Twisted Justice (an NCIS stor...

By HobbitLeigh

A traumatic event from Timothy McGee's childhood resurfaces with a case. When McGee goes missing can the team... More

Rule One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten.
Chapter Eleven.
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty- Six
A thanks from the writer
Opening Credits

Chapter Twenty-One

750 24 1
By HobbitLeigh

Gibbs was still sitting by the bedside hours later when a doctor came into examine his patient, so he quietly made his way out into the hall and pulled out his phone to make a call.

Commander Southerland

"Commander, it's Special Agent Gibbs. What did you find out for me?"

The long hiss of air told him he would not like it.

Robert Wilson will lose two ranks and receive a formal reprimand up that will go in his record.

Gibbs was speechless, but only for a moment.

"That's it? For standing back and watching a kid get beat up. Are you serious? Marines have been dishonorably discharged for less."

Gunny I'm sorry, it happened so long ago and there really isn't a specific charge we can use. It wasn't assault, it wasn't like he allowed adult to do it. He permitted a boy to be bullied by his peers. The best we can do is conduct unbecoming of a Marine.

"Conduct unbe- Ya think?" Gibbs said sarcastically then continued. "I don't think that's it, I think you can do more. What you mean is that's all you want to do."

Don't do this. It was a long time ago and yes my sympathy goes out to the young man, but any statute of limitations has passed on any type of charge we could have come up with.

There was a long pause

I'm sorry, that's the best I could do.

Gibbs' only answer was to shut the phone. He rubbed his head. He knew he couldn't erase what happened so many years ago but he had hoped to get some justice, however long overdue for his young agent. Too tired to even decide if he wanted to fight this he went back into the hospital room.

Sean and Olivia soon returned looking more rested and insisted Gibbs go and do the same. It was late in the day and despite countless cups of coffee he was feeling the effect of days without sleep and the stress of having an agent missing. He began to leave just as his team once again started to appear.

They rest of Wednesday evening and Thursday morning was spent in a vigil over their injured friend, offering words of comfort and touches to reassure they were there. The hospital rule was only two visitors at a time, but each nurse that entered the room consistently found it exceeding its quota.

More than once Abby, Tony, Ziva, and Jimmy found themselves back in the lobby planning to find yet another way of sneaking back in when the nurses weren't looking. It was a little easier for Ducky to gain access to the room and he was a frequent visitor as well. Gibbs didn't even waste time trying to sneak past nurses; they had found quickly it was better if they did not try to keep him away.

Thursday afternoon the team had all assembled in Tim's room. After various attempt to enforce the two visitors limit the team finally worn down the whole floor and both shifts of nurses much to the amusement and relief of Sean and Olivia. Tim seemed to be responding to the attention. No one could quite put their finger on it but he did look a little better and there was a little more color to his cheeks.

Nearing evening Tim's doctor entered the very full room and stopped short in surprise.

"Well I see we have quite an audience. Is everyone going to hear the report?"

"Yes" Olivia said softly.

Abby had long since decided Olivia was quiet by nature and not because of the worry. She smiled when she thought about how her sometimes brash behavior had shocked Tim and now she could see why. He probably wasn't use to women who were forceful and strong willed as she was.

"Ok Tim's breathing has improved, not as much as we would like, but he's stabilized enough for more surgery. When we go in this time we will set his jaw and wrist and check the internal damage to make sure it's healing the way we hope. We don't want him to become too dependent on the ventilator so if the surgery goes well we will remove it afterwards."

He paused and looked around at the hopeful faces.

"Ok, if you will all please step out we will begin to prep him for surgery."

Several hours later Dr. Thomas stepped again into the waiting room. He was immediately rushed and involuntarily took a step backwards holding up his hands.

"Whoa. Tim came through the surgery well; the internal damage is healing nicely. We got his jaw and wrist set, no complications. And" he smiled, "we just removed the ventilator and he's begun to breathe on his own."

He smiled even wider at the relieved faces and smiles of the group in front of him.

"Will he be able to see?" Tony asked.

"We won't know until he wakes up, his retina is responding to stimuli but the only way to know for sure is when he wakes up."

"Can I see him?" Olivia immediately asked.

