✧The Earthe of the Elves✧

By StoriesbyAvery

"Upstairs!" I hear a yell and pounding footsteps. I crawl out of the window until I'm hanging from my hands... More

Note + aesthetics
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60- Epilogue
3 & 4 - Knox
17 - Knox
28- Knox
30 - Knox
59 - Knox
Extra chapter:)

24

113 7 5
By StoriesbyAvery

Mia's POV

--------------------

Sunlight shines through a meadow, the ground completely submerged in tiny pink and white flowers. The leaves on the thin birch trees brush together with a sigh as a wind blows past. My feet walk slowly through the clearing, boots dappled in sunlight filtering through the trees. My vision moves up, and I realize that I'm now in a small forest. A bright, almost hazy forest. It feels like safety, like tranquility. I take two steps, stopping even though I want to keep going. I'm vaguely aware of the fact that this place feels familiar, but I can't put a thought together as to how.

Then, through the peaceful atmosphere, I hear a voice. So quiet it's almost a whisper.

"Mia," It says. I feel like I recognize the voice; it's a male voice, a deep one. But again I can't connect my thoughts.

"you're here."

"Where is here?" I ask, my voice echoing oddly around me, despite the fact that I'm in a forest.

"You'll know when the time is right."

"Mia. Mia. Mia." It keeps repeating my name, over and over, and I feel myself slipping from this place, from the misty forest and the voice. My name keeps repeating, like the whispers of the tree leaves-

"Mia. Mia!" My eyes snap open to see Elanil, crouching beside me, calling my name. That must be why the voice kept saying my name.

Rubbing sleepy fog out of my eyes I sit up, trying to shake the feeling of the dream. It felt so vivid, and at the time it felt peaceful, if I'm remembering right. Now, as I remember through a dreamy haze what happened, I feel a little less peaceful and a little more... I don't know. You know that vibe when you just wake up from a really vivid dream, and you can't shake that odd feeling like you're not quite in this world, you're still half in the dream? Yeah, that's how I'm feeling.

Birds trill overhead and sunlight shines through the bare tree branches, warming my face. I take El's offered hand and and stand, stretching out my stiff muscles and smoothing out my dress, which somehow doesn't have wrinkles. The dream feeling is fading now, and I feel pretty well rested. Like the feeling of sleeping at a hotel and waking up feeling energized because you slept somewhere other than the bed you sleep in every night. Plus the ember stone kept me warm all night, so I feel warm and rested.

"What? Did I sleep too late?" I ask through a yawn. Elanil laughs, shaking her head.

"No, I just woke up an hour ago. We stayed up till past midnight, so you're good."

"What time is it?"

"Uhh... I think almost 11?"

"Wow."

"There's also a reason I woke you up..." El bites her lip, a nervous habit I know too well.

"What..."

"Just- go to the castle. Throne room. Rose will explain."

I give Elanil a concerned look, but nod, following the wooden stairs carved into the tree to the ground. I'm not far from the castle here, and like Andor told me when I first got here- using magic takes energy, and although I've been forgetting that, I think I should start walking when I can. Plus it's just nice to be outside.

-

When I enter the foyer of the castle I hear Rose's voice echoing from inside the throne room.

"We need to see what they want, Knox."

"What could they possibly want? It sounds dangerous. And she can't go alone."

I walk slowly towards the throne room, knowing sneaking won't do any good. They would hear me anyway.

"Let's just wait until she gets here to decide," Rose replies. Their voices sound odd in my ears. Almost like swirling font. And no, not like talking in cursive. Every word flows beautifully into one another, and they have an accent I've never heard before, an elegant one I don't hear when they've talked previously.

"It could be a trap," Knox presses. "We can't let her."

At this I walk into the throne room, heading for Rose and Knox, who are standing facing each other in the middle of the room.

"What could be a trap?" I ask. Rose and Knox both turn to look at me, a slightly shocked expression on their faces. I stop walking and stare back at them.

"What?"

"You just spoke elvish," Knox says, a ghost of a smile on his face. I tip my head back a bit, shocked.

"We were speaking elvish too, and you understood us."

"Really? It sounded like English in my head," I say, "just... With a weird, pretty accent."

"Well, I guess that's what it's like for you to speak a language without realizing it," Rose smiles. "Don't worry, it won't always be like this. In a few days you should grow the ability to differentiate English and Elvish better."

I nod, then my mind wanders back to what I overheard.

