To Deceive A Duke

By vickitickitoria

{Shortlisted for the Wattys 2022} It's 1798 and The Lenoir family controls a significant part of London's dre... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Epilogue

Chapter 10

3.3K 204 13
By vickitickitoria

Clarissa plasters a pleasant smile on her face as she approaches Lord Mathew and his girl. She recognises the petit auburn-haired girl as Jane Monroe, his intended. Jane's childlike innocence seems to radiate over Mathew making him appear younger, and he looks happy as he dotes on her. Jane notices her first, she nudges her fiancé, who turns his head and looks surprised to see Clarissa coming towards them. 

"Frenchie!" He cries, he clears the space between them and embraces her. She rolls her eyes as he gives her a bear hug. She pats his back affectionately in return.

"Mathew,  it is good to see you."

He lets go of her and seizes Jane's hand. "Frenchie, you must meet my fiancée, Jane Monroe."

Jane smiles bashfully at her and curtsies, Clarissa inclines her head and returns the action.

"I am delighted to meet you, Miss Monroe."

"Oh please call me Jane, any friend of my beloved, is a friend of mine," Jane says warmly, and Mathew looks at her adoringly.

"Janie, this is Clarissa Lenoir, but I call her Frenchie. She's French you see." He explains, "We have known each other a long time,  since we were infants I reckon."

"Miss Lenoir, you are part of the Lenoir family? My father is an investor with your father I believe." Jane says polietly, "He says you make him lots of money."

"Lord Monroe is a generous investor and supporter of my father, who will be delighted to hear that I have made your acquaintance," Clarissa replies smoothly. Little does Jane know that her father is invested with her, not her father. 

Jane suddenly looks worried, "Friend surely. Only I haven't many companions, I think the other girls are jealous of my engagement."

A pang of sympathy shoots through Clarissa, the young girls of society can be quite bitter. 

"Of course Frenchie will be your friend!" Mathew says immediately, giving Clarissa a warning glance.

"I'd be delighted." She says, she touches Jane's hand reassuringly, "Most young ladies are petty and foolish, I have no doubt they are jealous. Try not to trouble yourself with their opinions."

Jane beams and takes her hands, "You are kind, I would love to get to know you more." She looks to the ballroom, her face falls slightly,  "But I must attend to my parents. I will leave you two to catch up."

Clarissa smiles and Jane leaves, not before kissing the back of Mathew's hand. 

"She's is delightful." Clarissa says once she is out of earshot, "How on earth did that happen?"

Mathew snorts, "I know she's not your type of person, but she is pure of heart and it troubles me that she is unhappy. So be kind to her and be her friend." His face shows his genuine sorrow. 

"I will be kind to her." Clarissa promises, "As long as you are too."

"What is that meant to mean?" He asks defensively. 

"I've known you a long time Mathew, I have seen you at your worst moments and they aren't pretty," Clarissa says cautiously. 

"I haven't been to your part of town since I met Jane!" Mathew declares indignantly, "I am a changed man. I am a scoundrel no more!"

"Don't change too much or I won't be able to be your friend," Clarissa says lightly. 

"Don't worry, I will still buy your whiskey, it is the best I can find. " Mathew says, his face softens as he looks at her. "How have you been since the funeral?"

"I am fine." Clarissa says smartly, "I have mourned, and now I need to continue living."

"That's a rather cynical approach to life." He observes, "He meant a great deal to you." 

"I am a cynic if anything." Clarissa replies, "But I've been out of society for a while and I need to be caught up on the happenings. So what have I missed? "

"Clarissa, the biggest thing you missed was Evelyn and Blackmoore's little adventure but it was all in the paper you know." Mathew shrugs. 

"I was in mourning, not living as a hermit." Clarissa snaps, "I know that happened. I want to know if anyone new has come to town, or if there has been any strange marriages or deaths? Has anyone ran away? The good stuff."

"London is the same as it has always been, the season has started, people are happy to be out, it's all quiet, in fact, the biggest surprise is that new uptight prick that's waltzed into this party uninvited," Mathew says with heat. 

"Who are you on about?" Clarissa asks, intrigued.

