Komoreby

By SuVida777

𝗪𝗔𝗧𝗧𝗬𝗦 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟮 𝗦𝗛𝗢𝗥𝗧𝗟𝗜𝗦𝗧 · EDITOR'S PICKS · AMBYS 2022 WINNER · A quirky Asian high school st... More

A Note from the Author of this Wacky Story
Accolades
The Art of Komoreby
Prologue
1 | A Leaf in a Whirlwind
2 | A Cinderella Moment
3 | A Ship in a Bottle
4 | A Tipping Pan
5 | A Black Unicorn
7 | An Elf with a Bow
8 | A Rabbit Hole
9 | A Fleeting Moment
10 | An Alien Within
11 | A Dark Night
12 | A Fan Girl
13 | A New Doorway
14 | A Spaghettification Effect
15 | A Game of Chess
16 | A Puzzling Oddity
17 | A Raven Feather
18 | A Vibrating String
19 | A Locked Heart
20 | A Rock Star
21 | A Woman of Ambition
22 | A Glitching Simulation
23 | A Leap of Faith
24 | An Inner Sanctum
25 | A Winding Road
Epilogue
A Forest Nymph
Acknowledgements
Glossary I · 1-11
Glossary II · 12-25
The Science of Komoreby

6 | A Ray of Light

753 109 1K
By SuVida777

A line of prefects barred the way to the Hive. Evanna stopped in her tracks and stared.

The central road cleaved the greenery, orbited the hexagonal fountain and led right up to the terraced steps where their morose forms stood. Students queued up, opening their bags for inspection. Holy cowsies, what the freaking hell.

Evanna joined the queue that led up to a small prefect, who looked less sullen than the others.

When she held out her open backpack, the prefect peered in and checked the contents in a bored, perfunctory manner.

"Your hands," the prefect said tonelessly.

"What?"

"Hold out your hands."

Evanna complied, feeling ridiculous.

The prefect pulled out scissors from her pocket and handed it to her. "Trim your nails."

An impatient noise emanated from the person behind her. She took the scissors and snipped away the thin sliver of white on her nails.

When she extended her hands again for inspection, the prefect nodded once, retrieved the scissors and went back to her tedious task.

Evanna trudged up to her homeroom, mulling over what just transpired. An air of impending danger hovered in the air. The rules weren't just for show. The school obviously demanded compliance, and the prefects were the enforcers. She gulped.

Marilda materialized at her locker, fascination written over her face. "So you just walked right up to them and said hi? You certainly have nerve—when you're new too."

"What? Oh." Her brain pulled up the embarrassing encounter with Junho and Max the day before. "I didn't realize who they were! Maybe I mistook Junho for someone else. I mean, I did mistake him for this guy I know, and I was super surprised to run into him here. And it was only after I talked to them that I realized it wasn't him..."

"Okay..." Marilda said, though it was hard to tell if she bought it or not.

"How did you find out about this again?"

"Oh, I know what goes on around here."

Evanna squirmed. So the news has spread? Thank heavens no one saw what happened in the music room with the other two members of Obsidian. Why do you always make a mess of things, Ev?

"Why are they not in this class?" Evanna asked in an attempt to divert the conversation. "They're in our house, right?"

"They're in the other homeroom," she replied matter-of-factly. "There are eight A Level homerooms—two for each house."

"Right."

After Inoue finished taking attendance, Marilda drifted off to literature class. Anukie, who also wandered out, had stopped trying to talk to Evanna, though she threw occasional glances at her.

Physics dragged on for two periods while Evanna kept checking the time. Her mind toyed with the idea of faking an illness to skip school in order to devote her energies to finding Ed Morken. With the dawn of the new day, she had mustered up fierce determination to figure out what happened.

Her new timetable revealed that next up was double-period Literature—to be held in a classroom at the white end of the corridor. The abode of the Gryphons.

When she entered the room, she was struck by the blinding brightness. Whites and off-whites hailed her wherever she looked, amplifying the natural light pouring in from the large lattice windows. Paintings of bronze gryphons popped out from the walls bleached of color.

She settled down on the farthest window seat, just in front of the rows occupied by boys. Several people from her physics class were present. More arrived as she watched, including Sara and Oleanda.

