Ch 35. A lunch with an old friend

This chapter ties events in chapters 29-31.

Wei Ying POV

Past

"Now, let's talk about you. What has been happening with you these years? We have a lot to talk about," I ask Wen Ning.

"Well, young master, how much do you remember?" he says

"Everything", I reply

"Even when we met in the Porcelain Tower and Gaochen Observatory?" he wonders.

I grin.

"We have met for several lifetimes, but most of the time, you don't remember me" he looks a bit sad, so I put my hand on his shoulder, and I counter ", But we always befriend". Then, finally, he smiles and replies, "and you always marry Lan Zhan."

I shrug. "I can't control myself around him."

We laugh. He continues, "This time, however, I also found my sister and my cousin."

I open my mouth. He smiles, seeing my reaction. "Yeah, he is here too. He is happy and healthy. His fourth birthday was about a month ago."

My baby is here.

"Right now, they are in Vietnam. My sister and cousin are working for the Wen branch there."

I sit still, and my expression becomes serious.

"Wen Ning.... what is happening?"

He sighs and starts, "short version? or the one where I will have to explain to Lan Zhan where were you the whole night?"

I snicker, and he starts, "I have been working here and there. I change jobs and identities every few decades. This time, I was working in Guangzhou as a cop. It was easy to blend there, old and new, you know. I found my sister there, she was seven, and we bonded quickly. Later, I explained why I couldn't age, and she took it quite well. So I have a pretty good life there."

"However, a year ago, we started to have problems with a new gang dedicated to human and drug trafficking. The first body was found in a brook. It was a Vietnamese teen. She was drugged. The autopsy revealed the use of flunitrazepam and hyoscine."

My heart sinks. Those were the drugs used on my assault. My gaze was still fixed on him, and he continued, "Since then, this drug had been found in three more victims. Two of them also died. He sighs, "The first victim of Guangzhou was dismissed as a sad accident of an immigrant, but when the second and third victim appeared, the detectives took the case more seriously and then..... Nothing"

"What do you mean nothing?"

"One day, Detective Luo, the main detective in the case, got ascended and transferred to Hengshan District in the border with Mongolia immediately. Two days later, I had a car accident, brakes malfunction. While I was recuperating, I got an "invitation" to work in the police academy and give training to young cadets and just spent half of my time in the station."

"Things might have ended there, but six months ago, Lan Qiren pressured the police to research about attacks on people using a specific formula of flunitrazepam and hyoscine. That's when police realized other two cases in Xiangcheng matched the drug besides yours and ours."

"Wen Chao?"

"Possibly, three of the victims were illegal immigrants that previously worked in the factory that he runs in Vietnam. Some girls of the factory went missing and never returned" My jaws dropped, and he continued ", As soon as I got news of this research request to my police department, I sent all that we had. We had a meeting five months ago. Lan Qiren didn't trust us on why he got involved or the victim's identity at first but shared his information on Wen Ruohan's illegal activities. The guy has his hands in all sorts of pies, from drug trafficking to money laundering through art collections."

"Then. Things changed for the unexpected. Wen Qing tried to make me talk when I had this accident, but I tried to fool her. She calmed but didn't believe any bullshit. When your uncle arranged the meeting, she confronted us and then disappeared"

He noted my grim expression and lowered his head.

"You know her. She is very fair. She doesn't like to mess with other people, but they got me involved. She left me a note. The next thing we knew, Wen Qing and cousin Wen Lee applied for a job in the branch in Vietnam, got accepted, and they have been gathering information for the last three months. I was pissed, but I might blow up their cover if I tried something. So I transferred myself here as a detective and instructor. Wen Ruohan can scheme, manipulate and bribe in some parts, but not everywhere."

He doesn't say it, but I know someone is protecting him here. Even after four years and even a few lifetimes, he is still annoying.

"Then, I found you and Lan Zhan" he smiles.

"I am glad that you found us," I say. I feel that it is about to rain. I think a drop of water in my cheeks.

"And now you are going to become a married man", replies Wen Ning

I grin at that thought.

He rises from the table and comes to me, "I forbid you to intervene in the current investigation. We will take it from here."

Ah?

"First, you are a victim, and later we might need you as a witness. Second, Lan Qiren will send me packing, if he knows you know".

I sigh. "I might add a third and fourth reason."

"Um?"

"Third, if I don't arrive in one piece to the altar, Lan Zhan will suffer. Fourth, if I screw the wedding preparations, the wedding committee might suffer"

"What committee?"

"It all started after Lan Qiren gave us his blessing. Aunt Rui told Yu and Sanren, and Yu told Yanli. They went hysterical. Lan Xichen and Jiang Cheng have already the blessing of Yu and Fengmian. After a sudden family meeting in Jiang's restaurant, we got a double wedding in six months. We still have to pick a date in a temple, but they will make us go all the way to the altar."

I sigh and continue, "I just wanted to be with him, and now all became this big family thing with invitations, flowers, cakes, feasts, and even honeymoon preparations. They even made a flowchart."

"You thought that it was all like going to the temple bow three times, and you are done?"

"Yeah, pretty much."

"It is because Lan Zhan does all the preparations usually, but I had to carry the invitations, get the flowers, drive the priest and so on."

I open my mouth.

"This is karma, right?"

"Yeah"

I need a moment to let it all sink. I scratch my head, drink my water, and think. 

I am so oblivious. How is it that I am going to become a detective?

We finish our meal.

"At least could you have me updated if something important happens?" I ask

He nods. "I guess I can talk to have you in non-dangerous, life-threatening stuff like surveillance."

Aren't we smug or what? I counter, "You want to have me under surveillance or them under surveillance?" 

"Both", he answers plainly

I laugh

When the bill arrived, I tried to pay, but he refused. "This time is my treat. I am pleased about your marriage. Congratulations"

We leave the restaurant, and I go home. It is true, I have always loved Lan Zhan, and he always loved me back, but even in the darkest days, there was always someone watching my back.

Thank you, Wen Ning.

Happy Valentine's Day and Happy New Chinese Year! Let's celebrate love in all its shapes and forms.

Thank you for reading this silly story of mine.