"You see that man, the blonde?" Mathew points to the stranger that she had spoken to. He is still standing with Samuel, they are deep in conversation, oblivious to the stir they have caused within the guests. 

"Who is he?" She asks. "He seems to captured everyone's attention." She frowns at a group of girls that stand close to him, they have their fans out, fluttering them, trying to get him to look over. 

"His name is Daniel Cavendish," Mathew says, bitterly.  

"Oh shit," Clarissa swears without thinking. 

 Mathew stares at her, her face has gone as white as a ghost and she looks rather ill. 

"What? Are you alright? Stomach ache? Cramps?" He looks concerned and he reaches out to feel her wrist. "Your heart is beating rather fast." 

"What?" She glances from him to Cavendish, she shakes her head and forces a smile, "I am quite alright, I apologise, my tongue got away from me."

"No one has ever reacted like that to me, what has caused such a strong feeling?" Mathew inquires, looking at Daniel with increasing curiosity, "Do you know him?" 

"My sister was telling me stories she had heard of Daniel Cavendish, scandalous tales they were." Clarissa lies. "Things of nightmares."

"He might be an egotistical bastard, and I am not saying I like him, but he's rather dull when it comes to scandal, are you sure it was him?" Mathew scrutinises the person in question, "He hasn't been around much in the last few years. There are a few Cavendish's. It's a large family. I think he has three brothers and one cousin or something. "

"Oh, there are quite a few of them then? Goodness." Clarissa's mind begins to whirl. "It must have been a different Cavendish then." Her eyes rave over Daniel's clothes, all pressed to perfection, "They are rich, aren't they?" 

"If you played your cards right you could trap one of the second cousins." Mathew says, mistaking her meaning, he flashes her a cheeky grin, "It would be an excellent family to be a part of, well above your current station. People might even forget you are French." 

"I could do better than a second cousin." She scoffs, affronted. "Not that I want to." She adds hastily when she sees his face light up. "I am not looking to marry."

"That is a shame, I know many men that would suit you." Mathew sighs, looking regretful.

"You lie," Clarissa says suspiciously, he laughs and pats her arm,

"I do, I do," He admits, "Not even the bravest and strongest man could handle you as a wife, you are a wild thing Frenchie. A stallion on the planes. Forever alone."

"Baise toi aussi." Clarissa replies with a smirk, he rolls his eyes at her. 

" I have no idea what you just said but I should find Jane, I said I'd dance with her tonight." Although his tone is regretful, his face is buoyant and smiling. 

"You can't stay away from her." She observes, "One word comes to mind; smitten." 

"It was lovely to talk as always," Mathew says, ignoring her comment. He takes her hand and squeezes it. "You must visit soon, and bring some whisky."

She spreads her arms, "But of course, now I am friends with your wife to be, you will never be able to get rid of me." 

"I wouldn't have it any other way." He says. He walks away from her, towards the dance floor, he looks back over his shoulder and she just smiles as he blows her a kiss. She watches him disappear into the crowd, her eyes then snap to the newly named Daniel Cavendish. She quietly examines his body language, hunting for more information. Apart from being overly arrogant and snobby, she reads little from his mannerisms. She is so consumed with her observations that she doesn't realise that Victor has left his table to stand by her side. It is only when he speaks does she register his presence. 

"What?" Clarissa starts, her head whipping to look at him. 

"Who is he?" Victor asks, nodding at Cavendish.  

"Daniel Cavendish." She replies through gritted teeth. "His family are threatening our territory, he's my new problem." 

"I've never heard of him." He says, grimacing. 

"Neither have I, Mathew seems sort of familiar though, and Samuel Barclay certainly is." The pair watch Barclay and Cavendish interact like old brothers. 

"Is he a major threat? Or is he a sheep playing wolf?" Victor questions. 

"It is too soon to tell." Clarissa decides, "But there is more to him than appears, there must be." 

"Like you then." 

She looks at her cousin in surprise but then agrees. 

"I suppose so." She scratches behind her ear, "I spoke to him tonight, before I knew who he was. I don't think he knows who I am which provides us with a slight advantage." 

