Chasing the Pediatrician

By _leensky

Kaitlyn Reynolds is an ordinary girl, trying to pursue her career in the medical field. She was too focus on... More

Author's Note
Cast!
Chapter 1 - Call 911 Please!
Chapter 2 - Emergency Operation
Chapter 3 - Reunion
Chapter 4 - Red Dress
Chapter 5 - Baloo
Chapter 6 - Charity Gala
Chapter 7 - It's a Trap
Chapter 8 - The Ultimatum and The Preparation
Chapter 9 - Summer Camp Day 1
Chapter 10 - The Missing Boy
Chapter 12 - Someone from The Past
Chapter 13 - I Never Forget a Deal
Chapter 14 - Of Thoughts & Jealousy
Chapter 15 - Be Honest with Your Own Feelings
Chapter 16 - The Devil from the Past
Chapter 17 - Manipulative Witch

Chapter 11 - The Rescue

62 2 0
By _leensky

Kate knew it would be a bad idea to look out for Oliver alone but everyone was busy and panicking and she couldn't waste more time knowing Oliver was missing in the wilderness. Kate had her nap and feeling better but she regretted not munching something before they went to the staple and now, she only had one chocolate bar in her jacket pocket. The trail was wide enough and easy to pass by but the day was getting dark and her surroundings felt spookier than she thought.

Kate loves nature but she's been a city girl since she was little, and she camping two times and summer camp zero time. Her mom couldn't afford it at that time. Kate wished Isaac was with her now because she felt her hands were slowly shaking. This wasn't a good sign. She ate half of her chocolate bar to keep her going.

She passed a big wooden sign that said the camping area is still 3 miles. Oliver wouldn't walk that far, right? She took out her phone and turned on the flashlight. "Oliver!" she called out. But the only thing she could hear was her own breathing, and sometimes the bugs. Kate finally reached for the first checking point and found Oliver was sobbing in front of an old resting hut for the hikers. This little fella sure had the stamina to walk this far. "Oliver!" the little boy ran towards the familiar face he knew.

"dr. Reynolds!" she held him in her arms. He was crying really hard. "I got you, buddy. It's okay."

"I am so scared. I thought Oliva was with me but when I look back, she wasn't."

"Never, ever, roam around unsupervised like this again. Understood?" Oliver nodded. "dr. Reynolds, I'm cold." She hugged him tighter. "Alright, let's go inside this hut and warm ourselves."

Both of them got inside the resting hut and turn on the lamp. Luckily, it's still working. It was a small, empty hut; no chair, no blanket, nothing. Both of them sat on the floor and Kate gave Oliver half of her chocolate bar. "Aren't we going to go back to the hotel, doctor?"

"I am going to contact dr. Baker and see if he could come and get us instead." Kate has no energy to walk back to the resort, and it would be a bad idea to walk at this hour, with her blood sugar getting low like this. She could pass out anytime and she doesn't want that to happen. Not in this kind of situation.

She looked at her phone and there was no service. She couldn't make a phone call. If they walked back in the middle of the darkness, she was afraid they might get lost too. But if they stayed here for the night, she's afraid her hypo is getting worse. "Let's take a nap and wait for dr. Baker, okay?" Kate hugged him and he immediately dozed off. He must be really tired after the long walk. Kate hopes Isaac is really looking for her right now because deep down, she's scared too.

***

"Josh, wait up!" Noah tried to catch up with Josh and Luck. "Come on Charm!" Noah called his horse.

Josh couldn't lie to himself that he is worried about Kate and the kid. And after hearing the doctor's condition, he couldn't even think straight. He worried about that woman. If anything happened to them it won't be good for the resort's reputation, the hospital's reputation, his family reputation, the kid's family, and for his own mind. How could she be so reckless? She should've asked someone to go with her instead of going alone. This is really dangerous.

"Let's check the hikers' resting point," Josh suggested. "Alright let's go."

When both Josh and Noah arrived, they saw one of the hut's lights are on. It must be them. Kate and the little boy were sleeping in the empty hut. "We need to rehab these whole trails before next year." How could Josh think of something like that in this kind of situation?

"Alright boss, let's talk about the renovation when we get back to the resort, shall we?" Noah shook Kate's shoulder. She didn't respond, so Noah took the little boy in his arms.

"I'm going to get the blankets." Said Noah.

"Kate, Kaitlyn. Wake up." Kate looked pale and still didn't respond to Josh. "Kate..." he called her name one more time and her eyes made a movement. "Kaitlyn, can you hear me?" Josh whispered softly, looking worried at the lady in front of him.

