I'll Protect You (Original Ve...

By orangechicken

Whoever wished they could live the life of royalty deserved a punch in the face. Meet Park Sparrow, a feisty... More

Author's Note
Introducing Park Sparrow, Princess of Cimeria
Introducing Logan Cross, intellectually gifted and a prodigy agent
The princess and the totally and completely unnecessary bodyguard
Have good taste in ties; kings like that
The poor decisions of Logan Cross
Serenaded with the beautiful Call Me Maybe
A not-so-friendly game of hide-and-go-seek in the city
Studying abroad equals Not in Cimeria
B.E.F.L: Best Enemies For Life
Sweaters are appealing. Not shoulders.
Welcome to Cimeria; and keep off the dragonlilies
The Greeks have their gods, we Cimerians have dragons
The destruction damage of a white shoe
I'm the Short Demon Loser from Hell, not Gorgeous
Don't be late for dinner.
There's a Code:Red--and there's a Code:Zero.
You need a poker face lesson from Lady Gaga.
Confessions of an iron-heart princess.
It's a happily never after, at least for me.
A duet isn't complete without sparks flying.
ADHD dreams of dragons and monsters.
Quoting song lyrics? I really need a therapist....again.
The princess, the knight, and the wizard all hate each other. That's not good.
I'm going to have nightmares about Tropical Paradise
Two is better than one. Especially as back-up.
CSI: Investigation--Paradise Coffee's Special Edition
I used to love story time--until I found out that I had amnesia.
Where's the assassin when you really need him?!
I hereby declare you Witch!
Betrothals sound more magical in a fairy tale.
High Frequency Sound Wave of Shut The Hell Up
We're star-crossed haters, Sunglass Dude and I.
The royals fight fire with fire.
Nothing good ever comes out of Advanced Chemistry
The secret life of sitting in a hospital, and witnessing a miracle happen
Once upon a time: Archer Sparrow's mysterious and danger-filled life version 2.0
Like Taylor Swift says--No amount of vintage dresses gives you dignity
I heard the Grim Reaper is bad luck; unfortunately, he gave me a boat ride
I'm a walking contradiction--yes, like the song.
Liar, Liar, but my pants aren't on fire
Wake up and smell the coffee--Park Sparrow will always be better than you
Lemon chapstick is beyond amazing
I Legolas You.
Nightmares that sound more like the first five minutes of a horror movie
I know what a stock market is, dammit!
Taking pictures with Santa and the elves.
You can't offer revenge--that's playing dirty!
Cookies and presents: Park's therapeutic care for traitors
Useless autograph? My signature is worth five hundred dollars on eBay!
Arsonage is a rather grim subject. For Sparrows? It's a regular debate topic.
The Order of the Dragons aren't very orderly at all. Trust me.
Introducing Flynn Darkwood: the boy who ran away
A how-many-miles-did-you-just-say hike during the storm of the century
I set fire to the rain--no, no, I didn't mean to do it literally!
Have a little more faith in my survival skills, people.
Alright, who came up with the idea to put seven noble clans in one room?
Trading secrets in Drageryian Hall.
Epilogue

Mission:Impossible; Park Sparrow is secretly Ethan Hunt.

452K 5.5K 1K
By orangechicken

"Jasper is three years younger than me. However, it was never released to the press that my mother was pregnant for a third time. My mother didn't want to expose her child to this kind of world. After what happened with Archer..."

"Jasper was kept a secret. Except from the Court, and selective members of XYZ, our friends, and our distant family. No one in the social media knows that the boy who is supposed to be a distant cousin of the Sparrow clan is actually the third heir."

"Is that why--"

"Yes, that's why if any agents that are to get involved with the Royal Family, they take an oath, they sign the oath, and they vow to never speak a word unless given royal content. That means you."

I stole a fleeting look at Crossarply. I chuckled shakily, still not believing that I was about to tell him everything about my family. But he was my bodyguard, and someone--someone I could trust. And he needed to know in order to function in this family.