"El said to come here... Were you just talking about me?" Based on the fact that my voice sounds super smooth and graceful, I think I'm speaking in Elvish. Knox still looks surprised as I walk over, an almost intrigued half smile on his face. It drops as Rose starts to explain.

"We received a note from the Cin this morning."

"From the Cin?" I ask doubtfully. I know I don't know much about Cin, but I'm pretty sure they aren't the type to send a letter. I mean, imagine. Hey Elves, so us Cin are thinking about waging war on you guys. Cool? Ok, and let's get together and have tea sometime.

"Yes. They request a meeting, outside of Bhailewood walls. With me, Knox, and you."

"Me? Why would they want me to be there? What do they even want to talk about?" Rose shakes her head, her silky hair waving behind her.

"We don't know."

"I think it's a trap," Knox says, looking at the ground in thought. "They probably just want to get you. To find the Heartstone."

"Well, I don't even know where that is," I reply.

"The Cin don't know that. We can't let you go, it's too dangerous."

"We don't know what they are up to," Rose interjects, "but we can't rule out the possibility that they do just want to talk, no tricks. I say we meet them, but take guards for protection. Both sides leave all weapons." Knox gives her a look, and Rose rolls her eyes. "Yes, that includes all hidden knives."

"No, we're too vulnerable," Knox counters. Rose stops him with a hand.

"You don't have to come if you don't want to, Knox, but I will write back that we will meet, only if both sides are vulnerable. No weapons. Mia, you can decide for yourself whether you want to come or not."

"When will this meeting be?" I ask.

"Half past noon. So an hour and a half."

If I go, there's a possibility that the Cin could start a fight, but why would they if they are so close to Bhailewood borders? They would be overrun if they tried anything. Unless they bring an army, which I doubt will happen. My curiosity quickly wins. Maybe I'm being reckless.... No, not reckless. Curious.

"I'm coming," I say firmly, nodding at Rose, who is nodding with a slight smile. Knox blows out a breath, but ends up nodding and striding out of the throne room.

I leave shortly after, heading to my room.

With a possible date with death in an hour, why not clean up a bit?

-

It doesn't take long for me to change, today in a pair of wide leg, forest green pants with a fitted black bodice and a brown, suede jacket with white fur along the seams. I guess elves do wear the occasional coat instead of a cloak- huh. Actually pretty stylish.

I change quickly and brush my hair, because unfortunately it still gets tangled. Not nearly as much as before my 'elfness' started kicking in, but still some. Then I put it into a few complicated braids, pulling the front back and keeping the majority down, like most days.

It's only been a few minutes since I finished getting ready, but I'm already getting nervous, the anticipation of what's going to happen in an hour being too much to just sit around by myself. I already know where I can go.

Knox answers quickly after I tap on the door, looking a little surprised to see me here.

"Can I come in?" I ask, trying to abandon the shy part of myself for now. Elves all seem to have confidence, so I'm trying to infuse the confidence fighting has given me into normal life.

"Sure," Knox replies, opening the door wider to let me in. I thank him with a nod and step in, gaping at his room for the second time since I've been in Earthe. I also notice, unlike before, that the whole room smells like him- like fresh air and the woods. It fills my nose, and it feels almost comforting. I don't know why.

"Your room is so pretty," I comment. I walk in a few steps further, not sure what to do with myself for a second. I settle for heading over to a wall of books in the corner of the room, plopping down onto a small leather couch.

"Thank you," he says, walking to his bed and sinking onto it. "What brings you here?"

I look over at him, and he has a knowing smirk on his face. I shrug, trying to hide a smile.

"Oh, you know. One hour until a meeting with the enemy. Very daring stuff... But seriously, I just couldn't stay in my room for over an hour- actually, only one hour now, doing nothing. I mean, I did just get woken up and told to come here, so... Very eventful morning."

Knox nods, then a light bulb seems to go off in his head.

"Speaking of just waking up, have you had breakfast yet?"

I shake my head, just now aware of how empty my stomach feels. Knox holds up a finger, disappears with his transport stone, and comes back a minute later with two trays.

"I didn't eat either," he says when I point to the two trays in question. Knox walks over and places them on a wooden table next to a big window that overlooks the city. I follow and slide into the chair opposite him. The trays of food have on it a few pieces of toast with peanut butter and bananas, a biscuit, and a smoothie. The rich smell of peanut butter wafts into my nose as I sit, making my mouth water. I dig in, looking outside at the trees as I chew.

As I'm eating, I think over this morning's events, and my dream materializes in my memory. I almost slap the table at the thought. I had completely forgotten about it.

