Avatar the Last Airbender - B...

Door TeenyTinyTrain

5 years after the end of the 100 year war and the defeat of Lord Ozai, Fire Lord Zuko and Avatar Aang have su... Meer

Chapter One: Back Together
Chapter Two: A Call for Help
Chapter Three: New Hope
Chapter Four: The Eastern Air Temple
Chapter Five: The Master of the Eastern Woods
Chapter Six: The Shadow Bandits
Chapter Seven: A Distant Memory, A Distant Regret
Chapter Eight: A Past in the Sky
Chapter Nine: High Tensions inside High Walls
Chapter Ten: Sokka's Feelings
Chapter Eleven: Understanding Pain
Chapter Twelve: Girl's Afternoon Out
Chapter Thirteen: The Final Night
Chapter Fourteen: Talk About It Over Tea
Chapter Fifteen: A Good Kind of Sad
Chapter Seventeen: History of Ashes
Chapter 18: Out With The Old
Chapter Nineteen: In With The New
Chapter Twenty: Just Like Air
Authors Note

Chapter Sixteen: Charred Rugs, Broken Crowns

185 8 2
Door TeenyTinyTrain

SOKKA POV

Sokka noticed an ice berg up ahead, the grey smoke coming off the top quickly dissipating into the ice cold air. He couldn't help but smile. The idea of Zuko and Katara's safety acted like a wet blanket, putting out the fires of his fears that had been burning his insides to a crisp. 

Was Zuko cold? 

It was such a small point but it consumed his mind like a star going supernova. His mind was overrun with thoughts of the long dark hair flowing over his face like a river over the snowy mountains at home. Is that why Zuko was so beautiful? His angular features and soft hair so reminiscent of the white mountains that he explored as a child?

Nalo rested a hand on top of his. He hadn't even realised he'd been gripping the saddle so tightly, but her light touch allowed him to relax his muscles. 

"Your father will be alright, we will make it in time." How selfish. His father was in danger and Sokka had allowed himself to be distracted by...other thoughts. He nodded at Nalo. She studied his face slightly, forcing Sokka to hold her gaze. "Zuko is a powerful bender. He will be alright too."

Sokka felt heat rising in his face. Was he that obvious? Sokka's eyes dashed between each of his friends. God did Zuko...?

"Relax," called Aang, "he's as dense as you. He probably doesn't know a thing!" Aang smiled at Sokka with a gleam in his eyes. Looking between each person around him, he saw the same look of trust and care in each of their faces. He felt a smile tug at the corners of his mouth. For the first time in a while, he felt truly home with his friends. 

-----------------------------------------------------

The state of his Tribe immediately ruined his mood.

Most of the stray fires had been put out, but there were still several physical fights raging across the port and further into the Tribe.  Fully trained, master fire benders versus water benders who were hardly half as good or even non-benders. 

Sokka drew his club, on the look out for Zuko, Katara or his father. The proof of their arrival was the large, red dragon circling round high in the sky, shooting rounds of fire at the Southern Raider's ships. 

Nalo rushed to his side as Aang helped Toph down from Appa. The snow and ice prevented her from going bare feet and was subsequently blind. Nalo had pulled her scarf back over her face, leaving only her eyes free. She scanned the scene, taking in the terrain and damage. 

His father should have been out there, fighting benders, and winning! Why wasn't he? Did they capture him? How? Sokka's mind began to whirl with all the possibilities. He supposed maybe if his father had been taken by surprise then he could have been taken hostage...but where?

His eyes locked on the building straight ahead. 

"Aang! The Hall!" Aang looked up and nodded, understanding what he meant. Sokka grabbed Nalo hand and dragged her behind him. They ran down the main street, Nalo bending water to put out fires whenever they passed one, and towards the scorching building. The gardens were decimated and the front down blown open, but the two people outside were wearing Southern Raider uniform, their hands and feet stuck to the ground in blocks of ice. Katara

Sokka jumped over them, pulling Nalo with him, and hoped that Aang followed suit. They moved quickly through the corridors and rooms, looking for any sight of Katara and Zuko or Hakoda.  

