How It Should Have Been: Soke...

By Summer_waves9764

[Complete] Sophie is a normal elf, with blue eyes and average abilities. She is a telepath and a polyglot, he... More

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7
Episode 8
Episode 9
Episode 10
Episode 11
Episode 12
Episode 13: (Keefe's POV)
Episode 14: (Keefe's POV) (Possible triggers- self deprecation/being unloved)
Episode 15: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 16: (Keefe's POV)
Episode 17: (Keefe's POV)
Episode 18: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 19: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 20: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 21: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 22: (Keefe's POV) (Tw: verbal ab/se, us/lessness, being unloved)
Episode 23: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 24: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 25: (Keefe's POV)
Episode 26: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 27: (Keefe's POV) (Possible Triggers: Being unloved, verbal abuse)
Episode 28: (Keefe's POV)
Episode 29: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 30: (Keefe's POV)
Episode 31: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 31.5 (Keefe's POV)
Episode 32: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 33: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 34: (Keefe's POV)
Episode 35: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 36: (Keefe's POV)
Episode 37: (Keefe's POV)
Episode 38: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 39: (Keefe's POV)
Episode 40: (Keefe's POV)
Not a chapter but-
Episode 41.5: (Fitz's POV)
Episode 42: (Sophie's POV)
Episode 43: Fireworks (Epilogue)
Afterword (not a chapter)

Episode 41: (Sophie's POV)

4.7K 60 205
By Summer_waves9764

Before:

"Like I said," Biana told him gently. "I get every point of view. After the... kiss... happened, Keefe hailed me and told me what happened. Then, I talked to Sophie with the girls. And now I'm here."

"Don't tell me you-"

"Every time, Fitz. Keefe and Sophie hail me every time anything major happens. And this was pretty major."

Fitz nodded, his neck bobbing as he stopped himself from asking what they'd said. It was none of his business... and he wasn't really sure he wanted to know, anyway.

"It'll be okay, Fizz," Biana whispered, using his (rather unimaginative) childhood nickname as she wrapped her arms around him.

He let his arms wrap around her waist. Maybe he even believed her.

It was strange, almost.

Strange that school started the next day. A new week, as if nothing had ever happened.

But everything had changed; the dynamic in Sophie's friend group had changed entirely.

Everyone in the group seemed to know, even if they'd managed to keep it confined; it didn't seem like word had reached the rest of Foxfire, thankfully.

Somehow, Dex and Tam had been told about the kiss or the breakup or something, and it was exceedingly obvious that they had no idea how to handle it. Other than the occasional tease from Dex and subtle snorts from Tam, they mainly didn't comment.

Especially since Fitz was at school, too.

Sophie considered talking to him, but judging by the look on his face whenever he saw her, maybe it was better to stay away.

That seemed to be his preferred method, anyway, given he was avoiding her like the plague.

He was avoiding Keefe, too, and the way he crossed the room to avoid both of them made Sophie wonder if he knew what had happened.

But that was impossible, she tried to reassure herself. Because even though every time she thought of the kiss her heart fluttered and a blush darkened her cheeks, Keefe hadn't told him, and the girls wouldn't.

Although if everyone in the group seemed to know, it seemed likely Fitz knew as well.

But Sophie shoved the thought from her mind. He was probably just avoiding her because of the breakup. She was avoiding him a little too; that is, not going out of her way to cross paths.

But either way, she needed to talk to Keefe. And not just because she missed him.

Although she did.

But she hadn't talked to him since yesterday, and even though it was such a small amount of time, she found herself looking into her imparter, about to say his name before forcing it down and reminding herself that they needed some time to work through stuff.

But she needed to talk to him. Today. Because Biana had said something about Keefe and Fitz talking stuff over, and since it obviously didn't work (judging by the way Fitz was avoiding both of them) Sophie could only imagine. And her imagination had basically predicted the splitting of their entire friend group in about five minutes, so she obviously needed to have words with the empath.

