Seeing in Color

By a_little_forest_crow

Not everyone has a soul mate. If you do, though, a black and white mark representing something special to yo... More

Annabeth
Percy
Nico
Will
Hazel
Frank
Katie
Travis
Connor
Magnus
Alex
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Author's Note
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-six
Twenty-seven
Twenty-Eight
Apologies

Twenty-five

247 7 1
By a_little_forest_crow

Nico

How long would I have to stay here?

I rolled over and smashed a pillow against my ears as an alarm went off. Who wakes up at six in the morning on a Sunday?

Will Solace, apparently.

I heard the alarm turn off, and curiously peered from under the pillow. The blond boy sat up in bed and yawned. I blushed as he crawled out of his bed wearing only shorts. A large golden tattoo stretched across his left pectoral. He had a tattoo at this age?

I pulled my feet into the warm covers as a burst of cold air entered the room when he opened the door. He disappeared for a few moments. I had just started to fall asleep again when he returned, wearing black jogging pants and a grey tank top. He tried to tiptoe back to his bed but tripped over his laundry basket. He cursed and steadied himself on the edge of the bed. I snickered, then realized I was supposed to pretend to be asleep.

Will looked up and smiled. "Sorry I woke you. You can go back to bed, don't worry."

I sat up and rubbed my eyes. "Well, I'm up now. What are you doing?"

"Going for a run in the forest. Want to come with?" He casually asked me, most likely knowing I would refuse his offer.

It had been several months since I quit volleyball, so most people thought I had turned into a lazy couch potato. Little did they know I still exercised. A lot.

"Sure, let me change though." I pulled the covers off and slid into the chilly air. I almost regretted my decision.

"Wait, really? You want to go running, in the morning, on a weekend?" Will's blue eyes widened, illuminated by the glowing twilight seeping through the window blinds.

"Yes," I found some sweatpants and a white shirt, slipping into the closet to change. When I walked back out into the room, Will was sitting on his bed, legs crossed, scrolling through his phone.

"Mind if I play some music on my speaker while we jog?" He asked as he followed me out into the dark hallway. No one else was up in the house, or at least not up and about. We quietly made our way downstairs and out of the house.

"Sure, but if I don't like it, you're changing it," I answered, tying my running shoes, and sitting down.

Will looked down with a smile. "Good, you stretch first, too."

We both sat on the ground and stretched for a few minutes. When my back wasn't aching anymore, I stood up and reached out for Will's hand. He weighed more than I expected.

"Oof," I winced as I helped lift him to his feet.

"It's the muscle," He smiled and tapped his phone, Start a Riot suddenly blasting from his pocket. And with a cocky smile, he stuck out his tongue and raced off.

"Hey, wait up!" I called out as he jogged around the corner of the house, in between the row of fences. He was a bit faster than me, but I sped up and we jogged a few feet away from each other. We made our way into the forest, a concrete path leading us around the trees and bushes.

I hadn't gone for a run out in nature in months. Birds fluttered over my head, and small creatures scattered as we raced past their burros. No one else was on the path, so we didn't stop for what seemed like two miles. Finally, just as I started to lose my breath, Will slowed down, and stopped beside a bench beside the path. He leaned over and pulled a small cooler from underneath the seat.

"Cecil and I keep this here for any joggers. I wonder how many bottles are left," He opened it and smiled. "Bingo!"

He stood and tossed me a cold water-bottle. I caught it and chugged a few gulps, the cold condensation dripping off the bottle and down on my sweaty neck. Will pulled out his phone as he drank and sat down on the bench. PAID MY DUES blasted from the small speaker he pulled out of his pockets and placed next to his leg. I watched as his bright blue eyes scanned his phone screen. He glanced up and smiled.

"You like standing that much, or are you scared of me?" He bared his teeth, his canines sharp like a dog. I blushed, hoping it was hidden by the scarlet on my face from running.

"Fine," I sat down next to him and sipped some more water. I glanced at his phone and smiled at the sight of TikTok. Having a crappy phone, I never was able to download the app. Or any apps, really.

Just as he turned off his phone and was about to say something to me, a girl suddenly appeared on the path.

