HELIOS

By socom622

Political upheaval and starvation force the U.E.A. to look to space for the survival of Earths' inhabitants... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapte 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68

Chapter 65

34 5 0
By socom622

We slip out into normal space near Green Seven where we meet up with supply ship, that in reality is a floating repair dock. We link up to it by way of docking arms that lock on to the Helios. A docking bridge attaches to us, and I can hear the lead engineer already.  "Sir, we have a successful soft seal."

Jahní is going planet side to see our son, I'll probably do later on once the repairs get under way. I also have to note the names of the three crew members, that were killed in the battle. I stand up from the Captain's chair leaving Lieutenant Gutierrez in command, so I can head to my quarters.

I sit at my desk in my quarters and open the files in my computer looking at the names of the crew members that died, and I can remember speaking to them when I was trying to get to know my crew.

Now I put their names down in the ships log and mark their files, as KIA for the official record. This time when we get back I won't have a clear of casualties report, and rub my chin thinking of how much more I can ask of this crew. So far they've voluntarily put their lives on the line at my request, but now my heart aches when one of them dies.

I step out of my quarters and Sam is walking in my direction. "Sir." I nod to him. "Maybe you should head down to the surface and join your wife and child."

"Should I?" I wonder how many of the young lives lost would've wanted families.

"Yes Sir, I think you need it." I look down the passage, as a young crewmen walks past us. "Sir, you have a heavy burden on your shoulders, and you need to go and relax. The Helios is down for repairs for the next three or four days. Also the chief engineer is upset, so I'll deal with him as will Tom. You go Sir."

I accept his offer to go see my family on Green Seven, however the burden will always be there no matter what I do. "I'll see you in three days Sam."
I board the shuttle and head to Jahní and Denzaha, to refresh my mind. Soon enough we will know if our plan worked and hopefully it will reveal any accomplices, as well as the actual traitor.

**************************************

Once on the surface I'm greeted by Jahní who has Denzaha in her arms, and his eyes are open. Thank you God for this gift, that hope to be around long enough to watch him grow. I touch Jahní's face and she closes her eyes pressing her face in my hand. I pull her to me kissing her, which causes a bit of chatter among her family members.  "I love you."  She kisses me again not paying attention to her nosy family.

She looks at me smiling.  "I love you as well."  I take Denzaha in my arms and we walk into her Grandfather's home hand in hand.

Once in the house a couple of her aunts come up and greet me warmly, as does her large cousin.  "Welcome back."  I take his outstretched hand. Her Grandfather is right behind him, but embraces me instead as he would family.

"Come." He waves us to follow him. "How are things going with you Captain?"

I smile at him. "I'm doing well thank you." Can't tell him anything about what exactly we're doing out there.

He glances at me and Jahní, as we walk to the family room. Once there he closes the doors; I look around and the one aunt with the duster is there, except this time she's waring a green uniform. I look at her and then the Grandfather wondering what is going on, but Jahní seems calm about this whole thing.

"Why are you doing this Grandfather?"

He looks at Jahní and then me. "We are quite intrigued over the activity that you have brought here." I study him for a bit not to sure what exactly he knows. "This is a quiet place; a world that is far from much of the intrigue of the Capital."

I nod, since I don't want to give away anything of what we're doing. "I'm sure this has been the most exciting situation for you guys, but believe me we are not trying to interrupt your daily routines."

He smiles dubiously at me, not sure if I'm telling the truth or not. "I'm sure that if you could say something you would tell me." He motions for us to sit down and relax for a bit. "I will bring some food for you perhaps you can share what you can, maybe you can trust me a little more."

"Grandfather." Jahní cutting into our conversation. "It is best that you don't know what is happening, for your own safety and that of the family."

Her grandfathers eyes open wide at her comment. "So, it is a dangerous situation that you have put yourself in and now you're involving us."

"Now hold on just one minute sir; this is not accurate, we have not put this family in any form of danger which is why our child is here." I can't believe he would say such a thing to us, that we would put them in any danger; He knows how much Jahní cares for her family.

"Oh is that so?" What does he mean by that question, is he trying to say that we have no feelings or care little for this family. "It seems to me that you have put your pride before us, and soon they are going to figure out where you are coming for assistance!"

I look at Jahní realizing for the first time that he might have a point. What if our enemies figure out that we are coming to Green Seven, to have all our repairs done. "We will take all the necessary steps to protect you, this family and our child. They will not figure out where we are or where we're getting our repairs done."

Jahní put her hand on my shoulder and squeezes.
"Perhaps it is time to rethink where we go to have our ships serviced and repaired because we may be putting our family in danger, inadvertently letting our enemies know things they should not."

I think that over for a bit rubbing my chin thinking about the possibilities of our enemies discovering the Safehaven. And it's true they may find a way to locate our place of rest and recovery. "All right, we're gonna have to consider that carefully because there is a ring of truth behind it that I can't ignore."

"Very well we will find another place." I turn to Jahní realizing that we have to change our strategies now since we no longer have a safe haven.

"You know there is the old abandoned battle station at Gorahat Two." We all turn and see Jahní's aunt who has been sitting here the whole time listening to us. "It is the safest place for you to maintain your operations."

I look at her wondering how much she has picked up by our conversation; knowing full well the sensitive nature of what we're doing. "How do you know this place is safe?"

"Well it's better than being here!"

I suppress a frown that was beginning to form on my forehead. "We're gonna have to see and look into this, in order to know that it meets our tactical requirements."

Jahní fold her arms across her chest, looking at her aunt seriously. I don't think it's because she doesn't trust her aunt, but the less people know of our doings the safer it will be for everyone. "You have no business in this conversation it is better if you stay out of it."

A frown forms on her aunts face and her eyes narrow. " I don't need your permission in order to protect this family, however you." She points a finger in my direction. "You have no right to put this family in any kind of danger. Particularly against a powerful enemy; I will oppose you at every turn if you don't change your plans!"

Now it's my turn to frown. "You have no say in this; this is not your concern, so please take care of your own business and leave military matters to us!"

"So this is now a military matter! What do you know of war! Our people have seen much war in its history, and your people just came out of the cave a few years ago!"

I take a deep breath knowing that this is Jahní's family and I don't want to be too insulting, but I can't let this one slide, there's no way. "I am well aware of how long your people have been fighting wars, but my people are not novices at war fighting!"
She looks about ready to explode. "However, this does not make you better than us if anything it makes us the same, only you are more technically advanced."

"That is enough!" Jahní is very forceful with us, which makes me turn wide-eyed in her direction.
"We are not enemies and we will not treat each other as such. We will find a new haven for us to use in order to repair our ships, but we will come here periodically; specifically to visit our son."

Her aunt sits back and calms down and I fold my arms across my chest and remain quiet as well; Jahní is correct we cannot view each other as enemies.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 113 33
J'son, a 19 year old corporal in earth's military, is taking a nap on the army base where he lives in the year 2406. He is awakened by a large explo...
60 11 6
In the midst of a desperate interstellar war, a covert op is launched to steal technology - not from the enemy, but from an ally. The crew of the SDU...
160 5 7
The earth is gone and what's left of humanity has been cast into the void. While many huddle together in a flotilla of ancient ships a few resourcefu...
109 29 50
Embark on a thrilling odyssey across the cosmos with Captain Elena Ramirez and her intrepid crew aboard the interstellar vessel Stellar Voyager. In a...