"I was ten," I began again. "Archer was thirteen at that time; Jasper was seven. As a treat, my father took Archer to a branch office of XYZ. My father used to be an agent himself, and Archer always loved that type of dark stuff. But a few days after they left, the palace received a phone call."

"My father and Archer had been under attack. I remember sitting by the fireplace, crossing my fingers and begging the world that my brother and father would come home alive."

"The next day, my mother received a call. The king and the young prince were alive," and I laughed bitterly at the words young prince. "There had been assassins stationed at XYZ, who attempted to kill my father and Archer. And one of them almost got close to killing my father. Archer had intervened, but he accidentally killed one of the assassins."

Logan's hand tensed in mine. Was he disgusted already? I knew some people that found out that piece of information and turned against us, calling us murderers and traitors. But Logan pulled me into his arms, stroking my hair back from my surprisingly wet face. Was I crying? When did this happen?

I sucked up my tears and continued on.

"The Court stripped Archer of his title because of what would happen if anyone were to ever find out that he killed somebody, accident or no accident. It could cause uproar in the kingdom, and result in wars to find someone who can sit on the throne. So I became the heiress while Archer took up agent duty. He hasn't been home since."

"Park, you don't have to keep telling me this--" he began, however I cut him off.

"No, I do. Another assassination attempt was executed the summer that I enrolled at Cross Academy. I had been at a party with my mother and father, being introduced as the new heiress when someone tried to sneak a bullet at me. Later that night, a sniper almost killed me but instead shot my brother's potted plant above me. My mother was furious. She contacted your mother to see if I could escape to Paradise and find safety there under the watchful eyes of the Sparrow's most trusted friends."

"And now the attempts are starting up again. They're always targeted at me, because if I die, assumably there is no longer an heir, meaning the throne would be offered up to a different clan."

"Is that why I was hired?" Logan asked.

"Yes," I sighed. "And who else but Caterina and Lance's only son, a prodigy and worthy guard? I guess I could call you my knight in shining armour," I joked half heartedly. "My parents were thinking of letting Jasper go public. He's the trump card. In case anything ever does happen to me, the enemy still wouldn't have won. They'll release Jasper to the public, telling everyone how they just wanted to keep him safe and under the radar. And the Sparrows will still have claim to the throne."

"But they have him. It means they know, Logan, they know."

"It's like a game of chess," I began muttering to myself. "Jasper is the hidden pawn, close enough to enemy territory to bring back a strong player. But if you take out the pawn, that leaves only the queen. And if she's destroyed...there'll be no one left to protect the king. I'm the queen, the king is the throne to Cimeria. It all makes sense now!"

"Sparrow, what are you talking about?" Logan sighed right as I jumped away from him, pacing back and forth along the edges of the bed.

"Take me with you," I requested, hardening my gaze, any trace of weakness instantly vanishing in a flash. "I want to question the guy about who he works for. I want to find out how they know about Jasper."

"No," he snapped. "If your story did anything, it just backed up Six's reason to keep you here. I'm not letting you get in danger."

"I know I can do it! I know how to protect myself. But I want to protect my little brother and my kingdom, is that so wrong?" I argued, throwing my hands up in the air and jumping off the bed.

"When it comes down to your life, then yes it is!" he retorted. Logan sauntered past me and yanked open the door. "I swore to protect you with my life. And even if I wasn't bound to a contract signed by a blue pen, I'd still protect you. Have you ever thought about how I would feel if you got hurt?"

He looked as though he was suffering by coughing out every word. Anger and confusion was plain in his eyes. My resolution faltered as I thought about what the consequences of my actions would do to him and everyone else.