Getting through the school day was agonizing. Each time Fitz walked away when he saw her coming, each time Keefe sat away from her with a quick glance around at who might be looking, each teasing glance and loaded smile and subtle smirk drove her crazy.

It was better, though, that she was back in school.

Even if lunch was embarrassing torture.

But there was one good part of it.

"Did you all have a nice weekend?" Linh asked innocently, a smile flitting across her face.

"Yep, very good," Biana grinned. Sophie braced herself for the horrifically unsubtle hint about to come her way as Biana continued. "I have some news, actually. Although I think it won't be news to most of you..." she grabbed Dex's hand.

"Oh YES, you're together publicly!" Maruca squealed, clapping her hands together with delight. "Finally! I mean, I'm sure we all knew already, but-"

Fitz's hand slapped the table. All eyes turned to him (Keefe's and Sophie's a little hesitant, perhaps, avoiding his eyes) and he flushed. The brunette casually picked up his hand, although Sophie noticed his other one was clenched into a tight fist.

"Something wrong, brother dear?" Biana asked through clenched teeth.

"Nope," Fitz said slowly. His jaw worked, and he seemed to be debating with himself for a second before blurting, "Only wondering if I'm always the last to know."

Keefe flinched slightly, and Sophie fought the urge to take his hand.

The vanisher sighed. "We were keeping it from everyone-"

"Not everyone." Fitz seemed to be calm enough- his face was smooth, if a little pinched, and his posture was mostly relaxed- but his fist was still balled up, and Sophie wondered if his nails were digging into his skin.

She tugged on an eyelash. She'd broken the habit, but sometimes it showed up again.

"Everyone knew, you said. Except me."

"It isn't like that-" Dex started.

"Right. I want you to know I'm very happy for you," Fitz said quickly, before standing up suddenly. Sophie almost jumped as he nodded once and strode out of the cafeteria.

She stood up automatically, instinctively, to go after him, but Biana shook her head at her, cheeks flushing pink with annoyance.

"Let him brood," the brunette told her. "You're probably the last person he wants to see right now. Well... second last." Sophie didn't miss the surreptitious glance at Keefe as she said that.

The telepath sat back down, biting her lip in the sudden awkwardness following Fitz's departure.

"I'll go," Linh said softly, standing up quietly. "You don't have to, Biana."

Biana gave her a grateful look, dropping back down. "He's not mad at... about us, you know-"

"I know," Linh cast a gentle smile at her, patting Marella's shoulder quickly before heading off in the general direction Fitz had gone.

She left silence in her wake, and Sophie tugged out another eyelash.

"This is my fault," Keefe blurted. "I'm sure you all know... and yeah... but nothing is really-"

"We know," Dex said quickly, cutting him off. Tam nodded in agreement, confirming Sophie's suspicions.

"I'm sorry," Keefe and Sophie said in unison. Sophie stole a glance in his direction, and their eyes connected.

She blushed.

Tam rolled his eyes.

"Look, honestly, we're just glad it finally happened. Not that you got together; I didn't really care about that either way-" Tam plowed right through Keefe's scowl- "But that everyone finally knows."

"Yep," Marella put in, idly running her finger around her tray. "But seriously, you three need to work it out. I'd be glad to be there as a mediator, cause that will not end well. But it needs to happen."

"I know," Sophie winced, pulling her hair over her face. This was so awkward. If talking about her love life drama was bad with Biana and the others, it was worse with Tam and Dex. "We will."

"Good," Tam told her. "The last thing we want is for this group to split apart."

"You're so petty," Marella sighed at no one in particular, tilting her head back. "We all are, though."

Biana grinned, even as her finger tapped restlessly on the table. "Truer words were never spoken."

...

"Sophie!"

She turned, hearing her name as her eyes searched the bustling courtyard for the source of the familiar voice.

She found him, and a smile brightened her face before she could form a conscious thought.

