Out of His League: Book Two (...

Por jsteph0214

"It's always been you, Phoenix. You are the one who makes me the happiest. Just being in the same room as you... Mais

Character Introduction
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-Six

6.3K 263 54
Por jsteph0214

Scarlett

I was sitting up in my hospital bed, listening to Beavis and Butthead bicker back and forth. 

"Oh, come on, we aren't watching that," Jackson snatched the TV remote out of Luke's hand.

Luke furrowed his brows. "Home Makeover is a good show!"

"Dude, who wants to watch a couple pick paint colors and furniture for their new house?"

"That isn't all they do," Luke crossed his arms, laying back in one of the uncomfortable hospital chairs.

A quiet giggle escaped my lips. "You guys are ridiculous."

Jackson looked back at me. "Do you like that shit too? I mean, wouldn't you rather watch," He began to flip through the channels, stopping abruptly on a kid's channel. "Paw Patrol! Hell, I would much rather watch a group of dogs saving the day than a couple of people deciding on whether to go with hardwood floors or fluffy carpet."

Luke rolled his eyes. "You're an idiot."

"Oh yeah?" Jack raised the remote in the air.

"Yep."

As soon as that one word left his mouth, Jackson chucked the remote at him, but Luke dodged it, and it hit the ground, sliding towards the door.

"What the hell?" Phoenix walked out of the bathroom in my room, picking up the remote. "I left you two with Scar for all of two minutes, and you're already destroying shit," His voice was deep and laced in agitation as he glared at the two of them.

Luke put up his hands in defense. "Jackson started it."

Jackson mimicked him.

Nix shook his head. "Would you guys shut up? You're driving me crazy," He walked back over and threw the remote against Luke's chest.

"Ow, hey," He groaned but quickly stopped when he saw Phoenix's deadly stare. "I meant, thank you."

I let out a loud laugh, but it was short-lived when my head began to throb. "Shit," I held my head with both hands, closing my eyes.

Phoenix rushed over to my side. "Are you okay? Let me call the nurse."

"No," I yelled out, trying to stop him as the pain faded. "I'm fine. I just laughed too hard."

As I opened my eyes again, all three of the boys, my protectors, were staring at me with worried faces. "Guys, I'm okay."

"Are you sure? We can go get a nurse to check on you?" Luke offered.

I slowly shook my head once. "No, no, I'll be fine."

"Do you need to up your pain medication? How is your pain level, baby?" Nix's forehead creased.

My head tilted to the side, forming a soft smile on my lips. "It's nothing I can't handle. Now, would you stop worrying?" I glanced at Jackson and Luke. "All of you."

"Scar, your brain is fucking bleeding. You can't tell us not to worry when you're in the damn hospital," Nix said in a serious tone as my face fell.

"I know, trust me," My eyes looked down to the floor, hiding away the fear I felt since I woke up in the hospital.

He sighed. "I'm sorry," His voice was laced in guilt.

"Ahem," Jackson stood up awkwardly along with Luke. "We are going to go check out the cafeteria and give you guys some space."

"You guys don't have to leave," I spoke up quietly.

"It's okay," Luke smiled kindly. "We'll be back to watch shitty house makeover shows with you later."

Jackson scoffed. "I guess only Luke will be back if that's the case."

I gave them a small smile before they left the room, leaving Phoenix and me alone.

"Scarlett," My name softly rolled off his tongue, making it hard to look away from him. "I didn't mean to upset you," His hand landed on my leg. "I'm... I'm scared. After last night I can't handle the thought of something else happening to you. Not under my watch again. God, I feel like I failed you."

My eyes met his, seeing the pain he had in them. "Baby," My brows knitted together. "You didn't fail me. Don't say stuff like that. This was out of your control. I only did what felt right, just as you would do the same for me. You are my biggest protector and the one I feel the safest with. Stop blaming yourself," I grabbed ahold of his hand, squeezing it hard as his eyes filled with tears. "And I'm scared more than anything too, but you're the only thing that's keeping me sane."

Pheonix nodded, taking in a deep breath.

"So, please try and keep me sane when it's nearly impossible. Don't go becoming a worried and overprotective mom because I already have one of those. Just be here with me. That's all I need," My voice was shaky as he took my hand and placed a sweet kiss on the back of it.

"I'm not going anywhere, Shortcake. We will get through this together. Whatever life wants to throw at us, I will knock it down and out of our way. I promise," He leaned down, kissing me softly before placing his forehead against mine. "No matter the storm, it will pass, and we will still be standing strong."