The teacher herself soon walked in at a leisurely pace. She was a plump woman in a formal dress. She had a pretty face that gave off a calm aura—further emphasized by the pallor of her skin that almost blended in with her outfit. She reminded Evanna of a colorless cake with neat, delicate frosting.

A dozen seats remained empty, including that next to Evanna. The door opened, and the last four students sauntered in.

Her eyes widened. Obsidian.

They evoked a quiet stir as conversations halted and heads turned. Evanna tore away her gaze and began doodling on her notebook.

A jolt shot down her spine when all four of them passed by, and two sank onto chairs just behind her. She sucked in a breath, but didn't dare look.

When the teacher started calling out names to check attendance, Evanna realized that seated behind her were Junho and Max. She strained her ears curiously as they started a whispered conversation about a video game, which sounded like a MOBA.

The teacher finally addressed them, "Good morning, everyone."

Some people uttered a polite greeting, while others continued talking. Unperturbed, the teacher rapped on the desk with a book until she got everyone's attention.

"Welcome to my class. For those of you who do not know me—I'm Mrs. Nelum Abare," she said pleasantly. "Since you are not taking this as a core subject, we will only be covering a part of the syllabus. You are required to submit essays and participate in class activities to pass this course—that will be all. No need to go for after-school classes or feel pressured."

Evanna frowned. After-school classes?

"I hope you would, however, take the opportunity to enjoy this class and participate in meaningful discussion as we study each of these great works." She tapped on a few books on the table. "A selection of poems, two short stories, one play...and the novel you will be learning is A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. Today, we will go through a poem. I believe most of you have your poetry book by now? If not, share with a friend."

Paper rustled as everyone opened their books. Evanna's frown etched deeper. Do I possess a poetry book? I must have one—Alter-Ev had signed up for Literature. It's probably sitting in my room right now.

Her eyes trailed over those seated ahead of her—Sara Diasele and her friend. Evanna crossed her arms and glowered at Sara's back. She was in the process of turning when it occurred to her that she couldn't ask anyone at the back for any extra copies either.

Before she could look away, however, she caught Max's eye. Recognition dawned on him, and his lips quirked up at the corners. Evanna hurriedly pointed her stare at her doodles. "The crazy girl from yesterday" he's thinking, most likely!

Max whispered, "We have an extra copy if you want one."

She closed her eyes and sighed. Just take it and be done with it, Ev. Don't draw attention to yourself. Make it fast.

Evanna composed herself and turned back with a polite smile. "Yes, please."

Both boys surveyed her for a moment. The other two members of Obsidian, who were seated behind them, fixed their attention on her as well. It was as if someone lit a fire in her cheeks. Hand it over already!

As if he read her thoughts, Junho held out the book with a suppressed grin. She grabbed it lightning-fast, mouthed "thank you" and turned away.

The poem turned out to be I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud by William Wordsworth. Mrs. Abare started reciting the first two stanzas in her quiet voice.

Evanna was drawn to it. There was something she found soothing about it—with a touch of melancholy that she could relate to.

When the bell rang to denote the last period before lunch break, Mrs. Abare asked them to write down their thoughts on the fourth stanza and ambled out.

The atmosphere eased, and a buzz of conversation erupted. Lost in thought, Evanna stared at a painting, where a patch of sunlight set ablaze the bronze brushstrokes.

"Hey, you're Evie, right?"

She raised her head. Sara and her friend were watching her.

"Yeah," Evanna replied, her tone cautious.

"We just wanted to say hi." Sara's friend flashed a dainty smile before sneaking a glance at the boys sitting behind Evanna.

"Wondered if you wanted to sit with us for lunch," Sara said graciously.

Evanna gritted her teeth as anger bubbled up. Oh, it's history repeating itself? Did Ookie put you up to this? Well, bring it on—let's see who's going to end up spluttering in a swimming pool this time.

"Like, you probably don't realize this," Sara said, lowering her voice, "but you do not want to be seen hanging out with Marilda. She's a bit strange, you know."

Her friend giggled.

"Oh, yeah?" Evanna fought off the scowl that threatened to consume her face. "How about you mind your own business?"