"What..?" Knox asks, seeing my struck face.

"I just remembered this really weird dream I had. It was super vivid."

"What was it?" Knox says once he swallows a bit of bread, looking more serious now. I tilt my head a little.

"What, are dreams important or something?"

"Well, not always. But sometimes, somehow, elves can communicate through dreams."

"Oh, well, I was in a meadow. Then I walked forward a few steps and I was in a forest, a birch forest. It was super peaceful and safe-feeling, really bright too. Then I heard a voice. A male voice. It said- Ah, what did it say.." I wrack my brain, snapping my finger when it comes to mind.

"It said 'you're here,' then kept repeating my name. I think the name thing was El, though, cause she was saying my name when she woke me up."

Knox furrows his brows, thinking. I take another bite of toast as he thinks.

"Do you know who the voice was?"

I shake my head.

"It felt familiar, though," I remark once I finish chewing.

"Interesting... It probably means something. Maybe that's how you'll find out where the Heartstone is. Through dreams."

"Oh, yeah, that's a good idea," I reply, spacing out as I try to recall the dream more. I refocus my gaze when I feel something warm on my finger, and spot a trail of gooey, melted peanut butter sliding off of the toast. I don't hesitate to lick it off my finger, then remember where I am and lift my eyes. Unfortunately, Knox is looking at me, looking like he's suppressing laughter. Heat fills my cheeks, but I find myself smiling all the same.

"Shut up," I retort, wiping my finger with a napkin. At that we both start laughing, a nice sound after this morning. Maybe the laughter is half started by nervousness, but either way, it's nice to see Knox laugh, and it's nice to be laughing again.

Hot water runs over my hands, so hot it quickly makes them red. I smile into the mirror as I look at myself.

Knox's bathroom is bigger than mine, but a similar style. Wooden shower, double sinks, ornate mirror, huge soaking tub. The perfect paradise.

I try not to let our laughter fade in my head too quickly, but there is a question I've been meaning to ask all morning.

Sighing, I dry my hands and head back into his bedroom, sitting on the leather couch again.

"Okay, so I don't mean to ruin the mood, but I need to ask you something."

Knox gives me a questioning look as he walks over, turning to face me and leaning against the wall of books to my left.

"Are the Cin we're going to meet the ones who- um, killed my dad..?"

"I don't know who will be there," Knox says after a minute. "We'll just have to see. The King of the Cin killed your dad, but I doubt he'll be there. He'll probably just send a representative."

I nod, biting the inside of my cheek. It's a nervous habit, one I should probably try to break.

"And, not that I'm not grateful for your worry of me, but why were you so intent on me not going?"

I look up at Knox, who isn't meeting my gaze, but instead looking at the floor, eyes darting around like there's some invisible map he's scouring in the wood. He's quiet for so long I think he might not answer. The silence settles around me so thickly I hear a ringing in my ears. He finally answers just when I'm about to say something.

"I just- It could be a trap. I know, I know. It's not likely. But still possible. Plus, there has to be reason they want you to go too. Something other than your position because of your family."

"I was thinking that too," I reply. "But they wouldn't attack so close to Bhailewood. Would they?"

"I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they did," Knox says, running a hand through his hair idly. "They probably won't, but still. If they took you..." He trails off, a pained look on his face. I think I know what that would mean.

A knock sounds on the door before he can say anything else.

"Time to go, meet me outside," Rose says, her voice muffled through the door.

"Well, here we go," I mutter, trying to distract myself from the nerves churning in my stomach. Maybe I shouldn't have had that whole smoothie.

Knox and I walk to the middle of his room, under the sparkling chandelier. He holds his hand out and I take it, feeling his strong, warm grip in mine.

Then we disappear in a cloud of smoke.

—————————————————————————

Their happiness was short-lived LOL sorry:)

That's how it always goes in books though, right?

- A

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49.5K 2.7K 29
Once upon a time, there lived a poor little girl in the dirty streets of the human world. With her parents gone and her having to survive alone, she...
5.9M 285K 97
When Nelle Wychthorn was forced to sign herself away in marriage, she should have read the contract's fine print. Because she signs not with ink, but...
593 56 18
Book One is finally complete, please look forward to Book Two, The Chronicles of Arnora: The Zemorian Invasion! Thousands of years ago there was a gr...
85.5K 3.9K 71
"Just because we win the war doesn't mean we don't lose everything in the process." - Joey Magnom --------- Practically everyone dreams of having sup...