"Jo-osh?" she called back, weakly. "Yes, it's me. How are you feeling?"

"My hands are shaking so bad, I need sugar..." he immediately helped Kate to sit and gave her the orange juice.

After she finished her juice, Josh helped her to stand up and walked to Luck. Noah handed him the blanket and Josh wrapped the blanket around Kate, he hugged her and lifted her so now she sat on Luck. In a swift move, he now sat behind her. "Let's go back to the resort."

Kate was still weak, Josh thought she almost fainted, luckily, they got there on time. Noah called Isaac to wait for them in the back of the hotel because if it's going to be a long walk while carrying Oliver and Kate. Both of them rode their horses to the back of the hotel. Oliver's mom ran toward Noah and Charm while Isaac and Charles ran to Josh and Luck.

"How's she doing?" Isaac asked Josh. "I gave her the juice and she was able to walk to the horse but her hands are still shaking. She's weak." He carried Kate bridal style and put her on one of the couches in the dining room. She still wrapped in the blanket.

Laura had ordered a honey lemon tea for Kate. After she finished the tea, she was able to sit straight and her hands were less shaking. "I am glad you're okay. You should've told me that you have hypo!"

"It's actually not a hypo, but I have congenital hyperinsulinism inheritance. The symptoms are the same though." Kate explained. "Lately it was getting worse but I did my monthly checkup. dr. Samuels told me it was fine to come here as long as I have my sweet treats everywhere I go."

"But you didn't," Charles said in a stern tone, making Kate afraid to look at him.

"The most important thing is you're okay and you found Oliver. Thank you so much, Kate." Laura hugged her. Kate didn't expect that. "And thanks to you Mr. Paxton, Mr. Graham." Kate was scared to look in Josh's direction, but when she does, he still looks at her intensely before he nodded at Laura and walked away.

"I'm glad you're okay Kate." Charles sat next to her after Laura and Isaac went and check Oliver. Suddenly she was nervous. What should she do?

"Thanks, dr. White." Kate looked at Charles for a few seconds, then she looks back at her cup of tea, focuses to finish it. Laura excused herself to check on Oliver with Isaac, leaving Kate alone with Charles. None of them are saying a word. 'Damn this is awkward' the thought.

Josh and Noah sit a couple of tables away from where Kate is. Isaac came up to them and thanked them for saving Kate and Oliver. "That was new a new situation, thrilling. Fun." Noah's words make him got a glare from Josh.

"If something happened to the two of them, it won't be good for the resort's, the hospital's, and the company's reputation. I hope this will never happen again in the future Mr. Graham." Josh said with a serious tone. Noah understood and nodded, "of course, Mr. Paxton."

Noah observes his best friend's gesture and how he has been looking a little bit too intense at Kate. Moreover, when Kate left alone with the other doctor. He knew something was up, but Josh probably didn't realize it. "Talk to her, Josh." His words made Josh look at him.

"I know you're worried about her. Talk to her." With that, Noah stood up and leave Josh alone with his thought.

Does he really worry about Kate that much? Is it that obvious? What if she's still giving him a cold shoulder? 'But you saved her' his ego whispered. She'll at least thank him, right? And with that, Josh stood up and walk towards Kate. He has a plan.

***

Kate feels much better after finishing her tea, but she still feels really awkward sitting alone with Charles. No talking. For some reason, she senses that Charles is mad at her, and that's what makes her scared to look at him.

Suddenly, a familiar deep voice entered her ears. "Kaitlyn, how do you feel?" She looked up to see Josh standing in front of her.

"You stole my line, Mr. Paxton. I use that line every day to my patients." Kate made a joke to melt the awkwardness away and made Josh chuckled. Hopefully, Charles will at least laugh. But he didn't.

"Is that means you're now my patient, Kaitlyn?" Kate remembered it was Josh who saved her earlier and now she doesn't know what to say. "Uhm..."

Josh's lips made a small curved, he smiled at her awkwardness without he realized. "Care to join me for a late dinner, doc?" Josh reaches out his hand. "Are you strong enough to walk, though?" He asked again, a little worried about her condition.

Kate thinks for a little bit, she hadn't had her dinner. Seeing her condition, it's a good idea to have a proper meal. "Yeah, I'd love to. And I can walk, thanks for asking." She smiled at Josh and reach out for his hand.