The two girls goggled at her as if she had slapped them. Voices overlapped with the tapping of pens and formed a sonic wave that rolled over her.

Sara recovered enough to shrug. Then she turned away with a "suit yourself."

Evanna rolled her eyes and went back to work, her right hand propping up her head as she scribbled on her notebook.

Mrs. Abare returned and asked people at random to share their thoughts on the poem. After she finished with two, her eyes hovered dangerously close to Evanna, who squirmed in her seat.

"How about someone from this side?" The teacher nodded in her direction. "You—sitting behind the red-haired girl. Kim Junho, yes?"

Evanna blew out the breath she was holding.

Junho cleared his throat as many heads rotated in his direction. He ended up practically paraphrasing what was already said.

"Do you have anything more to add about this poem? Other than what was already said?" the teacher asked.

"No, ma'am," he intoned, the picture of politeness.

"You know, there are no right or wrong answers."

"In that case..."

"Yes?"

Evanna peeked at the boys behind her, who watched their friend with an expectant look.

Junho leaned forward with an easy smile. "I think this whole poem is about an insanely good trip."

Mrs. Abare frowned. "I'm sorry?"

"My man Wordsworth's had some darn good shrooms—so good, he's seeing the entire galaxy filled with flowers instead of stars."

Max was the first to snigger, followed by Shane and Ash. Evanna burst into laughter with the rest of the class.

Mrs. Abare rapped on her desk to restore order and said in her quiet, pleasant voice, "Kim Junho, you will write a three-hundred-word essay on this poem to be handed in by tomorrow. You will write about the theme, what the poet is trying to convey and the techniques he has used. If I see that you have not taken it seriously, the punishment will be repeated until you do."

"But ma'am..."

"Make that five hundred words."

Junho let out an exaggerated groan as another wave of laughter erupted in the room.

Evanna joined the stream of students heading out of the classroom. Then someone bumped hard against her shoulder, making her flinch.

"Ouch!" Sara shot her a reproachful look. "Did you just bump into me on purpose?"

"What?" Evanna blurted out, conscious of unfriendly stares aimed her way.

Sara spun on her heel and walked off, her friend asking if she was alright.

A nanosecond later, Oleanda shouldered past Evanna with unnecessary force.

It was infuriating, but school drama paled in comparison to the bizarre event that upended her reality. Evanna crossed her arms and strode towards the stairwell. The charcoal grey confines offered her a welcome respite.

She trudged halfway down a flight of stairs. Suddenly, a willowy figure lunged at her from behind.

She pivoted around, about to exclaim in surprise—when two hands grabbed her throat and pushed her up against the wall. Adrenaline pumped through her veins as she stared up at familiar blue eyes, which seemed to have lost their vibrant luster. Gasping for breath, Evanna clawed at the hands around her neck.

"I want out of this shithole you zapped us into," Alcina hissed.

"Get off me!" Evanna pushed the taller girl with all her might, breaking the chokehold. "I didn't ask to be here either!"

"Like it matters—you're a freak wherever you are."

Evanna couldn't decide what was more shocking—Alcina without her charismatic mask or seeing her in uniform with hair pulled back into a ponytail. It wasn't just her eyes that were different, without her contact lenses and eyeliner. Her entire face was almost unrecognizable without makeup, though she retained an obvious natural beauty with her well-defined features.

"Lost your tongue, Zeller?" Alcina's stare bored into her. "I'm thinking you might've already talked to Morken."

Her temper surged up like a solar flare. "I was thinking we could work together till we undo whatever this is, but—"

"I wouldn't be caught dead working with you."

"Well, you're a commoner here yourself looks like," Evanna retorted.

Alcina pounced again, rage contorting her features. Evanna tried to dodge sideways, but she grabbed her arm. They thudded to the floor in a tangled heap, and an instant later, an elbow connected with Evanna's mouth. A sharp pain blossomed in her lip, and her eyes watered.

The last thing you want is to get caught fighting, Ev! She kicked away from the other girl and scrambled to her feet. Moisture seeped into her mouth with a salty, metallic tang.

"Run along, you little insect," Alcina hissed after her as she ran back up the stairs. "I'll squash you again."