The further they moved into the hall, the more doubtful Sokka was that Aang was going to find them in here. Hopefully Toph would be able to remove her shoes indoors. 

The building become hotter and Sokka felt the need to remove his coat - though he didn't move out of the fear of being discovered. The paintings on the walls were blackened and the furs below his feat charred. The torches that usually hung from the walls were gone or empty, forcing the corridors into almost darkness.

Clink

His foot his something on the floor and he beckoned Nalo over to lend him some light. 

He suddenly wished she hadn't.

There, on the remains of a destroyed polar bear pelt, lay the golden crown of the Fire Lord. The edge of it was bent and there was the faintest sign of blood at the very crest. Sokka felt fear rise in his chest. 

How? 

How? 

How? 

How? 

How? 

How? 

Nalo pulled him upright, scooping the crown into the folds of her trousers as she did. She held Sokka's face with two hands and forced him to hold eye contact. 

FOCUS. 

Sokka nodded. They forced on into the increasing heat.

The floor creaked slightly under Sokka's feet and he cursed himself in every way he knew how. The door up ahead had to be the right one - the burnt handle and the light seeping out from under the door - and any noise could give them away. Sokka pushed his face up against the gap between the door and the frame, Nalo squeezing herself in below him.

He could just make out the figure of a man pacing around the room, dragging what looked like a sword behind him by scraping it along the floor. He was speaking to someone. Sokka swapped to put his ear to the gap - Nalo the eyes and he the ears. 

"I won't wait much longer! The Avatar gives me what I want or I level your puny village!" There was the sound of a boot hitting something and a groan before it was cut off by a muffled yell, muffled screaming came from somewhere else in the room.

Dad. Katara. 

"No! Stop, leave him. Please." Sokka's chest tightened. The voice was hoarse and it sounded like their mouth had something in it - but it was Zuko. Footsteps. His fathers groans became softer as the first man spoke again. 

"You think because you wear that crown and you've got the Avatar at your side, you're better than him. You're not. The Fire Nation used to be powerful, the other nations would crumble at the very thought of us, but now," he paused and Sokka heard Zuko gasp - where the hell was Aang? "Now, we're poor, our economy is crumbling and you don't seem to be able to do anything about it. You sit on your thrown and leave us to suffer. You're no Fire Lord. You're no great leader. You're no son of Ozai." There was a thud and Zuko started coughing. The man laughed. "Good job we pulled that retched crown from your head - you don't deserve it. Once the Avatar gives me what I want. I'll kill you and return the crown to the rightful ruler - Fire Lord Ozai!" 

Sokka stepped back, dragging Nalo with him. He looked back down the corridor but saw no sign of Aang or Toph. He couldn't wait for them - Zuko, Katara and his father were in there and they didn't appear to be winning the battle. 

His strapped his club to his back again and motioned to Nalo to get behind him. She tightened her scarf and readied her hands to fight. Sokka gripped his boomerang and ran straight at the door, jumping at the last second to kick it down. It hit the floor with a crack and Sokka threw his boomerang straight at the Raider in front of him.

All hell broke loose. 

His boomerang came straight back and his rammed his knee into the man, vaguely aware of Nalo rushing in behind him. Another raider charged at him, hands aflame, but Sokka dodged and landed a well placed punch in the side of his neck. He gasped for breath and Sokka took the opportunity to swap his boomerang and club and knock the guy out. 

He glanced around the room. His dad was lying on his side, face bloody but his eyes were open and staring into Sokka's - beaming with pride and hope. Sokka went to go to him when the air around him turned to pure heat. He threw himself to the floor and rolled backwards as the fire shot over his head. 

He hooked his club behind the man's foot and toppled him onto the floor. Sokka scrambled to his feet, flipping his club in the process. He slammed in into the mans jaw, hoping he dislodged a few teeth in the process, and threw him into the wall for good measure. 

