Living With the Choices We Ma...

By SallyMason1

When Rena meets Brent, he is a dream come true. He is a real gentleman, funny, caring and even her overly pro... More

1 - Doc
2 - Meeting My Prince Charming
3 - Red Flags
4 - Courtship
5 - Thanksgiving With The Family
6 - Surprises
7 - The Day Mom Left
8 - Honeymoon Phase
9 - Brent's Brilliant Idea
10 - Shopping
11 - Forgiving
12 - Weekend Away
13 - Let's Take It To The Next Level
14 - Aftermath
15 - Visitors
16 - Star Witness
17 - Losing It
19 - Unwanted Advice
20 - Attempt To Break Free
21 - I Don't Want To Be Her
22 - Do You Think He Can Forgive Me?
23 - Love Of My Life
24 - Love Can Be A Funny Thing
25 - He Will Never Change
26 - Help Me
27 - Trapped
28 - No Way Out
29 - Betrayal
30 - I Never Deserved Any Of Them
31 - We Are Done
32 - Uncooperative And Hostile At Times
33 - Hitting Rock Bottom
34 - Kade's Testimony
35 - The Light Bulb Goes Off
36 - Kade's Secret
37 - Beat Of The Heart
38 - Choices Can Change Everything
39 - Reasonable Belief
40 - We, The Jury, Find....
41 - Having To Live With The Choices I Made
Road To Recovery - The Sequel (Now Completed)
Patrice's Story - Now Completed
Copyright Information

18 - Reaching Out

32.6K 1.5K 241
By SallyMason1

This chapter is dedicated to mindless_mochanini. Thanks for following the story and voting :). 

18 - Reaching Out  

I stayed four more days at the hospital before I was released. Brent visited every day but Kade stayed away and I wasn't even sure if he was working. Somehow, I was disappointed - I had enjoyed our chat and our game of chess. He was the first extended contact I had with anyone other than my boyfriend since I turned my back on Caroline and had to admit I had appreciated his carefree way. It had given me a sense of normality, at least for a couple of hours.

He showed up in the afternoon prior to my discharge, rolling in a wheelchair. "Your boyfriend will be up in a moment to drive you home." His eyes were dark, I could swear there was a certain degree of anger and the disapproval was audible in his voice. "Please come back if you experience any spells of dizziness or have more pain." He hands me an envelope. "There is a prescription for a pain relieve and a discharge report for your OB/GYN. You should schedule a follow up appointment in two weeks' time."

"Thank you, Doctor Fallon."

"Kade," he corrected me. He stuck a card in the pocket of my coat. "I usually don't do this but here is my card with my personal cell number on the back in case you change your mind and don't know where to go. Of course you can also call me if you ever just need to talk to anyone."

It was a genuine selfless gesture and I was really grateful though I was not intending to take him up by his offer. Brent took me home and filled the prescription on the way. The whole house was decorated with balloons and 'Get Well' banners and he insisted on carrying me upstairs to the bedroom. Everything was clean, there was no sign of our fight or the blood trail I must have left behind during my agonizing attempt to find help.

He had bought a second TV he had positioned right across the bed with a DVD player and had gotten all my favorite movies and a couple of books.

"Here is selection of magazines," he showed me in my nightstand drawer. "All I want you to do over these next few days is relax and let me pamper you. I told all my professors that you were sick and they were very understanding so I don't have to go to college and will take good care of you."

He fluffed the pillows for me to be comfortable.

"Thanks Brent," I muttered. The whole trip from the hospital exhausted me and I wanted to take a nap.

"Can I get you anything? Tea, popcorn?" He looked at me expectantly, eager to play my servant. "I can put in a movie if you like. I also got a few new releases."

His caring was overwhelming. I knew he only meant well but I was already longing back to the serenity of my hospital bed. I never liked when people made so much fuss about me.

 "I'm just really tired," I admitted, pulling the blanket defensively around me.

His smile was understanding. "I'll let you get some rest." He caressed my cheek before placing a little bell on my night stand. "Here. Just ring when you wake up and I will get you anything you want."