"I'll bring him back, Sparow. Do me a favor and make my job easy by staying safe," he barked. The doors closed with a loud bang. Sinking to my knees, I took in what he said. That was true--if anything happened to me, my family would crumble. Archer's visits back home were rare and scattered. I was away for most of the year. Now Jasper was kidnapped, and if I went after him...it could mean the end of the Sparrow clan.

Then there was that possibility, however slight and hazardous it may be, that I would be able to bring back Jasper and find out who the hell was behind all of this. And, my dear friends, if there is one rule that just about sums up my thought process: never listen to Logan Cross.

* * *

About ten to fifteen agents had stayed behind, providing extra security for the castle. Two royal guards were posted outside my door, quietly conversing with each other. There were agents patrolling the stairs and hallways, the gardens and the main entry way.

Like that was going to do any good.

I was sitting in a corner of my closet, knowing that density of the walls and clothes would cover my voice as my phone dialed one of my best friend's number. Hopefully he would pick. Or hopefully his phone was still functioning--he had an awful habit of dropping his phone (especially in water).

"Hello?"

"Zen, I need your help."

"Oh, really? The powerful, talented, too good to talk to her own friends princess actually needs this lowly computer boy's help?"

"Jasper's been kidnapped." Silence. Boy, did I know how to pull a surprise topic. Props to me, woo hoo!

"Alright, hit me."

"My mother was on a call with him right before he got kidnapped. Like, literally. A text was sent to her phone after as well. Can you trace it for me?" I asked quietly. A noise was reciprocated on the other end, which was probably Zen scoffing at my request.

"Can I? Have you forgotten who Zen Li is? I'm already on it, princess," he informed. Across the phone, I could hear the click clacks of keys smacking against each other.  "I take it they ordered you to be locked up and kept in detainment while they retrieve Jasper?"

"Bingo," I said, blowing out my breath. Zen had been my closest friend for as long as I could remember. If I could trust anyone with my life, it would be him. Although I've had suspicions that he might sell my life for a new fancy gadget.

Several minutes passed by; I waited silently with the phone pressed tightly against my ear. My palms were sweaty and the case of my phone grew slippery. But at last, I heard Zen's breath of victory.

"He's at Laguna Bay," Zen said. "It's at the docks, but that's all I could get. The signal they used was actually a local restaurant's Wifi. Whoever is in control of the hacking is incredibly skilled. But, they were no match for me." He was smiling, I bet, leaning back in a chair. He'll crack his fingers and smirk soon.

"I miss you, Zen. Thanks for this," I whispered. "I'll see you soon."

"You better," he threatened. "I remember a promise about a Lord of the Rings rerun before The Hobbit comes out."

I laughed softly at this. "Wish me luck."

"Like Park Sparrow actually needs it."

The line disconnected at once. A moment was paused so I could check to hear if anyone was approaching me in my room. When the coast was declared clear by myself, I went into operation mode.

A pair of shorts and a -tshirt was no longer needed for tonight. My legs were now pulled into the tightest black jeans to have ever existed. A black tanktop was adorned. I bunny-hopped out of the closet while pulling socks and boots onto each foot, nearly falling over at one point. I donned a small leather jacket that had a sewed in gray hood.

There was no way to leave the palace in a normal fashion. My doors were guarded, and I was going to bet my life that Six had positioned the agents in the most obvious escape plans. But, you see, Six doesn't have the mind of a ridiculously imaginative seventeen-year-old.

I knew that the window was the most basic option. However, Six thought that a five-story drop would scare the hell out of me. That was his first mistake. His second mistake was to let me stay in my bedroom by myself, and not bothering to check if I kept any weapons or escape ladders. Idiot.

I didn't keep weapons, because when my mother found out, she confiscated them a while back. And escape ladders were forbidden in any of the Sparrow trio's roms. However, I had plenty of resources. Archer always said, "Think outside the box."

That's where the handy-dandy bedsheets come along. I would've preferred actual rope, but hey, you take what you have. At that moment, I upturned my bed, turning my comforter, blankets, and sheets everywhere. I took away the pillow sheets as well.  A good fifteen minutes was spent binding the ends together, and then checking them all so I could prevent myself from breaking my neck.

