I'm Not Insane (Michael)

Dedicated to:

123abcdefg

P.S. Thanks for the request Kayleigh!

.

(This is a longer short story btw <3 )

.

-Skyler's PoV-

I was sitting on the edge of the roof of the asylum where my dad had left me for over three years. I know it sounds like I am going to jump, but I promise you, I'm not. No one seems to believe me though, so I can understand why you wouldn't believe me either.

Sometimes you just have to get away from all the chaos and stress of just sitting inside one of these places. I mean, there's someone always pestering me about how I should talk about how I feel. For some reason, my response of "I feel like shit" is not a good enough explanation. They want to get down to the deep stuff. Like how I feel about my life so far and what causes me to have panic attacks.

It's not like I don't tell them. I do. I really do. They just don't seem to listen. I've told them about the voices. I told them about how ignored I was. I told them everything! Yet they still refuse to believe a single word I say. They want to tell them the truth, and when I do, they think I'm lying.

Three years, mind you. I have been in this place for three years. And being here for three years is too long. Two years would be too long. I'd even go as far as to say one year is too long. They really don't understand. They all claim that they do, but I promise you they don't. I've talked to other patients here. We've all agreed on the same thing. They never have, and never will understand.

You can even determine who really is inane though. Just by watching the way people act around others, you can tell just how close to insanity they are. Most people are no where near insane. In fact, I think I've only really seen about two to three people here that are actually insane.

To be honest, I'm not really sure they would be that insane if it wasn't for what happened to them prior to being at this asylum. People are great at hurting others. It's fucking sick. I don't even know what makes it happen. It's like hurting others makes you feel good. It's fucking disgusting. Fucking nasty. Just plain flat wrong. Yet, half the population does it. And I guess there's no getting out of it. You just have to be strong enough to deal with it and realize that it might not be their fault that they are hurting. It's not an excuse, but at least you might be able to understand.

And that's why people like me can't get out of this place. We're hurting, almost dying on the inside, yet no one can understand. Ironic, isn't it? Experts that are supposedly great at helping people can't understand. There is a clear defined line between knowing and experiencing. You will never fully know until you experience.

"Patient Number 475, please report to group session immediately!"

I winced at the loudness of the speakers. They were placed sporadically throughout the entire place. I pulled my legs back from over the edge of the roof and walked back to my window. From the stiffness of my legs, I could tell that I had been sitting there for a while. I glanced once more at the setting sun. It would probably be dark by the time groups session had ended and we had all eaten dinner.

I climbed in through the open window and semi jumped into my room. I reached out to grab the bars that would fit snugly in the window frame, then proceeded to close the door. One would think that they would bar down the windows better as I am in an insane asylum. But, the fact that I could just merely push it proves otherwise.

I groaned and braced myself for all the shit I would get for being late to group session again. This certainly wouldn't be the last time that I will be late. I grabbed my hoodie and walked out of my room before locking it with my key and shoving it into my coat pocket. I walked down the hall and nodded at a couple of other patients that I knew. I wouldn't say that I was a social person, but being nice to other people pays off. Apparently one act of kindness may lead to a great friendship? Although, I don't have any major ones, so I shouldn't be the one to talk. But that's what people say.