Keefe caught her hand and she laced their fingers together automatically before letting go quickly. She cast a quick glance around, searching for staring prodigies.

Sophie knew she wasn't imagining the hurt that crossed Keefe's face as he closed his eyes quickly before opening them again, a grin curving his lips.

"Hey," she said quickly to cover up her hesitation. "Can we go to... somewhere else?"

Keefe nodded, keeping the smile on his face as he reached for her hand again before bringing it back hesitantly. Sophie made the decision for him, lacing their fingers together again and pulling him just the tiniest bit closer.

And their hands together felt... natural.

Perfect.

Not at all like she'd felt with Fitz. (Awkward, unsure, shy)

This time, a real smile curved Keefe's lips as Sophie pulled them to one of the leapmasters, calling the name of the meadow.

She wrapped an arm around Keefe's waist as they glittered away.

They arrived in the meadow hugging, arms wrapped around each other's waists.

Keefe's cheek rested on her hair, and Sophie closed her eyes slowly as she allowed herself to relax, melting into his arms.

The sun was warm on her back, and a slight breeze twirled across her skin, lifting her hair ever so slightly. Maybe she could stay here forever, she thought. An escape from reality, warm and safe.

Finally (unfortunately), they separated, and Keefe's eyes were twinkling.

"Can't keep your hands off me, can you," he teased, and Sophie was hit by deja vu from that long-ago base quest.

How simple everything had been, back then. Before the truth or dare game that twisted their group around.

"You know me." She rolled her eyes, not able to stop the blush from working its way up her cheeks. "What's up?"

"Do I need a reason to talk to you?" Keefe pouted exaggeratedly. "I would assume staring at my otherworldly beauty would be enough."

Sophie snort-laughed, and Keefe smirked.

"But seriously. What?"

Keefe's face turned a little more serious, and he took a deep breath. "So, I went to talk to Fitz yesterday."

Sophie winced. "I'm guessing that didn't go too well? Given that he..."

"Found out, yeah," Keefe supplied. "It was going well at first... you know what, it's probably better if I show you the memory."

He gestured to his temples, and Sophie stepped closer, placing her fingers on his forehead obligingly.

He didn't flinch, this time, but Sophie noticed his fingers twitched a little bit. She was feeling a little shaky herself, bracing herself for the yelling that had surely come from Fitz when he found out (or probably even before that, when Keefe first arrived) before feeling ashamed.

How could she assume that Fitz would have blown up? Sure, he got angry at lunch, but he was allowed. It wasn't like he turned into a roaring t-rex every time something went wrong, after all, and she couldn't believe that she'd come to expect it.

He was still her friend. And her crush, even though she didn't want to admit it. The feelings were still there.

And his anger was valid.

So she pushed herself into Keefe's mind, watching the memory play out.

Sophie flinched each time they said her name.

Two of her best friends. Fighting over her.

She couldn't figure out why.

Really? Keefe thought. Sophie winced. She hadn't realized she'd be transmitting her thoughts. You can't think of any reason?

No, she transmitted, searching her brain.

After all, she wasn't the most beautiful, the smartest, the wittiest, the bravest.

Keefe snorted out loud, and Sophie glared at him, her face growing hot.

"Sophie, we don't like you because you're the best. Although you are in my opinion-" Sophie resisted the urge to pull her hair over her embarrassed face- "But we like you because... you care. You care, and you genuinely try to care."

Sophie let a small grin grace her lips before she remembered the memory she'd just witnessed.

Still, even though things were messed up and every move she made had to be thought through, she told herself to be brave. Sophie let her finger trace along Keefe's jaw as she pulled her hands from his temples. Her finger brushed over his skin with a featherlight touch. 

His throat bobbed as he swallowed hard.

"Back to the issue of Fitz," Keefe refocused, his voice shaking the slightest amount before he cleared his throat. "Not that he's an...issue, just... you know. That happened, and I didn't handle it super well..."