As soundlessly as I could, I threw open the doors to my balcony, allowing a fresh breeze to fly through. The sky was growing dark--that could provide a good cover. I dragged the string of sheets over to the bottom of the railing so I could tie it down.

Don't try this at home, my friends. I'm not kidding.

My descent towards the earth was slow and antagonizing. I felt like my grip was going to turn on me and that I would plummet to my death. Now I was just being melodramatic. It was hard not to, knowing that the strands of sheets could loosen at any given moment. However, the real horror didn't settle in until I was merely fifteen feet above the ground.

My feet was barely scraping the top of an archway. I knew where this was. It was the open corridor right outside of the ballroom. And I knew for a fact that there were agents in the there.

I hung there, gripping onto the rope with my life. I could drop now and possibly sprain and/or break a few bones in my body. Or, I could continue climbing slowly and risk being caught by any stray eyes.

I'll take the broken bones.

Taking a deep breath, I let go. My legs were buckled, my arms spread out and ready for impact. The fall was short and quick, and once my toes touched the ground, I rolled forward to avoid hurting myself anymore. The fall had made me a tad bit sore, as my steps advancing towards the "secret path" sent shocks of pain up and down my body.

The Cimerian Palace had a secret way out back. It was mainly used for escape, and the knowledge was passed down like a traditional story. No one else knew about--not even Six. So I dove through the rose hedges, and the trees that my mother insisted on planting. I jumped over bushes of flowers and herbs. In the very eddge of the palace borders were gates. Of course we had gates. But what no one knew was that one of the rods in the gates could be taken out.

I removed and slipped through the unnaturally large gap before inserting the rod back and heading off into the city. I jogged at a steady pace (one that can keep up with a pretty decent sports car--no, I'm totally joking), hoping to find a bus station that could take me to Laguna Bay.

I found one, overflowing with masses of people. I took my place in the crowd, throwing my hood and casting my head towards the sidewalk. I hoped I look relatively normal. The bus didn't come until another five minutes, and I was the first to board, standing by the front, so I could be the first to depart.

 Twenty minutes later, I hopped off the bus, "forgetting" to pay my bus fare as my boots pounded the sand filled cement. I'm pretty sure that the bus driver was shouting for me to get back and cough up my spare change. Hey, I bet Ethan Hunt paid for his bus fare--I don't think he really paid for anything really.

 My plan sucked. I know it did, don't give me that look, my dear reader. I'm all alone, no backup, with no one else in the world knowing where I was besides Zen. I wasn't armed, and I didn't have a clue who my enemy was, or where they even were, specifically. And I'm pretty sure that Six had the entire place surrounded; if he saw me, then I was going to be guarded in one of their cars for the rest of the mission.

I left the crowded beach, where some type of party was taking place, and headed up the boardwalk of Laguna Bay. People were shopping or being lead around by one of those annoying tour guides. Zen had said the signal came from a restaurant--A Sailor's Plate. I saw the restaurant just in front of me and I quickened my pace.

However, when I took a peek through the glass doors, I saw nothing that would seem like a royal kidnapping taking place. Want to hear a more peculiar thing? I saw no agents either.

I'm not the most moronic person to have ever walked this earth. When the secret third child of the Sparrow clan is kidnapped, and he happens to be royal, there's going to be some type of agent activity going on. Six called a Code: Zero in the Cimerian XYZ headquarters. He said he had hackers find the signal and went to bring back Jasper. He said that about....almost an hour ago. Yet here I was, standing where Zen had said the signal came from and I didn't see any agent.

Something was wrong.

I didn't know where to go next. Jasper's captors wouldn't hide somewhere in public. They needed somewhere private. Abandoned warehouses, underground sewers, or maybe even a boat. There weren't warehouses in Laguna Bay. If they decided to go play stupid, then they'd choose the sewers. However, it was high tide--their common sense level had to be nonexistent if they went underground.