The corridor was deserted when Evanna sprinted towards the girls' restroom. Her split lip spouted an alarming amount of blood. She tried to contain it with her hand, but it had already dripped onto the white collar of her shirt.

Twenty minutes later, she slunk through the cafeteria towards the food counters. She fingered her wet collar with an air of nonchalance—an attempt to hide the stain that stubbornly lingered despite her efforts to scrub it off. Her lip throbbed with a hot, dull ache.

Evanna got herself a serving of rice and lime juice with extra ice. Then she settled down in a shady corner in the plaza with nothing but rustling leaves for company.

Spooning in a mouthful, she pulled out her phone to look for Ed Morken online. Now free of unwanted apps and files, the phone greeted her with an image from Naruto.

To her utmost dismay, she had found that some books, movies and anime simply did not exist. Conversely, there were unfamiliar titles that appeared to be popular. The phone's photo gallery had fascinated her with many selfies—that of herself in various poses and outfits. She had dumped all of them into a discreet folder in her cloud storage.

Tapping open her new Facebook profile, she ran a search for Ed Morken. Social media was a mess, since Alter-Ev had a significant online presence on several platforms. Evanna had deactivated all those accounts and then proceeded to create herself a new Facebook profile. She had also signed up on Fizzy, which appeared to be the program of choice for video game purchases and gamer interaction.

She sat up straight when her eyes zeroed in on an Ed Morken who was a physicist. She was about to draft a quick message to him when it occurred to her that he might ignore it. After more searching, she came upon an email address.

As she wracked her brain over what to write to him, she fished out a cube of ice from her juice and pressed it to her injured lip.

Evanna hit the send button, and the weight in her mind lifted ever so slightly. That sounds like an earnest nerd, but not creepily desperate.

She finished the last of her meal.

Having cleaned herself up after a long day and now wearing regular clothes, Evanna sank into her bed. Her mind dwelled on the day's events.

Math class after lunch break had been a tense affair due to the frequent looks Anukie hurled her way. As if it couldn't get any worse, Alcina was in the class too, though she seemed preoccupied with Shane, who was sitting at the back with the rest of Obsidian.

So they're not together yet? It must be a total nightmare for AlcinaNo wonder she's cranky. Evanna giggled.

She spent some time sorting out her computer—until the pink all around got to her nerves. The heck, Alter-Ev! It's like living inside a kid's birthday cake. Evanna forgave Alter-Ev, however, when she came across a collection of lovely abstract art.

The cawing of a bird drew her attention to the glass sliding door that led to the balcony. Green-laden branches swayed gently against the backdrop of clear skies.

Gripped with a sudden whim, she rummaged in the wardrobe to assemble an outdoorsy outfit. She picked a white tee with a cute drawing of a dog. She also found a worn pair of black jeans, but no outerwear she liked. In the end, she just donned the school blazer.

Ten minutes later, Evanna strolled down Serin Drive, humming to the Breaking Benjamin track that thumped out of her earphones. Her backpack slung from her shoulders, carrying sugary cookies and one of Alter-Ev's fantasy novels. The trees grew closer together the further she walked, their boughs intertwining above into a tapestry of sun-spangled green. Eventually, she ventured upon a footpath that snaked into the woods.

Tall trees towered around her as she walked into what felt like a different world. Low ferns brushed against her legs, and the air felt deliciously chilly. Silence pressed in, occasionally punctuated by birdsong and buzzing fruit flies.

For a moment, she was transported to Nuara, though the pockets of forest there were misty and dense, with a thick canopy shrouding the undergrowth in darkness. Komoreby's wilderness was more open with sunlight filtering in through the foliage and dappling the mossy, fern-covered ground.

Evanna's spirits soared as she wandered along the path, which forked after a while. There must be more footpaths opening into other suburban roads in the area. Not keen on running into people who might be out on a stroll, she went off-road.

She soon came upon a fallen trunk covered with moss and lichen. Stowing away her earphones, she sank down onto a patch of fern allies and leaned against the wood.

It was so tranquil and cut off from the world that her worries seemed oddly distant—or simply irrelevant. She watched a trail of ants scurrying along the tree trunk. The sight spurred an inexplicable twinge of melancholy in her heart. So wrapped up in their societies, mundane lives and brutal wars...and they have no clue about the greater world around them.