I nodded, avoiding looking at the spot by the window where the whole ordeal had started off. It felt strange to be back home, somehow wrong but I shrugged it off, blaming it on my fatigue.

"I love you, Rena." His eyes were glowing in that light gray that reflected happiness. "I am so glad you are home." I felt guilty for not feeling the same, he was trying so hard to cheer me up.

After he left, I pulled the blanket all the way up to my chin and stared at the ceiling. There were small dots in the wallpaper and I started to count them. I don't remember how far I got but it was well into the hundreds before sleep finally claimed me.

Over the next few days, Brent stuck to me like a dirty sweater that you desperately need to keep you warm in the winter but really don't want otherwise. He was around me non-stop, fussing about every move and serving on me hand and foot. Nothing was too much for him and after a while, I gave up any form of resistance and accepted my fate. After all, this is what I had chosen and I needed to make it work. I was too scared to even think about the alternatives.

Stepping into the bathroom was now excruciating. There were so many horrible memories and in the first few days I was back home, I shuddered every time I entered but again, somehow I coped. Yet my attitude towards Brent changed. I was more jumpy, almost expecting him to leash out again at any moment, totally focused on his eyes and body language when talking to him. I was determined not to upset him again – be good like he was expecting of me.

Before, I had tried to be the woman he envisioned because I loved him and had wanted to make him happy but now, my main motive was to avoid further punishment. I convinced myself that it was up to me, secretly starting to blame myself for his outburst. His brainwashing was persuasive, if he spoke about his beating at all, he always hinted that it had been entirely my fault and Brent could be very convincing.

It was a very confusing time for me. Today, I know it was partially my age that made it so easy for him to influence me but also the fact that I had grown up without a mother and didn't really know how a relationship between a man and a woman was supposed to work. I was scared of failure and admitting that I really wasn't ready for adulthood and would have never considered running home to daddy as a result. I wanted to prove to myself and the world how mature I was.

Yet, Brent's and my time of reconciliation was bound to come to an end eventually and we had an argument on Sunday night when I told him I should schedule an appointment with Dr. Hayman, my OB/GYN.

"What do you need to see another doctor for?" he questioned. "A few days and you will be as good as new."

"Well, the hospital recommended..."

I was interrupted by his hissing voice. "I don't care what that little weasel Fallon wanted you to do. He is just trying to break us up because he has the hots for you." He frowned, his eyes a few shades darker and I instinctively recoiled.

"You are so naïve, honey," he continued. "Fallon just want your doctor to know you had a miscarriage so she can mingle in our business. You don't need to go and this is final. This is no one else's concern but ours."

"Of course you are right." The words just floated out of my mouth like he had pulled the string of a chatty doll. "Please forgive me. That was very stupid of me."

The anger vanished from his face, his eyes much milder.

"That's OK," he assured, looking exactly like my father when I used to admit I had eaten a cookie before dinner. My tension eased. I was sure my new strategy was working. Anything to avoid conflict was good.

He went to Lao Sze to get Chinese takeout and I cuddled in bed, turning on the television to watch a movie. But I couldn't concentrate. Our disagreement replayed in my mind and I felt miserable. There was an uneasiness I just couldn't shake.

I got Kade's card from my coat and glared at it with mixed emotions. I wanted to call him, just to hear a friendly voice, but I knew Brent would beat the crap out of me if he caught me. In the end, my urge to confide in someone took over. I dialed his number and he picked up on the third ring.

"Hey Kade, it's Rena Cooper."

"Rena." His concern was already audible in this one word. "Is everything alright?"

"Yes," I reassured. "I just wanted to say hello. You said I could call even if I just wanted to talk."

A small snicker. "Yes, I guess I said that."

"Am I calling at a bad time?" I inquired, just realizing that he may have a social life a bit more exciting than my own, maybe even have plans with a girlfriend.

"No, no, that's OK," he added quickly. "I was just getting ready to go out for dinner with my mom and sister but have a few minutes."

I felt guilty for intruding. "Well, if you have to go...."

He didn't let me finish my sentence. "No, it really is fine." A moment of silence. "So what have you been up to? Are you recuperating?"