Then perhaps a boat?

I ran to the boat docks, where hundreds of water transportation vehicles sat, tied and parked. I ran them all through an mental scan, trying to locate one that was perfect for a machination. I kept running and running--my breath was beginning to run out, my legs began to cramp, something sore was starting up in my side.

Salty tears were beginning to brim at the rims of my eyes. Frustrated, I let out a shout and fell to the wood below me. What if I was wrong? What if he wasn't on a boat? What if Zen had been fed a fake signal and Jasper was actually somewhere in the city?

I raised my sight to the cliffs that loomed somewhere close to the end of the docks. My eyes strayed below and widened at the object presented to me. 

It was a washed up cruise ship, still towering high with broken windows and dented sides. Muck, sand, and seaweed clung to the hull. Even from far away, I saw the name painted on the sides, several letters missing. I knew what ship it was though.

The White Dragon had been a famous carnival cruise ship once; probably the best in its business. After a while, the ship became old and it was sold to a museum. Right now, it was supposed to be in repairs, not near the dangerous cliffs of Laguna Bay, looking haunted and ghastly.

Jasper had to be there. I felt full of energy as I stood up once again and resumed my sprint. I was going to get him back by today. I knew I would.

The end of the dock loomed up ahead of me. I was still around thirty feet away from the shore with no other possible way of getting there besides swimming. Well, there was a boat but it was already on the shore, far away from where the tide could get it. Clever son of a gun.

So I jumped, refusing to waste time. I knew how to swim, and I could dry myself off later. When my body hit the water, my memory recalled that high tide was coming in. Crap! A wave was appearing, and my heartbeat picked up furiously. I clung onto a beam that held up the docks with all my strength, praying that I wouldn't end up afloat in the sea.

I waited until the waves seemed less angry--high tide wasn't over, I knew that. But I seized the first chance I got and swam towards the sand. My arms and legs felt like I was swimming with titanium bracelets shackled on me.

Finally, with a push of one of the incoming waves, I washed up onto the shore. My lungs were filled with salt water, and it was a struggle to cought it all out. I laid for a minute or two, regaining as much energy as I could.

Then I got up. My legs were shaky and I was having trouble seeing straight. Did they poison the water around here or something? I stumbled and staggered when I walked up. The cold of the air began to pierce my skin as the clothes began to stick like saggy glue.

The trip to the cruise ship was short. I arrived at the base of the thing in no time. How did they get Jasper up there? Was there a ramp or something?

The answer to my question was: there had been a ramp, but it had been destroyed. Recently too, may I add. Great. Now how the hell am I supposed to get up onto the deck? Did they honestly expect me to climb it using my bare hands?

There was a rope ladder dangling over the side. Someone had pushed it over the deck and kept it down. My suspicions peaked. Someone was expecting me. No one just leaves a rope ladder hanging over the side of an old, unused Cimerian cruise ship.

I didn't care. Without another pause, except to wonder if I was going to be ambushed, I slipped my hands and feet onto the ladder and began to climb. This was so much simpler than my string of blankets back at the palace.

I did slip a few times, since the water hadn't completely left my boots, and the sand made it hard to stay resolute. But at last, I neared the deck. There were two built in lamp stations on either side, where the two strings of the ladder had been tied to. I threw myself onto the ledge, swinging my legs onto the deck before I hopped down.

Click-clack.

I froze instantly as two different yet equally cold objects were shoved onto the sides of my head. Slowly, my eyes flickered to both sides. Tall, broad shouldered men wearing black trench coats and black sunglasses held their guns to my head. Judging from the rich color of their heir, their smooth skin, and their stance, hey were young,somewhere in the range of my own age.

I moved my gaze towards the front. A gasp fell from my lips.