Josh and Kate excuse themselves at Charles and walk to the table Josh had asked the waiters to prepare. Charles didn't know what to answer just nodded at the two of them.

When Kate and Josh were about to reach their table, Kate almost fell since she's still weak. Josh, in reflex, put his arm on her waist and catches Kate on time. Josh tried to hide his smile when he noticed that his gesture made Kate blushed, again. He helped her sit down before he sits in front of her.

He is quite pleased with how the waiters set the table for them. The table is next to a big glass window, making the two of them can directly look at the vineyard. The table also set with a candle in the middle.

"What would you like to eat, dr. Reynolds?" Josh asked her while peeking at her through the menu. "It's in the house, don't worry." He added, smiling. Kate just nodded. Even though she didn't have to pay for the meal, she still considers the price for the food is too expensive. She'd never be able to afford it, she still has a college loan to pay.

"I'll order for you then. You like seafood?" Kate nodded in response. "I'll have the Fillet Mignon, and Honey Orange Salmon for the lady." Josh ordered to the waiter. Before Kate could argue, Josh asks her again, "how about dessert?"

"I don't think that's necessary, I might be too full by then." declined Kate politely. "But Isaac said you need to consume lots of sugar. So, I think you should enjoy our delicious dessert too, doc. Since you're my patient." Before she could say something, Josh ordered again for her. "One glass of red wine, one glass of water—"

"I'd like to have a pistachio and chocolate mint gelato." Kate said quickly before Josh order something for her. Josh looks at her in amusement, "I don't think I'd be able to finish heavy dessert. Don't judge me." Kate said, looking down. "I won't." he threw her a smug smile. "You hear the lady, serve the gelato after we finish our meal." The waiter nodded at Josh and took the menu back with him.

Josh stare at Kate and making it a little bit uncomfortable for Kate. She hasn't thanked him yet for his heroic action, she must say. If it weren't because of him, she'd be passed out already in the wilderness by now. She didn't want to imagine that. "Thank you for saving Oliver and me. I don't know what happened if you didn't come for us. I owe you." She gave him a genuine smile, making him smile without he notices.

"I just wish you wouldn't do such a risky action again in the future. That could threaten your life and others. In this case, Oliver. If something happened, this could be on the news also. And you wouldn't want that, would you?" Kate made an apologetical face. She knew her action was irresponsible and reckless but she knew Oliver will be scared. She nodded at him. "Yes, I know. And I'm sorry for causing so much trouble for you. It won't happen again in the future, Mr. Paxton."

"Joshua..." he warned her and she just smiled.

Their food arrived, and Kate actually starving. She tastes her salmon and the flavor explodes inside her mouth. She enjoys her meal a lot. "How's the food, doc? You like my recommendation?" Josh really enjoys seeing Kate's face while eating her dinner. "It's so good Josh. Wow." Her comment made him chuckled. "Well, I'm glad."

They both continue eating in silence, Josh steal glances every now and then. "Doc, for the past few days I can tell that you really love the kids and vice versa." This made Kate looked up to Josh. "I do love them. They are adorable. They might be a little bit different, but they are special and bright on their own ways. I've handled many kids in my resident years and I learned so much from them. That every kid is special in their own way, they just need the right kind of treatment so bring out the best of them."

Josh would describe Kate's expression when she talks about the kids or the program with excitement, joy, and passion. Her eyes will immediately lighten up and she will put out her bright smile. He nodded at her. "You just love children in general, aren't you?" Kate chuckled at him and nod. "Maybe I am."

Josh sipped his drink and look at Kate, "speaking of earlier incident, you said that you owe me?" Kate just nodded. "Well, there's a way you can pay me back..." he trailed. His words make her nervous instantly. "And what is that, Mr. Paxton?"

"Come with me to my mother's birthday party next month, as my date."

Whoops! So what do you think Kate's answer to Josh's question? Let me know on the comment! :D

_leensky

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 75 25
Brianna kissed a stranger in front of his date and experienced her first kiss with him. They met again in a gala, she was with another man but they b...
207K 8.8K 23
'Accidents happen'. That's what people say. Yet, some accidents take away from us more than others. Ethan had it all. Everything was lined up in fr...
3.5M 107K 65
❝ I don't have time to waste thinking about a boy who will only destroy my future,❞ I say getting closer to him with every word, maybe a little too c...
85.6K 7.5K 52
#1 in the desi medical romance series Her lips were inches from mine and her sweet scent filled the air between us, intoxicating me. I slid my hand d...