In the corner of his vision he could see Katara kneeling over their father, forming a wall of ice between them and the fight. Nalo had one guy on the floor and another against the wall. Sokka took the chance to run to Zuko. 

He was curled up, shivering with his winter coat nowhere to be seen. He had one hand wrapped loosely around his neck, the other trying to lift him from the floor. Sokka fell to his knees, dropping his club and grasping Zuko's face. There was an ugly gash across his cheek and his good eye was starting to bruise. Zuko tried to focus on his before noticing something behind him.

He threw his hands around Sokka with speed that shouldn't of been possible for someone in his state, rolling them over and into a smoking cabinet as fire charred where they had just been sitting.  

Zuko gasped, grasping at his side. Sokka whirled to face the first Raider, standing despite the blood dripping down his face. Sokka gripped the cabinet, grasping at an object on top.

He grabbed his machete, fumbling with the other weapon. He knew what it was now - the irony made him want to sob. 

"Puny Water Tribe peasant. Go on," taunted the Raider, fire burning in both hands, "hit me with your best shot of water and watch how I evaporate it."

Sokka stared into the fire and felt anger bubble in his chest. Ever since he'd been born he'd been at a disadvantage. He'd been overshadowed and forgotten about - forced to grow up way too face. No matter where he went, he was always the underdog, always under prepared. He lived the opposite way to 'don't bring a sword to a bending fight' expression because he had no other choice. He would always be second best - second to Katara, second to the North, second to any bender to ever live. Second to his own father. 

The metal fans in his hand extended and wrapped around itself, forming a shield - she was with him. 

She never needed bending. 

The Raider opened his mouth, but Sokka lunged before his could speak. He knocked his hand back and swung with his sword, cutting along the man's robe. He stumbled backwards, raising his hands. Sokka deflected the fire into the roof, hearing it dissipate as it hit the ice. He hooked his machete under the man's throat, pushing him into the wall. 

"I don't need bending to take you out. I never had, and I never will," he spat in his face. He swung her shield, hitting him square in the face and removing the blade as he crumpled to the floor.

He breathed in heavily. He crumpled at Zuko's side, pulling off his coat to throw it over his shivering body. Zuko gripped his hand, trying to smile at him through his grimace as he sat slowly. He leaned into Sokka, resting his head on his shoulder and allowing his hair to fall over his face.

In that moment, nothing else mattered. Sokka allowed himself to be consumed by the rhythmic rise and fall of Zuko's chest and feeling of his hand in his. The world and fire fell away and all that matter was their frantic hearts beating as one. 

One thought consumed all available space in Sokka's mind and body:

I love you

------------------------------------------------------

Fellas, is it gay to break down a literal door cause you hear your bro getting strangled and compared to his emotionally and physically abusive father? Asking for a friend....

Sorry it's a rather long chapter :( I hope you enjoyed it anyway! Drop me a comment to let me know! I'm gonna be at home a lot more (guess who's in national lockdown number 2 lol) so hopefully I'll be able to be more regular with updating for a while! Sending love and safe wishes <3

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

3K 146 23
Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. Then the Fire Nation attacked. But there was not war everywhere. In the Fire Nation, Akira, a c...
15.2K 624 20
ᡃ αΆ»α΅˜α΅α΅’ Λ£ Κ³α΅‰α΅ƒα΅ˆα΅‰Κ³ - 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐩π₯𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐝 - "π™ΊπšŽπšŽπš™ πš’πš 𝚊 πšœπšŽπšŒπš›πšŽπš..πš™πš•πšŽπšŠπšœπšŽ?" 𝙸 πš•πš˜πš˜πš”πšŽπš 𝚊𝚝 π™Έπš›πš˜πš‘ πšœπšŒπšŠπš›πšŽπš. βžͺ A story about a y...
127K 3.5K 37
Kya is now taken captive to the Fire Nation and faced with choosing herself over her beliefs. Siding with Azula for a better chance at survival Kya s...
3.1K 240 16
Long ago, the four Nations lived together in harmony. Then the Fire Nation attacked. The world was about to change forever and for the airbenders, th...