She pulled out the book from her backpack and emitted a contented sigh.

An hour passed by—and another. A ray of amber light fell on her.

She stood up and stretched, swatting away a fruit fly. Then she leaped onto the end of the fallen trunk that touched the ground. Arms held out on either side for balance, she inched along the upward slant. Memories trickled in, followed by nostalgia.

Evanna performed a front walkover, hovering upside down for a lingering moment. A familiar thrill surged through her. Then she landed on her feet, stumbling slightly. She inhaled a lungful of forest air and let out a laugh.

She drank in the view from her elevated position and whipped out her phone to snap a photo. Suddenly, a twig crunched somewhere behind her.

"Evanna?"

She spun around, and her jaw dropped.

Shane Evans stood under a tree, hands in pockets. He sported a high-collared jacket, black jeans and an even blacker graphic tee, while a backpack hung from one shoulder. As she met his intense eyes, a tingle shot down her spine. What's he doing here! How long was he standing there!

He cocked his head. "Catching flies?"

She closed her mouth and blushed. He smiled.

She was rendered momentarily speechless by the effect his smile had on his otherwise bored, inscrutable face. After the incident in the music room, it didn't seem like he had the remotest interest in her. In fact, she had caught his eye once, to her consternation, in chemistry class that afternoon, and he was as cool as ever—almost as if he didn't see her. Well, it's like he has zero interest in anyone really, let alone some random girl he just met. After all, he's, like, a celeb.

Evanna folded her arms across her chest. "What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same question," Shane said, walking closer at a relaxed pace.

No, stay where you are! She was annoyed at herself for not keeping her cool, but then again, she had absolutely no warning that she was going to run into him of all people here. Am I looking okay? Stop, Ev! What does it matter! He's just so...and why did he have to smile out of the blue?

She jumped down from the tree trunk and regretted it when she realized how short she was.

"You live nearby?" he asked.

"Yeah, Serin Drive. I just decided to come explore a little, read a book..." She trailed off when he came to a stop a few feet away from her. He's tall...probably six feet.

"Hm." Shane's gaze traveled to her lips. "That looks painful."

"Nothing—it's nothing," she said quickly, conscious of the swollen wound.

A beat of silence stretched out between them. She blinked up at him, startled by his piercing eyes, further intensified under the shadow of low eyebrows and tousled hair that fell over his forehead.

"So, you're just here for a walk?" she asked, trying to appear bored and indifferent. He must be living close by!

"Yep, but mornings are best. You can shoot some birds up close if you're lucky."

She goggled at him. "What?"

Surprise flickered over his face—then his lips twitched at the corners. "With a camera."

"Oh!"

She burst into a giggle before she could stop herself. It was as if the ice between them broke a little. He's a jerk, remember? He's bad news—like, it's screaming at you. Her smile vanished. The ice settled back into place.

"I should be heading back," she said with a note of finality and reached for her backpack.

In the corner of her eye, she noticed his forehead creasing into a frown, though he said nothing.

"When do you come here anyways?" she asked, hoisting her backpack onto her shoulder. "Every week? On this day?"

His frown grew more pronounced. "Not every week. Occasionally Sunday morning. Why?"

"Oh, so I don't run into you," she said stonily and walked past him.

Evanna sensed him watch her as she strode off towards the footpath that would lead her back to Serin Drive.

When she returned home, her mood plunged down further. Mary and Janet were home, and they summoned her to the kitchen. Her mom was seated at the kitchen island in a rigid posture, while Janet stood leaning against a counter. The very atmosphere made it amply clear that Evanna was in trouble.

"Can you come sit down, Eva?" Mary's voice was strained. "It's time for a talk."

Evanna blinked, trying to blot out the unease that took root inside. Her mom's choice of nickname sounded alien to her ears. Her blank stare switched from one to the other as she sank into a chair.

"What happened to your lip?" Janet asked, eyebrows raised.

"I...almost fell over earlier." Evanna shifted in her seat. "And accidentally bumped it."

Mary peered at her. "It should be treated—"

"It's fine. Really. I applied some ice and stuff."

