Chapter 4

Quincy
Song: I Try by Macy Gray
•4•
Monday

"Hey sis, how are you?" Elaina asked over the phone.

I was driving down the highway on my way back home from work. There was slight traffic so I decided to call her back.

"I'm good. Feeling much better."

"Good. Did you talk to Quincy already?"

"About what?" I scrunched my forehead.

"Like about the gift he sent over on Sunday."

Sighing, I shook my head and moved over onto the second lane.

"Not yet. I wasn't planning to go talk to him actually."

"Why not?"

"Yes, it was a really nice gesture but he's the same Quincy that I sort of get annoyed with."

"Karter, the least you can do is say thank you though."

"Alright, I'll see."

After a few minutes, I turned onto my exit, then drove down a little further before I made a right. Elaina came off the phone cause she was going to workout quickly before she had to make dinner for Julian.

Sometimes I wanted to have that married life, but I sure wasn't ready for it now. I was 25 and work was going well. A promotion was currently sitting on the horizon for me and I wanted it so badly. I've been working with my current company for about three years now since I left college and I work hard day and night to assure that I'm making a good impression and setting myself up to succeed.

I pulled into my parking spot, then got out of the car with my work handbag around my shoulder.

Locking the car door, I strutted to the elevator, spotting my neighbor Cynthia running to catch the same elevator.

"Hey Cynthia!"

I held the door open for her and let her come in.

"Hey girl," she said breathing heavily.

She did a smile as I let the elevator door go, then we hugged.

"How you been?"

"I'm okay. Tired from work and just about to go relax or something."

Cynthia moved from Columbia to the United States when she was five and forged a life for herself. Her parents didn't have a lot when she was growing up and now she had a six-figure salary at one of the banks downtown close to where my sister worked.

"Same here," I said. "How's work been for you?"

"Tiring. I'm thinking about transferring companies honestly. This company works me like a dog."

She ran her finger nails through her slicked back curly ponytail itching her scalp. Cynthia had a round face and tanned skin. Her eyes were hazel in color and she had a bigger hour glass frame.

"Where to though?"

The elevator stopped on our floor.

"Like finance for a social media company like Facebook or Spotify. Not completely sure yet, but I'm ready for some change."

Change sounded nice, even though the thought of it sometimes scared me.

Cynthia and I walked over to our condo doors together and we passed Quincy's door. I kept my head down when I walked past fighting the guilt that I felt now for not saying thank you for the gift. Maybe Elaina was right, maybe I should stop by and say thank you.