it with Kate for more information and Kate happily answered their questions. If they think the program meets their qualifications, they wanted to become permanent donators for the program, since both Margaret and Irene are the head of the Paxton Foundation. They also really happy when they heard that Josh spent some time with Kate, whether it's because of the ADHD Program or not.

Josh was watching Kate interacting with his family. She could snatch his family's heart right away. He knew that she saved his grandmother's life, and his family isn't some arrogant kind of family. But after only a few encounters, it looks like Kate got them wrapped on her fingers. They adore her, especially Sara. She held Kate's hand all the time the moment she landed her eyes on Kate at this party. He didn't even know what did Kate do to melt Sara's shyness.

"Joshua Paxton." He heard a long-lost familiar voice called his name. "Bethany Grahams." He answered. "I must say, you really have the nerve to ask Kate to go with you to this party. Even after I warned you not to get close with her." Beth rebuked.

"Beth, be honest with me. Are you jealous of your own friend? Because if you are-" Josh chuckled at his own words. "Never in a million years, Paxton." Beth cut Josh's unfinished sentence. "Listen, Josh, I don't know exactly why we ended up at this level. And I'm sorry if I caused you so much pain. But please, leave Kate out of it. If it just for the sake of your curiosity or whatever, leave her alone." Beth let out a long sigh. "Don't hurt her in any ways."

Josh clenched his jaw. Beth's apology and everything that she said suddenly made him angry for no reason. He might be a well-known playboy, but after he spent more time with Kate, he never had any intentions to hurt her like many people's assumptions. Kate and everything that comes with her consumes his thoughts without Josh even realized. Heck, the thought of her even made him lost interest in any other woman, including Beth.

"What if I don't want to hurt her, Beth?" he said with a very serious tone. "What if I genuinely interested in Kate and have no intention to hurt her?" Josh defense himself. Without him realizing it, he was being honest to Beth and himself about what he felt about Kate.

"Then prove it, Paxton." 

Woohoo!!!! Finally, Josh admitted that he is interested in Kate ;)

_leensky

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.3K 2.3K 40
[ONC 2021 Honorable Mention & Round 2 Ambassador's Pick] [Featured on @StoriesUndiscovered, @Contemporarylit, @teenfiction] "There's something about...
578K 17.9K 87
Jessica Grayson has struggled with body dysmorphia and bullying for most of her life. And when she believes she has finally turned things around for...
915K 22.7K 43
Nathan Parker A 24 years billionaire and a single father of 2 years old. He is cold, arrogant, rude and doesn't give a shit about any others feelings...
71.4K 2.1K 18
Dr. Kate Matthews is twenty-nine years old and is still a virgin. A child prodigy who studied through her adolescence, Kate skipped the normal rites...