Aaliyah to the World

By _shatuu_

"Sarauniya!" I said almost loudly but not enough for my friend Bilal to hear, "who is she?" "Aaliyah. She's... More

Important note 2.0
1 | The Dinner Party
2 | Cinderella
3 | Heartbreak Series
4 | Trust Issues
5 | Beauty Behind Madness
6 | Old Friends
7 | The Acceptance
8 | Food For Thought
9 | With love from Somalia
10 | Runaway Mum
11 | Hamliyah
12 | Trip To Yola
13 | Money For Evil
14 | Black Out
15 | The Maize Runner
16 | Mission Impossibe
17 | Escape Plan
18 | Gone Girl
19 | Grand Theft Auto & Slushy Beatdowns
20 | Everything, Everything
21 | Heart Burn
22 | Café Meltdown
23 | Dinner Crashers
24 | Home Alone
25 | Treacherous
26 | Dinner Dash
27 | Now You See Me Too
28| Rambo
29 | Ex And The City
30 | Rehab
31 | The Dinner Party [2]
32 | Samiya Calhoun
33 | Goodbye
34 | Wedding Bells
36 | Tradition
37 | Love Letter Inc.
38 | This Is Nigeria
39 | The One
40 | The Devil Strikes
41 | Royal Rumble
42 | Just Like Me
43 | Ukhty
44 | Nadiya
45 | The Proposal
46 | And So Prince Charming Finally Gets Cinderella
47 | Do We Kiss?
48 | Jailbird
49 | The Break Up
50 | Junaid
51 | Pray For Him
52 | In The Bahamas
53 | Remember To Forget
54 | The World To Aaliyah
55 | Q& A [1]
56 | Q & A [2]
57 | Acknowledgement

35 | The Broke Life

463 130 1
By _shatuu_

Hamza

So...

I'm officially broke, homeless and jobless. Three of the things I detest the most.

Imam let me stay in a room in his two bedroom bungalow since his roommate couldn't pay his rent. I didn't have to pay any amount because he owned the house.

I never knew getting a job was hard till these past few weeks. After Yusra's wedding, I had to leave the house to fend for myself. To think that my father would change his mind during that period.

So far, I've visited three establishments. The first is a television network, the second, a travelling agency and lastly, a petroleum company.

None of the first two accepted my application due to my inability to provide what was required of me based on my level of experience and degree. I mean, who wouldn't want me? I graduated with a first class but they all required graduates of courses which were in no way my field of study. The petroleum company asked me to return a week later since I was able to scale through with my distinguished curriculum vitae.

So my dreams may not come true. But at least I may have a job at the end of the day! Insha Allah.

I woke up really early just so I could take a proper bath and plan for what's to come of today.

Nigerian Initiative For Petroleum Exporting Countries (NIPEC) is an Oil and Gas company that was formed by six African countries. Initially, it belonged to Senegal but has since become a conglomerate with Nigeria, Ghana, Botswana, Egypt and Angola.

Not to sound a bit cocky, but I have a great feeling that I'll be accepted today. The managing director of the company directly called me yesterday evening while I was having dinner with a few friends at Diplo.

I prayed endlessly on several nights to the Almighty so they would accept me because that was my saving grace.

Now that baba has made the pronouncement of my exile from the house I'll try my best to work for a better future for myself since he has made it clear that he won't lay a finger to help my situation.

I quote 'When you go out to fend for yourself you'll feel the pain of loosing ones parents. It's similar to her parents when they realized they'd lost their child. My refusal to help you financially is just to teach you Independence. Come back when you've succeeded in becoming a better man.', something I never thought I'd ever hear from my father.

Now that I seek prosperity in this chaotic world, I have no one. Imam has helped me with accommodation and some money but I can't keep relying on friends. Can I?

There's Bilal! But he has also done a great deal for me. He and his Step-Father helped me by sending my curriculum vitae to all the organizations T&K Housing Limited was affiliated to.

Who else do I have? No one. Yusra's husband is as stingy as one can get and she is in no position to help me as well as my other sisters. My mother, despite her absence is still wrathful as her only son has been kicked out of his family home. She terribly misses me and I feel the same too. At this point, she's the only one who occasionally sends me money whenever someone goes to visit her.

I joined Imam to eat breakfast at Flavours For More today.

Imam! How can I forget what he has done? He offered me a job also as the branch manager of the Wuse 2 branch but I politely rejected it because I knew the current manager and he was a very nice man. If he lost this job, his family's wellbeing will be put in a state of jeopardy!

What do I do now?

I just sit and enjoy the waffles and hot chocolate I ordered as Imam left to discuss some issues with some of his workers.

Immediately I was done eating, I went out, hollered a taxi and left to my destination.

"Drive a bit faster." I commanded, forgetting that I was no longer leading the life of luxury that blessed me with a driver of my own.

"Oga the car get problem! I no go fit drive am like that." The driver screamed, making him sound like a deranged Lagos tout.

It irked me a bit because I wasn't used to people speaking to me in such a callous manner but I knew he meant no harm.

Thirty minutes later, I was at my destination. I got out of the car and shut the door noiselessly. I bent down to pick up my phone case that fell on the sandy floor and the man started shouting.

"Oga where my money? I been dey find money take chop food since morning. No come run with my money!"

I was embarrassed to say the least. Were people this shameless? I wouldn't even think to do this to someone that owed me money. Talk less of such a substantial amount.

"How much is it?"

"#500."

Barawo kawai! He was trying to exploit me.