I closed my eyes as I took in his homely smell that I always take comfort in. "You'll be my lighthouse, and I'll be yours," I whispered.

"To the ends of time, baby."

"Hello, we're back, and you two better have your clothes on," Ryder came barging into the room with my mom and dad.

My mom's mouth fell. "Ryder Dean, don't be crude!"

Nix's cheeks were bright red as I rolled my eyes. "I think you have us mistaken for you and Lily."

He laughed while my mom set a large tote bag on the end of the bed.

My dad stood on my other side of me. "How are you feeling, princess?"

"The same, my head hurts a little, but I'm doing alright. What might help is getting out of this damn bed, though," I grumbled.

"You need your rest, Scarlett. The doctor says you have to stay put and not to do any strenuous activity." He reminded me.

"Yeah, well, with Nix around, all I have been allowed to do is grab my cup of water."

My mom smiled. "Then he is doing a good job of taking care of you.'

"Did you hear that?" Nix lifted his head proudly.

"My boyfriend, the hot nurse," I teased.

Ryder let out a loud laugh. "I can always go get you a cute little nurse's outfit if you wanted, Nix?"

Phoenix glared at him, unamused.

My dad chuckled. "Ryder, stop talking before I request for them to sedate you."

The sounds of their laughs echoed my room, making my heart fill with warmth.

"So, I think I brought you everything you might need for the week," My mom spoke up, unzipping the bag.

Dad raised a brow. "Everything and way more, actually."

I gently smiled before my mom began to pull things out. "Your pillow, your toothbrush, hair ties, hairbrush, phone charger, your favorite blanket from the living room you always curl up in..." She kept explaining every item, even announcing the panties that she held in her hand to my embarrassment.

"Mom, you don't have to tell us every little item you brought," I awkwardly smiled as Ryder looked grossed out, and Nix's face was plastered with a giant grin.

"Yeah, Angel, some things are better left in the bag," Dad said, shaking his head.

"Oh!" She exclaimed. "I almost forgot Wo-Wo," My mom pulled out my tattered old childhood stuffed animal dog that I still kept on my bed to this day. I know I'm not a kid anymore, but it brings me comfort.

"Mom, why did you bring me a stuffed animal? Ha, I don't need him," I chuckled a couple of times, glancing over at Phoenix, who was trying to hide a smile.

My mom put a hand on her hip. "Scarlett, you sleep with him every night. What are you talking about?"

"What? I do not..."

Nix suddenly chimed in. "Scar, I know about Wo-Wo. You carried him around everywhere when you were little, and I also saw him shoved under your bed not that long ago."

Ryder snorted. "Yeah, we all know how weird you really are already."

I shot a glare at my brother before Nix shook his head, smiling. "It's not weird. It's sweet," He reassured me as I felt the embarrassment start to wash away.

My dad nodded. "Nothing is wrong with a comfort item. Ryder had a plastic baseball cup that glowed in the dark on his nightstand every single night, and wouldn't sleep unless he had it there. It's still sitting in his room today, but now it's on his dresser."

"Hey," Ryder said defensively as I chuckled softly.

"Here, sweetheart," My mom handed him to me as I snuggled him in my arm.

Just then, I felt dizzy, and a sharp pain shot around my head. "Ugh, god, it hurts."

My dad placed his hand on my arm. "Scar, what is it? What's going on?"

Mom, Ryder, and Nix started to speak up at the same time with words of concern, which didn't help the ache that I was feeling.

"I'm getting the nurse," Nix spoke up urgently.

By the time it subsided, Nurse Darla had made her way into my room. "How are you doing, Scarlett?" She asked with a soothing voice.

I took in a deep breath, letting it out. "Just some shooting pain in my head, and I felt really lightheaded."

She nodded. "Okay, that's all normal for a head injury, so it may not be anything to worry about, but the good news is that you are scheduled for your next CT scan soon. We will be able to see if anything has changed with your injury, but more than likely, your head is just trying to recover from the major trauma it went through," The nurse smiled reassuringly.

Nix chimed in with furrowed brows. "Does she have to go to the scan alone?"

"I'm afraid so, but I will be near her side the whole time to make sure she is as comfortable as can be."

A small smile appeared on my lips. "Thank you," I spoke in a quiet voice as Phoenix held my hand.

"Can we wait here while she is gone?" Dad wondered.

"Of course," Nurse Darla said. "But if anyone sees that you have more than three visitors here, they may have my head. There are a few strict sticklers on this floor."

