Born To Be

By NightTime_Storiexs

The kingdom of Zariya. Prince Archer of Zariya. Evelyn, a citizen of Zariya. The prince has now turned twenty... More

Characters
1| Cherie
2| Pins
3| Chocolate
4| Adored
5| Bribe
6| Torture
7| Jealous
8| Deal
10| Word
11| Hopes
12| Welcomed
13| Seek
14| Night
15| Stare
16| Distraction
17| Pure
18| Logical
19| Discipline
20| Photograph
21| Life
22| Enough
23| Bloom
24| Revelation
25| Electricity
26| Flip
27| Disease
28| Rules
29| Chase
30| Marry
31| Apart
32| You
33| Value
34| Farewell
35| Theatre
36| Alone
37| Soul
38| Disgrace
39| Match
40| Proposal
41| Love
42| Recap
43| Knot
44| Sinking
45| Epiphany
46| Fantasy
47| Spoiled
48| Pearls
49| Yes
Epilogue 1
Epilogue 2

9| Defeat

34.4K 1.3K 274
By NightTime_Storiexs

Chapter 9: Defeat (Evelyn's POV)

I was putting a client's gown in the plastic cover and handing it to her when the bell chimed as the door opened. I looked over, immediately realizing it was Lucas. "Have a great day," I smiled at the customer as she left. 

He walked over to me, resting his arms on the table. "Hey," he said softly. 

"Hey," I replied, giving him a small smile. 

"Can I talk to you for a moment?" he asked. 

I nodded, stepping aside with him, near the changing rooms which were currently empty. 

"Um, I can't come tonight. To the lake," he whispered. 

"Has something come up?" I questioned, trying not to show that I hurt and angry and annoyed. 

"Um, I just don't think I should with all the princesses there. I might get caught," he shrugged. 

"Oh, you might get caught?" I asked, biting my tongue to keep my temper in. I don't like being lied to and I have a hunch that he is lying to me right now. And that pisses me off. 

"Yeah, is that okay?" he asked slowly, looking at me warily. 

"Yeah, that's okay. You're here now," I smiled, taking in a breath. 

"I have to go back though," he chuckled. 

"No, I know," I nodded. "Um, can you meet me tomorrow?" I asked. 

"Yeah, yeah I can try," he agreed. 

"Okay," I said slowly. 

"Okay. Bye," he said, quickly pecking my lips before turning around and heading right out of the store. 

I sat in my chair, staring out the window and thinking about what this situation had turned into. A part of me really wants to believe that he's telling me the truth and he can't leave the palace because it's too risky. But then a part of me thinks Prince Archer was telling the truth about him seeing someone else under the bridge at midnight tonight. And it has less to do with the fact that I don't trust Lucas anymore, but more to do with the fact that I believe Archer. 

I genuinely do. I understand that he wants to marry me and that won't happen if I'm with Lucas, but I don't think he would intentionally wreck my relationship. So, what if he really is just telling me the truth? But then again, how did he even find out about us? 

I sighed, snapping out of it when a customer came up to the table. 

"I'm looking for a gown, could you please help me?" 

"Of course, what kind of gown?" I asked, walking out from around the corner. 

"An emerald green one. Preferably with a sweetheart neckline," she explained. 

"Can I know your size?" 

"I'm a small size," she answered. 

"All right, come with me." I walked her over to the gowns, focusing on the green section. This is my job, I do it every day and I know the store not only because I'm here every day, but also because I hang up the newly made dresses. "Changing rooms are that way," I pointed, handing her the two she liked most. Same shit, different day. 

.·:*¨ ✘♚✘ ¨*:·.

I sighed walking into my room. I had just come back from Fun & Food. I unbuttoned the shirt that was part of my uniform. A simple white button-up and black trousers. I put the dress that I wore in the laundry as well as this uniform since I have two sets and then I changed into my pajamas before joining my parents downstairs for dinner. 

"You seem to be getting a little friendly with the prince, huh?" my mom asked, smiling. 

"I don't really have a choice, do I? He's the prince," I shrugged, standing up and washing my dishes. 

"Open up your mind a little, honey. If he wants to marry you, what's the problem?" my dad asked. 

"There is not a problem as such, I just don't think I would survive in royalty, dad. I hate it and I don't even know it," I scoffed, washing my hands and then drying them off before putting the dishes away. 

"If you don't know it, how can you hate it?" my mom asked, shooting me a pointed look. 

I sighed, sitting back down. "I don't hate royalty as a whole, I'm sure it's luxurious and everything. But most royals are so snobby. They think they are above us, above the people of their kingdom and I find that disrespectful. This doesn't apply to every royal but..." I groaned, trying to explain. "What I'm saying is... a lot of the times royals forget that the reason they are so royal isn't just because they're born into it. It's because the people of their kingdom trust them and have faith in them. That's it," I shrugged. 