"Isn't it #300?"

"No! Oga pity me. Fuel money don increase. Na this money I dey use feed my wife and pikin."

Out of pity, I begrudgingly pull out a single five hundred Naira note out of my almost empty wallet.

"Take it."

He collects it without showing an ounce of appreciation and drives away as he answers a phone call in the most disrespectful way I've ever seen.

I mean, who says 'you get my money?' the moment you answer a call?

He's all forgotten once I find my way into the premises of the NIPEC headquarters in Abuja.

I bump into Miss Folake the personal assistant to Mr Uchenna and she directs me to his office.

"Good morning Mr Uchenna."

"Mr Hamza! How are you?!" He beamed.

"I'm good. How is everything?"

"I'm quite fine. I see you're early. It's just 10:00am. I like that. An early bird, Good!"

"That's good to hear. Thank you!"

"So do you know why I called you here?"

"I'm not sure."

He nods in silence, "Well, your application that was sent to us from Alhaji Imran Babagana has been accepted. I'm excited to tell you that you've become one of us! You start work on Monday next week. An email will be sent to you with guidelines on how to go about your work."

"Thank you sir!" I blurted out of excitement.

Wow, sir! The word tastes foreign in my mouth. I used to be the 'sir' to everyone now I'm the one calling another man whom I'm supposed to consider my superior, 'sir'.

I was extremely elated to know that after a fruitless search that lasted half a month, I got a job. When you hear sabr is virtue, you'll know that patience and prayer is truly your only way out.

I almost gave up because the first two applications sent under my name were rejected. But, they say, the third time is always a charm! I just hope that with time I'll grow in the company to the point I can show my father that I've succeeded.

"Goodbye!" He smiles and I exit his office as a bubble of excitement causes butterflies to erupt in my stomach.

Once I'm outside the gates, I hail a cab. This driver was nicer than the first. He is Ebira. You can tell from the large and wide tribal marks that were etched onto his dark spotted face.

He looks like he bleaches.

He offered me a small leather bag with groundnuts as I sat down but I refused politely as I answered my favourite sister's call, Fadila on the phone.

"Yaya I'm missing you! Can't you beg baba to let you come back?"

"You know he doesn't go back on his words. I'll just have to stay like this till I've made it. I miss you too."

"How is Jabir?"

I could tell from the silence that she was blushing profusely. Jabir is her friends cousin whom she fell in love with during her Ss2 summer lesson. He came to pick Firdausi, her best friend up and then met Fadila with her.

Isn't that cute? Another beautiful couple with a two years relationship. I just hope it'll last to the point of nikah.

Look at me! I couldn't even keep one girl. Where's my Aaliyah?!

"He's fine!" She says too quickly, "So how was your meeting with the man today?"

"I got accepted!"

"Yayyy! That means you can come home."

"Baba said I have to make enough money to buy my own car and house before coming back. I'm just starting so I can't go back to him now. Just be patient Deedee."

"Alright no problem. But will you still be taking me out with my friends?"

"Yes! How can I leave my dear sister? Just let me get a car first."

"Ok then. Greet my future sister in-law." She teased.

"Which sister in-law?" I tried to feign ignorance.

"Aaliyah. You think I don't know?!" She laughed so hard she choked on whatever drink she was nursing at the moment.

"Are you ok?"

"Yes. I'm fine." I thought she forgot, but no, "Yes, Aaliyah. I know so much more than you think. I knew everything that was going on from the start. I just never snitched on you guys. I wanted to advice Zahra and Yusra to stop but I knew Yusra would just shout and ignore me while Zahra will shut me out. You know how she can be. We're very close but she tends to bottle up her feelings whenever she thinks she can fix it all by herself."

"Shit! Mehn I love you. But how come you're so clean?"

"Who says I'm clean?"

"What do you mean?"

"Jabir. I haven't done anything bad but I'm dating and that's bad enough for our parents. I'm praying that after uni he'll come to ask for my hand in marriage."

"I pray so too. I have to get to the house now because I want to visit Bilal."

"Goodbye Ya Hamza! I love you."

"I love you too."

We hang up at the same time and I put my phone inside my front pocket.

"Oga where you dey go?"

"Area 1."

"Ok sir."

I guess today was going to end well after all.
__________________________

This is the translation for those who aren't familiar with pidgin English.

I no go fit drive am like that-I can't drive it like that.

Oga where my money-Sir where is my money?

I been dey find money take chop food since morning-I have been trying to find money to eat since morning.

No come run with my money-Don't run with my money.

Oga pity me-Sir pity me.

Fuel money don increase-The price of fuel has increased.

Na this money I dey use feed my wife and pikin-It's this money I use to feed my wife and child.

Where you dey go-Where are you going to?

Barawo kawai-Just a thief (Hausa).

I hope you enjoyed it!

~Aisha Safiyanu🥀

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.6K 79 8
"I don't care. I don't care if you wear a scarf over your head. Or if you prefer to wear long sleeves and pray five times a day", he inches closer. "...
24K 3.5K 41
~~~~(Mature)~~~~ "We're worlds apart..." "But I'm right here." "I'm far, farrrrrrrrrr far beneath your class..." "And so? I don't care." He shrugged...
21.3K 4.5K 64
[COMPLETED] This is the story of a young lady who found herself being the only child of her parents which seems normal at first, but it comprised of...
22.7K 4K 83
"What's happening?, why are they taking you away? Say something already!! Please say something" I broke down in hot tears as I dragged him trying to...