My mom chuckled softly. "We will make sure not to get you in trouble. You have been more than a huge help to us."

"I appreciate it, Mrs. Wolf. It isn't so hard when you have such a sweet patient, though," She winked at me.

"Nix, we should go grab lunch for everyone," Ryder suggested.

The nurse chimed in. "Scarlett won't be allowed to have anything outside of iced water chips at the moment, but you all are more than welcome to bring what you'd like back here."

"But a burger sounds so good right now," I whined.

Nix smiled, shaking his head. "Once you have the green light, I will get you all the burgers you want."

I pouted. "Fine."

"So, are we going then?" Ryder waited for an answer.

Nix looked at him then back at me, apprehensively. "I don't know."

"Babe, I will be fine. I have my parents, and I will be busy with that scan anyway," I spoke encouragingly.

I gave him a smile as he nodded. "Alright, yeah, let's go."

"Text everyone and ask if they want something," My dad told them. "The whole gang should be back here to visit later."

"Are Lily and Mia coming?" I asked.

"Yes, they should be here within the next hour," Mom said.

Nurse Darla spoke up. "I will be back shortly with another nurse to take you over when it's time."

"Okay, thank you."

She walked out as Nix stood up, gently placing his hand on my cheek. "I will be back soon."

"I know, Nixie," My eyes locked on his.

"Love you," He said before pecking me on the lips.

 "Love you too."

Once they left, my parents helped try and make my room feel as cozy as it could be for me. I lucked out with a mom and dad like them in life. Despite what happened to me, I am blessed beyond belief with the family I have. The ones that have stuck by me since the day I was born.

~~

I was being wheeled down a long hallway for my CT scan, holding onto Wo-Wo since I had no one with me.

"That boy sure is a keeper," Nurse Darla glanced down at me.

"Who? Pheonix?" I asked with a smile.

She nodded. "Yes, you can see the love you share a mile away. That's not something everyone gets to have in their lifetime."

"Did you?"

The corners of her lips curved up. "I did, and he was my very best friend," Once she said the word "was," I felt a knot in my stomach. "But now he's watching over me from above instead of beside me."

My face fell. "I'm so sorry."

"Oh, no need to feel sorry, child. I had the best years of my life with that man, and I wouldn't change a thing. That's why when you find that fierce love, you need to grasp it and never release it. Life is way too precious to let something like that go."

My heart melted as I pictured Phoenix. "I'm holding on to it with all that I have."

"Good," She spoke softly with a sweet smile formed on her lips.

Before I knew it, we were there. They laid me down on this bed, pushing me back until my head was surrounded by a circular tube. The nerves in me began to rise as I felt extremely uncomfortable.

"Okay, Scarlett," Nurse Darla spoke up, giving my hand a gentle squeeze. "I will be just behind that glass window, but you can talk to us if you need to, and we can hear you. This won't hurt at all, so try to stay calm. Stay still, and it will be over before you know it."

"Alright," I replied in uncertainty.

She walked away and behind where a man and the other nurse stood by a desk with different controls.

The machine started up loudly, startling me. After a few minutes, I got used to it and tried to focus on anything other than where I was.

"You're doing great, Scarlett," The nurse spoke over a speaker.

I took in a few deep breaths when I suddenly felt absolutely freezing. "Can we turn up the heat?"

"We can get you a blanket if you need one?" Nurse Darla said.

"Yes, please," I shivered as my heart pounded against my chest, and a wave of nausea rushed through me. "Are you getting the blanket?" My words we muffled between shivers.

"We are. Hold on, sweetheart, take a deep breath."

Suddenly I felt strange, and my head became fuzzy. "I...I... don't..."

"Scarlett, is everything okay?" Someone shouted through the speaker before my eyes went completely dark, and my body began to convulse. "Oh god, she's having a seizure! Code blue!"

~~

Phoenix

Ryder and I just got back to the hospital with food for everyone that was here. As we were headed down the hall towards the cafeteria where they were waiting, my dad, Jackson, Luke, Mia, and Lily were at the end, running in our direction with utterly devastating expressions on their faces.

"What happened?" Ryder yelled, furrowing his brows.

Jackson shook his head, looking as though he didn't know what to say.

"What is it? Where is Scar?" I asked in a loud panic, feeling like something horrible happened.

Ryder caught Lily in his arms. "Tell me, what's wrong? Someone fucking tell me now!"

"Your parents just told us Scar had a seizure. She's in surgery right now," Lily cried out.