Jasper sat in a chair, looking bloody and bruised (not to mention unconscious). Blood and ichor oozed from his clothes and the wounds on his face and arms. He had a black eye and cut lips. Another man stood next to him, his back turned to me. He wasn't wearing a trench coat like his henchmen, but a black t-shirt with matching color jeans.

Wait, let me change that: it was a boy standing there.

Because when he turned around, his face wasn't old and wrinkled, battered with scars. His eyes weren't shrewd. He had a lot of hair, but it wasn't graying. His face was young and full of youth. His dark green eyes were wide and surprised, not expecting to find Cimeria's very own princess to be standing there. And his hair was black like a raven's feathers. If I were to turn on a light and shine it at him, I knew it would appear blue or purple.

I didn't know who he was, but I knew he wasn't the one who wanted my thrown. He was a tool--a pawn. Frustration shot through me and I sighed in exasperation. How long until I got to see the actual mastermind?

"The princess of Cimeria?" he gasped. He turned to his henchmen, a fine eyebrow raised. "Isn't this surprising?" They said nothing.

"Who are you?" I spat.

"I don't think you understand the position you're currently in. I am not the one susceptible to bullets at the moment, so I'll be the one asking the questions," he drawled. Oh, so he talked like me. Dang, if he hadn't kidnapped my brother, I would've been his friend in an instant.

"So, Park Sparrow, what are you willing to do for your little brother?"

And in a flash, chaos erupted. I had grabbed the arm of the boy on my left side and pulled him downward, punching him quickly before leaping out of the way to handle the other guy. Everyone was standing around in shock, and I used that against them. I stole a right hook towards one of the guys, and aim for a chop at his stomach. Grabbing the front of his trench coat,  I pulled him up and gave him another punch, this one knocking him into unconsciousness.

The other boy lunged for me, his gun still in his right hand. I grabbed his wrist and twisted it. He let out an angry yowl but the weapon dropped. He made an attempt to grab for it, but I kicked it as hard I could, and it shot over the edge, probably falling into the water. He raised a fist and managed to land a few blows on my face and at my ribs, ridding me of air several times.

My feet gave out and I tumbled to the floor, gasping for air. He aimed a foot at me; I sprang out of the way just before he could kick my sides. I kept on rolling until I was a good distance away, then I charged at him. He held out his arms to stop me, just like I expected. I ducked below his outstretched arms, hitting him directly in the stomach, knocking out his air. I stepped on his arm, and he screamed. With one final hit, he fell unconscious, just like his comrade.

Quickly, I grabbed the remaining gun and pointed it at the remaining boy, whose green eyes had widened into quarters with his mouth hanging open.

"Now," I breathed, smiling charmingly, then brushed the strands of hair that had fallen out of my wet ponytail away from my face,  "who's in the position to ask question again?"

____________________________

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas everyone! This is like...my virtual gift to all of you who read my story. It's the longest chapter I've ever written -- I think; I actually don't know how long it's gonna be -- but I hope you guys enjoy it. Hopefully I can update this week or maybe even tomorrow. Everyone enjoy your holidays and break and I hope you have an amazing day (:

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night,
                                 Santa Claus

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

157K 2.6K 100
!Book one out of three! There is a part two to this book you don't have to read it but if you would like to it's called "My princess to the Black Wid...
40.4K 1.2K 26
Princess Aurora was kidnapped as a child and thrown into the brutal world of pirates and slavery. Many years later she is rescued by the handsome Pri...
15.6K 477 20
orenda ~ 𝘢 𝘮𝘺𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘭 𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘤𝘦 𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘪𝘯 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘦𝘮𝘱𝘰𝘸𝘦𝘳𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘮 𝘵𝘰 𝘢𝘧𝘧𝘦𝘤𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘭�...
406K 26.6K 53
After failing as a vampire hunter, 17-year-old Cleo is sent to an academy full of vampires as a false peace treaty. Her true objective is supposed to...