"Yes, but-"

He put his hand up.

"It has been brought to my attention that the two visitor rule has been blatantly disregarded many, many times." He said with a pointed glance at the main culprits.

For their part Tony, Ziva, Jimmy, and Abby did their best to look guilty.

"Doctor-" Sean started.

"However," Dr. Thomas interrupted "I don't have a problem with bending the rules a little as long as the spirit of the rule is kept. The rule is in place so our patients can recover in peace. Tim is still very ill and is going to have a long recovery. He will need all the rest and as little stress as possible. Just keep that in mind. You all know him better than I do and know how much he can tolerate. This will be especially important after the next 36 hours. I have started backing off the drugs keeping him in a coma so he should wake up within the next day and a half."

Abby started clapping until Tony and Ziva shushed her and Ducky gently reminded her to keep the noise down lest she be thrown out yet again.

Upon seeing Tim, Gibbs let out a sigh. He still didn't look good by any one's calculations, but it was such a relief to see him without the tube down his throat to breathe for him.

Once everyone had gotten to see McGee, Gibbs started heading his team out.

"Ok, time to fill out those reports, let's go."

"Gibbs, you can't be serious, not after we got permission to stay!" Abby protested.

"Boss, the case is over; we got the killer. Why can't we stay?" Tony asked.

"Because DiNozzo we need to work sometime this week and you can either do it now while he's still unconscious or tomorrow and the next day when he might be awake."

Tony turned to Abby and Ziva.

"You know girls I was just thinking what a great idea it would be to go back to NCIS and tackle some of that paperwork."

Abby rolled her eyes and Ziva smirked as Gibbs' hand connected with the back of Tony's head.

"Thank you Boss."

They left Sean and Olivia quietly chuckling.

Early the next morning Gibbs headed to the hospital and meet Tim's mother in the lobby.

"Good morning Agent Gibbs." she said smiling. He noticed she looked calmer than he had seen her in days.

"Morning. How is he today?"

She smiled wider.

"He had a good night, he looks much better," She grimiced. "except for those horrible bruises. We-"

"Livia!" Sean said urgently coming up behind them. "Come here, he's waking up."

"Oh!"

She rushed back to Tim's room with Gibbs close behind.

Tim was stirring slightly. His face was scrunched as he struggled to come to consciousness.

Sean was on one side and Olivia on the other. Gibbs felt he should keep a respectful distance though he stayed close enough to be able to see Tim's face.

"Come on son. We need you to wake up." Sean coaxed.

Tim shifted slightly and moaned.

"Take it easy Tim. It's ok, you're safe."

His right eye flickered open, the swelling on the left side too great to allow more than a slit.

"Dad..." He mumbled, voice was muffled by the wired jaw. Gibbs prayed he recognized his father's face and wasn't just talking to the voice of someone he couldn't see.

"Tim, son, how do you feel?"

"Tired...sleep"

"I know you're tired son but I need you to do one thing for me."

He held up his hand

"How many fingers do you see Tim?"

Tim was silent but squinted a little, Gibbs held his breath. Sean tried again.

"Tim, I know you're tired and you can go back to sleep very soon, how many fingers do you see?"

The answer was so soft Gibbs couldn't hear what Tim said but the relieved grin that broke out over his father's face told him all he needed to know.

"That's good Tim, that's very good."

Gibbs took a step forward and heard Tim's next words.

"Dad...so...tired...please"

"I know son go back to sleep, everything's ok."

Too weak to even nod McGee just let his eyes slide closed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.5K 832 26
What happens when the titans meet young justice, but then their leader/ old teammate goes missing and is getting beaten.Will they be able to work tog...
6K 152 20
Sequel to Callen's little problem. He's back to work and Sam kept his secret but when Hetty goes missing the team find out. What does this mean for C...
Remember The Time By Destiny

Mystery / Thriller

5.7K 113 10
Someone wants Jennifer Jareau dead, who could it be? When JJ is kidnapped and held hostage by a masked man she has to dig deep inside her past to fig...
15K 362 9
Spencer Reid has always worried about his mother, Diana. With her schizophrenia, he's always been concerned for her. But that escalates concern when...