"Do you have faith in the royals of Zariya?" dad asked. 

"I do, which is why my joining them isn't a good idea. I don't bring anything to the table, dad." 

"No woman ever has, honey," my mom sighed. "The current queen. She was chosen because she looks gorgeous. The previous queen and all the ones before that were either chosen for money or looks." 

"I don't have the money that they want nor do I have the looks," I scoffed, standing up. 

"We don't have the kind of money they want, yeah," dad shrugged. 

"But we have enough for us. So... why don't I just stay in my own lane, huh?" I asked. 

"But honey, you're gorgeous. Everybody adores you. And who knows, maybe you marrying the prince could help us too," my mom suggested. 

"Do we need help?" I asked. 

"No," they shook their heads. 

"Then why are we willing to fall at their feet?" 

Silence. 

"I'll think about it, okay?" I sighed in defeat, not wanting to upset either of them. "Goodnight," I smiled, pecking both of them on the cheek before going up to my room. 

I killed time until eleven forty-five. I knew my parents were asleep by then because they both work really hard and normally knock out by eleven. I grabbed my set of keys and shoved them in my pocket before grabbing a hair tie and putting my hair up in a bun. I tiptoed out of my room and downstairs before creeping out of the house. 

The bridge that Archer was referring to, isn't too far from the lake. It's built on top of the lake just a little further away from Lucas's and my spot. I grabbed my bicycle and climbed on, biking off to the lake. 

I could walk but why would I do that at this hour? 

I got there in ten minutes with five to spare. I used those five minutes to hide my bike behind a set of trees and find a spot where I could see under the bridge but I wouldn't be seen. I sat down behind a huge oak tree that has been here for ages and patiently waited. 

A few moments later, I saw a girl walking here. She walked right past me and stepped around the water, on the stones along the lake, and stood under the bridge. She waited for around five minutes, I would say before a guy showed up. When he walked right past me, I knew it was Lucas. He's wearing the hat I bought him. He walked over there, stopping in front of the girl. Before he could even say anything, she grabbed him and smashed her lips on his. 

I couldn't look away even if I wanted to. I wanted to see what he would do. 

Would he stop her? 

No, no he wouldn't. He didn't. 

She pulled back and started saying something to him. I could see and only faintly hear them so I didn't know exactly what they were talking about. He grabbed her hands and started talking to her, appearing as though he was trying to explain something. She shook her head and said something back before kissing him again. 

I genuinely felt sick to my stomach. I could feel my eyes stinging with tears too while an aching lump formed in my throat that I could swallow past. I moved back a little before standing up. I tiptoed out of that area and grabbed my bike, accidentally rattling a few leaves. I was out of their hearing range though. I got on the bike and sped out of there going as fast as I could. 

The kingdom is mostly empty at night anyway, mostly teenagers roam around and that's about it. Or occasionally there are twenty-year-old lovesick puppies like me who get heartbroken. 

I could feel the cold air whipping my wet cheeks, making my nose and skin flushed and cold to the touch. When I got back home, I put away my bike and tiptoed back in as quietly as I could. I went up to my room, threw the keys on my desk, and fell onto the bed. 

I lay on my stomach, hiding my face in my pillow feeling suppressed sobs racking through me. I flipped over, wiped my cheeks dry before taking deep breaths, trying to calm myself down. I let my hair down while going into the bathroom where I splashed my face with some cold water. 

He lied to me. He cheated on me. He was unfaithful. 

I swore then and there to never speak to him again. I don't care what it takes. 

And the worst? I have to accept my defeat to Archer. My stupid defeat. And it wasn't even my fault.

.

.

.

.

.

Chapter 9

I'm literally writing this at 5:53 AM bro wtf

when do I sleep like...?

next chapter: word

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74 1 17
"King and Queen, I am here from somewhere far away, to deliver you something you may or may not want." said the guy with green eyes. The crying of ki...
2.7K 80 19
"You don't believe me?" he says in a whisper, caressing her chin, softly with his strong Veiny hands."Don't you feel the tingles when our eyes meet...
13.7K 2K 33
He was a prince who had lost his heart. She was a princess who had a heart of gold. The cruel fate forced them together. But what started as a nigh...
562 61 11
𖤓𝘼 𝗗𝗘𝗦𝗜 𝗥𝗢𝗠𝗔𝗡𝗖𝗘🥀 AMAYA EVAN'S the top businesswoman of NYC, blessed with a goddess face and cursed with a past that she cannot escape a...