"Where have you been?"

"I went for a walk in the woods..."

"Shouldn't you have left a message?" A frown eclipsed her mom's face in tandem with the darkening sky outside. "What if you got lost or got into an accident? Do you even know if it's safe?"

"It seems safe enough."

"Girls shouldn't be wandering around by themselves in lonely places."

Evanna bristled, but kept her mouth shut.

Mary eyed her outfit. "And why are you wearing your school blazer?"

"No reason—it's comfortable."

A silence dragged on for a full minute.

Janet spoke up. "I suppose this highlights the real reason we want to talk to you."

"Which is?" Evanna asked, trying to keep her voice neutral.

"You're not yourself," Mary said with a heavy sigh. "It's obvious to anyone."

"Mom, I'm fine. Everything's fine—"

"Look, child, we're trying to help. This is a big change in your life, and it's taking a toll on you, so it's understandable."

"I was discussing with Mary how you might be trying out new things as well," Janet chimed in. "This is a whole new beginning for you, after all. It's just, there are a few things that have struck out to us as very worrisome."

Evanna sucked in a breath. "Like what?"

"You suddenly decide that you no longer want the subjects that you picked? And you don't even tell us about it. We got a call from school to inform us of the change."

Her fingers twiddled with her hair while her brain churned.

"We also got a call from your literature teacher," Mary said, pursing her lips. "She told us you didn't come for class. If you weren't there yesterday, where were you?"

"What?" Evanna blurted out. "I was in school—not like I went somewhere else."

Janet sighed. "We're talking about your literature class after school."

Wait what? The unease grew to such an extent that she felt as if Zerg creep was consuming the last vestige of peace in her mind.

"You just skip the class because you suddenly decided you didn't want it?" Mary's voice took on an angry edge. "Not tell anyone about it either. It's unlike you to be so irresponsible. Were you in a science class instead?"

Evanna shifted in her seat, resisting the urge to knead her temples. She wanted to scream she had no idea what they were talking about.

"Eva, where were you yesterday?" her mom asked in a tone that demanded an answer.

"I...was just walking around after school," she mumbled.

"By yourself?"

"Yeah."

"Have you looked up science classes?"

"Um, no."

"It doesn't bother you that you'd have catching up to do?"

Evanna said nothing.

Janet sat down with a clatter that broke the tense silence. "I can look up some classes and tutors for her."

Mary maintained her stern scrutiny of her daughter. "And what is going on between you and Anukie?"

"Nothing." Evanna swallowed the lump in her throat.

"Is that why she called me, all flustered, to ask what's going on with you?"

"What? She called you?"

"And on top of all this, you don't eat properly. You're going to get sick with this silly, fad diet of yours. This fuss over ingredients and—do you realize there are people who barely have enough to eat, and here you are, fussing about dairy-free and gluten-free and—"

"I haven't asked for gluten-free!"

"Does it matter? It's absurd!"

Janet threw her sister a look, round eyes shadowed in the deepening gloom. "Mary—"

"Alright, let's end this conversation now." Mary breathed deeply as if to calm herself and thumped her palms on the table in a gesture of finality. "Eva, I'd like you to see a psychiatrist."

"Huh?" Evanna's eyes bulged out. "No way!"

"You can go to one session and see how it goes."

She scowled. "No!"

"This is not a request. And remember, we're trying to help."

"Well, you're not helping!"

"That's not a way to talk to your—"

Jumping to her feet, Evanna ran out of the kitchen and thundered up the stairs to her room. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 300 44
"I'm so sorry! This is all my fault! I should have protected you! I'm so sorry Koby" I sobbed loudly. "It's okay. It's not your fault" Koby weakly sa...
266 70 14
| Game of Thrones fanfic becomes Sci-Fi book | Slow-Burn Double Love Triangle | Would you change your body for a robotic one? ❈ ❈...
1.3K 312 58
Feel the potato. Breathe the potato. Be the potato. Embrace your inner potato. -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_- (mood faces intended.) When every teen fiction cli...
7.5K 268 57
"Let's play a game." "What kind of game." "It's to see how much we can annoy each other until the other wants to switch rooms." "You're on." This is...