"Is he even one of the important ones? He looks like lazy poule mouillée!"  Victor says with distaste. "All riches, no backbone." 

"Hmmm." Clarissa considers his words, "I will have to find out." 

"Find out what?" Catherine appears at her elbow, a drink in her hand. 

"Find out who the blonde is," Clarissa says, not missing a beat, she gives Victor a look that warns him to say nothing. 

"Why such an intrigue?" Catherine asks with raised eyebrows. 

"I am curious, does there have to be a reason?" Clarissa fires back. 

"I suppose not." Catherine sighs, she sips her drink, "I spoke to Samuel again, his friend is the Duke of Richmond, his name is Daniel  Cavendish." 

"He's a duke?" Clarissa says, suddenly worried. 

"Yes." Catherine continues, not noticing her sister's as ashy complexion, "And a rich one at that." 

Victor sees Clarissa's unease and takes her arm through his, he holds her comfortingly. She smiles at him gratefully, but her head is spinning and her stomach is threatening to be sick. 

"Can we go?" Catherine proposes, "I am tired and I've had enough of these dull socialites." 

"I think that's a good idea." Victor answers. "Go tell your mother we are leaving and we will meet you outside at the carriage." 

Catherine flounces off in search of Marie and Clarissa allows her cousin to escort her from the cards room. It is lucky he has hold of her as her legs threaten to collapse under her. 

"He's a duke." She whispers to him, "He has more influence than me, more power, more money, more everything." 

"We will be fine, just because he has a title doesn't mean he can beat us." He takes her around the side of the ballroom, they push through the crowd, exit in sight. 

"No that's exactly what it means!" She hisses, "Don't you see, I am too much of a threat to Cuthbert, Lestrade, the others,  because I have money, I have status and I have influence over them. Compared to a duke I have none of this!"  She wills herself not to break down, "Plus I am a woman." She adds bitterly. 

"Titles, money and influence aren't what makes you a good leader. Your mind is, your drive, your dedication, that's what people are scared of." Victor reassures as he takes their coats from the butler stationed by the door. "Now take a deep breath, you are stressing me," 

Clarissa takes a deep breathe of the clear night air as they step out of the house and onto the street. She immediately sits down on the corner of the pavement, her knees weak, not caring about her dirtying her dress. Victor plops down next to her. He throws her coat around her shoulders and then puts an arm around her. 

"It's going to fine, you will destroy this duke if that's what it comes to," 

She leans into him. "I hope it doesn't come to that." She looks up into the night sky, "If it does, Peter might make you the head of The Strand instead." 

Victor's chest vibrates as he laughs, "Peter hates me, he would rather die than bow to me." He looks down at her mess of chocolate curls, "Trust me, you are right where you should be. At the top shouting orders to footsoldiers like me." 

"Well you are a proper French," She teases lightly. He nudges her playfully. 

Catherine emerges from the house looking annoyed, her coat is wrapped tightly around her and she has three glasses of champagne in her hand. 

"What's wrong? What did mother say?" Clarissa asks her, looking up at her. 

"She says we can't leave till 11:30," Catherine replies, "I cannot stomach another moment in there, and I took these." She holds up the glasses.  

Victor checks his pocket watch. He whistles, "You should sit down then Catherine, we have 45 minutes to wait, unless you fancy walking home?" 

Catherine grumbles but decides to sit on the pavement. She passes the glasses down the line, Clarissa puts an arm around her, and the three cousins sit on the cold stone together, waiting.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

198K 4.5K 42
"You will tell me everything I want to know beautiful," He whispered and bit the soft flesh near my neck. "Go fuck yourself," I said in a breathy vo...
111K 7.4K 20
When Helene Lovell finds herself a penniless orphan, she is swept into the world of manners, money, and etiquette, where her cruel Aunt Lady Dorothea...
18.5K 1.2K 11
[ONC 2023 SHORTLISTER] Prompt 63: A rivalry between two coworkers has unforeseen consequences. *** Down on her luck with a string of 12 unfateful hea...
521K 38.1K 46
Penniless and lacking the looks to attract a worthy husband, Jane Burton is forced to trick a man into marriage to save her family from an uncertain...