Finding Me

By HeatherLittle

Steph is a 17 year old just about to graduate high school. She really doesn't have her future planned out , m... More

Finding Me Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13

Chapter 7

71 0 5
By HeatherLittle

I didn't like to act like what I would call a show off but this time I couldn't help myself. I wanted to show off my knowledge of American literature.

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet yet has chanted,
Sing me the Universe."

Becky's eyebrows rose in surprise. "You know Walt Whitman?"

"I love Whitman. And Thoreau. And Emerson," I said. I saw a light of appreciation shining in Becky's eyes. It spread across her face until she was glowing.

I felt the guard that I always kept up around my heart begin to crack. Only a small crack but I could definitely feel the the shift in my chest. Something was changing. It felt weird but good. Not a bad feeling, but different from what I was used to.

Behind Becky, the waitress came out of the kitchen carrying a tray of what I had to assume was our food. As it was only 4:00 pm, we were the only people in the diner.

The waitress sat a plate in front of Becky. "Here's your omelette," she said," and Steph , your usual bacon cheeseburger and onion rings. Enjoy your food." The waitress smiled and left us to eat.

"You must eat here a lot for them to know what you want."

The pepper in the onion ring batter was spicy on my tongue as I put whole one in my mouth. " Yeah I do. My mother and the owner know each other. " We ate in silence for a few moments.

There was a part of me that wants to nothing but just stare at her. I kept trying to sneak glances without being obvious but I was not good at that kind of thing. I'm sure she noticed.

"Can I ask you a question?" Becky asked breaking the silence.

I shrugged. " I guess you can. You just did." My lips tipped up at the corners. Yes it was a stupid joke but at my heart there lies a smart ass person.

She tipped her head to the side and narrowed her eyes. "Okay smart ass. I guess I walked into that."

I laughed a little. " I'm sorry . I can't help it sometimes."

"Most people react when I talk about having a girlfriend ," Becky said, " you didn't" It wasn't a question , just a statement.

"Not really a question," I said.

"Why aren't you shocked?" Becky asked.

My shoulders rose in a half hearted shrug. " None of my business really ," I said . But I didn't stop there. " I'm gay too so nothing really to be shocked about." I was playing with my coffee cup while we were talking. I just noticed that the steam that was coming off of it was now gone. Being gay is not something I readily admit to people , let alone someone I just met a few hours before. I didn't know why I was telling Becky but something told me it was the right thing to do.

Becky was staring at me. It took all my will not to squirm under her gaze. I looked out the window at the blur of cars going about their business on the highway.

"I thought so ," she said.

That caught me by surprise. " How did you know?"

She shrugged. "I have a sense about things sometimes." A smile played on her lips. "But I also could feel your eyes on me as I walked away." I felt the heat rise in my cheeks.

"Sorry," I said, " I didn't mean to be so obvious."

"It's okay. I didn't mind then and I don't mind it now. I see you trying to look at me out of the corners of your eyes." Becky had a casual confidence to her that I wished I had. If I thought my skin was hot before, it must have looked like I had a sunburn now.

"Sorry,' I said again," I'm not good in these types of situations."

"You say you're sorry a lot, do you know that? And what types situations ?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 105K 40
"You all must have heard that a ray of light is definitely visible in the darkness which takes us towards light. But what if instead of light the dev...
574K 49.5K 31
"Excuse me!! How dare you to talk to me like this?? Do you know who I am?" He roared at Vanika in loud voice pointing his index finger towards her. "...
456K 25K 17
๐’๐ก๐ข๐ฏ๐š๐ง๐ฒ๐š ๐‘๐š๐ฃ๐ฉ๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ฑ ๐‘๐ฎ๐๐ซ๐š๐ค๐ฌ๐ก ๐‘๐š๐ฃ๐ฉ๐ฎ๐ญ ~By ๐Š๐š๐ฃ๐ฎ๊จ„๏ธŽ...
2.7M 151K 43
"Stop trying to act like my fiancรฉe because I don't give a damn about you!" His words echoed through the room breaking my remaining hopes - Alizeh (...