I pondered whether to tell him about my argument with Brent and decided to at least give him a few bits of information. "That's actually the reason why I'm calling. My boyfriend doesn't think it's necessary for me to be seen by my OB/GYN."

Kade took in a sharp breath. "Did he threaten you that he would hurt you if you did?"

I realized I was playing with fire. It would be easy to just say 'no' but if I continued with the truth, it would be the first step of betraying Brent. I knew how important it was for him to keep our personal business private.

I went with the option that could get me into a lot of trouble. "Not in so many words but his body language was clear that he won't tolerate disobedience."

I could feel the tension through the phone. "Where is he now?"

"He went out to get us something to eat."

There was a sense of urgency in Kade's voice. "As soon as you hang up, you have to delete this call from your log. He is likely checking your phone periodically for any activity including texts."

I laughed. "You sound absolutely paranoid. Brent would never do that. He trusts me."

He sighed, I could practically see him wring my neck for stupidity. "An abuser likes to control every aspect of your life and that includes all contact you have with anyone outside the relationship. Just please - trust me on this one."

"OK, ok." I didn't feel like arguing about this. "How about the doctor's appointment?"

"Swing by the hospital on Friday. I'm working all day and leave a note with the receptionist to call me when you get there."

"Great." I heard the downstairs door opening. "I have to go."

I cut the line in an instant. For a moment, I just stared at the phone, wondering whether I should go with his advice. It couldn't do any harm, that much was certain. I found the log and deleted the call and tossed the cell on the bed. A minute later, Brent came upstairs.

"Do you want to eat in bed and watch a movie?" His eyes fell on my phone on the duvet and there was a slight narrowing of his eyes but he didn't say anything.

"Sure, I'd like that." I was really looking forward to a relaxed evening in bed. "Do you mind if I take a quick shower first? I feel a little sticky."

"Not at all."

I slid out the bed and was heading for the bathroom when I remembered I better grab a fresh pair of underwear and new PJs. I turned around and froze in the doorway of the bedroom. Brent was standing with his back turned to me, my phone in his hand.

"What are you doing?" I asked, relieved that I had listened to Kade.

He spun around with a startle. "Nothing." He seemed guilt stricken. "I have to go back to college tomorrow and thought I'd program the number for the main office into your phone so you could get a hold of me in an emergency when I'm in class."

Smooth save. I didn't believe a word he had said but sure was not going to challenge him. It could raise his suspicion that I was just as guilty of wrongdoing as he was. "That's a good idea. Thanks."

I rummaged through my drawers until I found the PJs I was looking for. When I tried to leave, he blocked my way.

"You know, I trust you explicitly." It was an odd thing to say and his eyes spoke differently. "After all, I love you."

The energy in the air was explosive - a wrong word could have turned the whole situation ugly.

"I would never doubt you," I claimed, trying to sound sincere.

Just an hour ago, this statement would have been true, now it was a total lie. I wasn't certain if I was truly thankful for Kade to have opened my eyes to this little detail but I sure was glad I didn't get caught for calling him. Otherwise, instead of dinner, I would likely spend the rest of the evening nursing my bruised body.

So Rena is slowly catching on. What do you think? Is the playing with fire about to get burned or will her cry for help get her out of the bad situation? Maybe Brent will also pull another rabbit out of the hat and convinces her that his actions are innocent.

Thanks for reading. Comment and please vote if this chapter deserved it XD

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

443K 15.9K 44
[INSTAGRAM STORY] Jennie kim, a girl that became popular for her atipical posts on her instagram account where only pictures of different parts of he...
Lunatic By riel

Mystery / Thriller

159K 4.4K 34
He's Tyler. He has a certain mental illness that makes him think that what he does is utterly right. He kills women to 'save' them. He's been the cau...
BABY MAFIA By Fikile

General Fiction

203K 2K 6
Melony Tray is an eighteen-year-old girl who just graduated from high school and has big dreams for her future. Those dreams become a mere fantasy wh...
290K 8.7K 39
The first chance she gets, Corrine Whitman tries to escape from the man who abducted her. But when James catches her, she has to deal with his bizarr...