The bag of food in my hand fell to the ground, instantly feeling like someone just punched me in the gut. I turned to Ryder, seeing his eyes become wild and full of fear before we both began to run back towards where Scarlett's room was.

"Phoenix, Ryder, wait!" I heard my dad shout from behind us, but I didn't look back. We both kept running forward until we busted through the doors of her room.

Ryder looked around, breathing heavily. "What happened?" Our eyes fell to his sobbing parents that sat on the bed.

Aunt Sawyer couldn't even speak as Wolfie's head raised. "The blood clot got bigger...the doctor said it started to create pressure against her brain, making her have a seizure."

My body froze in place. "But she'll be alright, won't she?" I asked, fearing the answer.

Aunt Sawyer's swollen eyes looked back. "We don't know," Her voice was trembling. "She's having brain surgery...our baby."

"Oh god," Ryder fell to his knees beside his parents.

"Excuse me?" I slowly turned around to see a nurse standing in the doorway. "This wasn't allowed in the operating room, so I thought maybe you might like to hold on to it for her," The woman held out Scar's stuffed dog as Aunt Sawyer let out another loud cry.

I grabbed the stuffed animal from her without a single word. At this moment, I almost forgot how to even talk. My body felt numb, and my heart shattered.

The nurse gently spoke up again. "I know how difficult this is for you all, and I will be sure to come to give updates as often as I get them," All four of us stared at her, feeling a sickening worry inside.

I finally found a few words. "Do I need to leave?" She looked at me, confused. "There are only three visitors allowed.

Her face softened, giving me a sympathetic smile. "No, hun, you can stay. I will make sure that is known."

All I could do was nod once before she slipped out the door.

I fell back into one of the chairs, holding onto Scar's old ass stuffed dog. It made me feel like I had a part of her with me. Who knew this thing really could bring some sort of peace in a time that I felt there would be none? My body sunk into the seat as we waited and waited for Scarlett to be done with surgery, and we prayed every time the nurse walked in the door that it she wasn't bringing bad news.

We ended up going back to everyone in the waiting room for a while, taking comfort in each other. It honestly felt like we were reliving yesterday all over again, but no. It's a different day with the same kind of hell.

After a while I went back to the room with Scar's family as we sat around some more in complete silence, but our thoughts and fears were loud.

"Mr. and Mrs. Wolf," Dr. Mather's entered with Nurse Darla. Ryder and I stared intensely at him as Aunt Sawyer and Wolfie tightly held onto each other. "The surgery went as well as could be expected for an emergency operation. We were able to drain all of the blood that was putting pressure on her brain without any complications. She is in recovery now."

Aunt Sawyer let out a sigh of relief before crying tears of joy. "Oh, thank god," Wolfie and her hugged as I did the same with Ryder.

"It will be a hard recovery with some major hurdles, but she is one tough cookie. I think she may just bounce right back before you know it," He gently smiled.

The nurse chimed in. "She was moved to a room in the critical care unit, so if you all would like to gather her things, we can head over there now."

"Thank you," Wolfie said, wiping a tear from his cheek.

When we got to the new room, the walls were all made of glass and see-through with doors that slid open when you stood by them. Scarlett had twice as many chords connected to her this time, and the entire top of her head was wrapped in white bandages.

I stayed with Scar the longest out of everyone, watching over her to make sure she was alright and waiting for her to wake once again. There was no way I would leave because not being there when she opened her eyes would kill me inside. I had to be there. I need to always be there for her.

Aunt Sawyer, Wolfie, and Ryder sat around on one side of the room as I stood close by her bed, placing Wo-Wo under one of her arms.

"Mmgh," A moan came out of Scar before she squinted her eyes, looking groggy and out of it.

I felt my heart race and relief flood through me. "Hey, Shortcake, we really have to stop meeting like this."

The slightest smile appeared on her chapped lips as she slowly looked up at me with with heavy eyes. "Hi."

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

7.6K 92 14
In this enthralling romance, love and intimacy collide powerfully between two individuals who couldn't be more different. Like two sides of a coin, t...
1.1M 30.8K 49
Book #1 of "His & Hers" book trilogy Warning: Mature (18+) Content! #6 in Mafia 2022 #1 in Italianamerican 2022 #4 in Slowburn 2022 #1 in Hook-ups 20...
3.2M 80K 59
She looks up at me, taking a step forward and smiling slightly, "How can I ever get hurt when I have you here to protect me?" "But you could have got...
64.2K 2K 26
~Completed~ "Why are you being so shy?" He whispered. "I've seen, kissed, tasted every inch of your body. There is nothing to hide." I averted my e...