Sophie blinked, moving her mind back to the problem at hand. Not that she had been focusing on the softness of Keefe's skin beneath her finger- not at all.

Of course not.

"This whole thing is just a mess," Keefe continued. "I have no idea what to do or how to handle this... feelings and stuff aren't really my specialty."

"We'll figure it out," Sophie promised with a resolve she didn't feel.

In fact, she was suddenly terrified she'd lost a friend forever.

And it must be worse for Keefe, who had been friends with Fitz- best friends- for even longer than she had. Keefe, who'd gotten his friend back for a few short minutes before he'd lost him again.

Because of her.

Because they'd kissed.

Because she'd kissed him.

And now he was here with her, probably making things worse.

"Hey, enough with that guilt," Keefe told her. "This isn't your fault."

Sophie stopped herself before shaking her head.

They had other things to talk about. More important things.

"What's... happening with your parents?" she asked hesitantly, steering the conversation onto another track.

More like throwing it onto a whole other neighborhood, actually. But she had wanted to know...

Keefe's face darkened, and she took his hand. He stared at their fingers laced together for a second before taking a deep breath and opening his mouth. "They told me more details last night, after I got home."

He scowled, and Sophie had a feeling they hadn't stopped at telling him about their upcoming separation. Perhaps yelling had been involved. She squeezed his hand, and he continued.

"It'll be official in a few months. Candleshade will belong to both of them, but I don't think either of them will be staying there. Mother Dearest will go to one of her apartments in who knows where, and Lord Gulon-face will probably stay in his 'secret' beach house or apartment in Atlantis."

"And you?"

"I'm not sure," Keefe admitted softly, his grip tightening on her fingers. "I don't know which one I'd rather go with. Or what the other will do if I choose them. But either way, I'll be in the Elite levels in a few years. Then I'll get a place of my own. And... they won't matter anymore."

Sophie smiled sadly, knowing that he wasn't telling the full truth.

They'd always matter to him. And he knew it.

But she allowed their eyes to meet.

There wasn't anything else to say, so she simply nodded.

"But it's okay! Because as soon as it actually happens and they split, I can prank my dad all I want without catching my mom in the crossfire! And better yet, if they leave Candleshade, he'll never find his favorite cape!" Keefe's smirk looked forced.

"The one you hid behind the door rigged with gulon gas?" Sophie remembered, grinning at the thought of Cassius engulfed in the green smelly cloud.

"That's the one!" Keefe smiled. "Don't worry, Ruewen."

Sophie laughed at the nickname he used to use all the time.

"I'll be fine," he promised.

"I know."

You know, I think it's been so long since I last updated, like a month or something. But then I look at the date and it's been two weeks. Which is still a while but definitely not as long as I thought

Anyway

Okay so yeah there was definitely more fluff in that. Dexiana is official, all that.

Do you want me to do a bonus chapter with Linh and Fitz and what happened after she went after him? It could be from his or her povs, or possibly both. Tell me if you want it!

So, I haven't planned this out at all... this is probably almost the end!

A few more chapters to wrap up the drama and everything, then the final chapter (aka the only one I actually have a general idea for)

Or, you know, I could write way too much and drag it on for too long. 

But yeah, that was that! I'll update again as soon as I can! Thank you for all the support and comments and votes! Love y'all!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.4K 237 23
Sophie and Keefe only now knew that they both liked each other, especially after the kiss, but this was definitely NOT was Sophie was expecting to wa...
316K 5.5K 99
Sophie grew tired of the constant Neverseen attacks that were terrorizing the Elven population, along with her friends and family. After regaining co...
178K 1.9K 36
This is a SoKeefe fan fiction but can be read as a normal story without any spoilers from the books. Some characters in here aren't in the books so...
104K 1.2K 31
Wakeupwakewakeup! Sophie has been sitting by Keefe's bed for three weeks now... Elwin says he might never wake up. The time away from Keefe has revea...