"Hey," Will waved and the girl stopped. She was around our age, with long bright blue hair with black at the roots and a heart-shaped face. She was wearing a baggy black shirt and volleyball shorts. She glanced at me and gasped.

"Nico?"

Will glanced at me. "Oh, you know Nova. That's cool."

I frowned. She smiled and tilted her head, obviously confused. "You know, Nova. From the volleyball club."

My vision blurred, and suddenly I was thrown into an old memory...

"What do you mean you can't play anymore?" A surprised voice asked, and my vision cleared. I was staring up at Nova, her hair shorter and pulled back into a high ponytail. She was wearing the black and white uniform of our club, kneepads on her legs and a shocked look on her face. She glanced at the volleyball she had rested against her wide hips, then back at me. We were in the club room, a few of the other players around us in their own conversations.

"I'm sorry," I heard my own voice say. "I have to leave. I can't play anymore."

"Is it - " She glanced around and leaned in to whisper in my ear. "Is it the cancer?"

"Shh!" I hissed and she frowned. "No, it's not. It's just, I can't play anymore because of other people, not myself."

"Oh, is there anyone you need me to beat up for you?" She flashed me her iconic daredevil smirk. I shook my head. "Just keep in touch." Her eyes widened and she frowned. "But we have that huge match tomorrow! You can't ditch on us now!"

Several heads turned, and my other teammates swarmed us.

"You're leaving?" Josh frowned; his freckled face scrunched up in confusion.

"Are you sick?" Mila leaned over and ran her brown eyes over me, as if searching for a bullet wound.

"Are you going out of town?" London tilted his head, a volleyball in his hands.

"I-" I shrugged and stared at my volleyball shoes. "I'm sorry, I can't come anymore."

"But - "

"Why?"

"NO!"

Our captain pushed through the circle and met my eyes. He nodded at me and turned to the others. "Nico has another life outside of volleyball, just like the rest of us, and we need to respect that. I'm sure he'll eventually return, but for now, let's say our goodbyes."

My teammates hugged me and wiped tears from their eyes. Nova stood a few feet away, tugging at her long blue hair and staring at the floor. The captain, Ronnie, patted me on the back and whispered in my ear.

"I really do hope you come back, Nico. We need you..."

Nova's voice rang in my head as I slipped out of my memory.

"Keep in touch!"

I never did.

"Nova?" My eyes widened as my vision cleared, back in reality. "Oh my gosh, I never thought I'd see you again!" I stood and she raced to embrace me. I could feel Will tensing up beside us. I let go of Nova and she pulled out her phone.

"This time, I'm not letting you forget me. Number, now!"

I rubbed my neck and smiled shyly. "Yeah, sorry about that. I also don't have a phone anymore, sorry."

She frowned.

Will cleared his throat and she laughed. "Sorry, Will. I just was excited to see my old friend again. How do you know each other?"

My smile disappeared. She noticed the change and shook her head. "Never mind, I should be going. See you guys around!" She raced off before either of us could speak.

I turned to face Will. "How do you know Nova?"

"She lives a few houses down from us. Moved in last month." He stood and crossed his arms, obviously mad about something. "We should be getting back."

Before I could question him, he ditched me again and disappeared around the bend. I sighed and raced after him, my cold water-bottle still in my hand.

What was wrong with him?

He never acted like this.

Did I do something?

//AN//

WHO ELSE IS EXCITED THAT NICO MAY BE GETTING HIS OWN SERIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DON'T MIND ME JUST FANGIRLING REEEAAAALLLLYYY HARD RN!!!

xoxo

your fav writer <3

p.s. WHO IS NOT FREAKING OUT ABOUT THE COVER ART OF THIS CHAPTER???? THE ARTIST IS AMAZING!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

117K 5K 47
The Potter name is nothing but a curse to the now sixteen-year-old Albus Potter. Although he might resemble his father physically, that is where the...
2.2M 130K 78
° It all started with a baby.
24.6K 617 13
It is the year following Will and Nico's wedding. Apollo has this perfect idea to try to give them kids. What happens when that plan turns into a co...
14.6K 662 13
Sophia Brandt is about to begin her first year at Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Although the disappearance of her parents still haunt...