Chapter Forty-two: The Test of Allegiance

Start from the beginning

They all filed in one by one, not another glance given to Aberforth. Ron scowled greedily at Draco before insisting that he go in before him. The ginger didn't trust having Malfoy at the back of the lot in a dark winding tunnel.

"This is inventive." Luna acknowledged as the group began the long trek through the tunnel with nothing but wand light.

Neville smirked proudly. "This is the only way in or out anymore."

Draco grimaced at the edged rocks pocking out through the walls, clipping his shoulders at every turn. It was dark, wet, and cold and he had no desire to remain in the passage any longer than absolutely necessary.

"Ember said that they lifted the ban on apparation." Hermione commented, nearly tripping over a lone stone.

"Only Death Eaters can apparate in and out of the grounds. And they can only apparate to certain areas of the castle." Neville explained as he ducked under a thick stalactite. "And who's Ember?"

"The girl who followed Snape around all last year." Ron supplied and Draco had to bite his tongue at the overly simplified description of his favorite person.

"Ah."

To digress the situation, Hermione changed the subject. "How is it with Snape being Headmaster?"

Neville shrugged. "Hardly ever see him. It's the Carrows you need to watch out for."

"So we've heard." Harry added dryly.

They were quiet as they all came to the end of the stretch. Suddenly the wall began to move as the back of another portrait door swung open, pouring light into the tunnel.

It revealed an open room that resembled a jungled fort with canopies of beds and stacks of unorganized rations. Students of every house were scattered around, clumped together in groups, their attention stolen completely when Neville stepped forward. "You won't believe what Aberforth had for us this time." He prolonged before stepping aside and revealing Harry Potter to the downtrodden students.

A calamitous uproar of applause and yells filled the room as they all climbed out of the portrait hole and left the tunnel behind them. The trio, plus Neville and Luna, rushed down the ladder to greet all their ravenous peers. But Draco lingered behind at his own pace. His eyes scanned over the familiar faces but there wasn't a Slytherin in sight.

When he reached the bottom, attentions seemed to shift onto him. Their exhausted eyes looked upon him like he was the plague, or an infestation that you couldn't quite exterminate. Their faces were pale, eyes hollow, several had minor cuts and bruises like Neville and he stared horrified at what had become of them. His once fellow classmates gazed at him with derision and looked to Potter for answers.

Harry ran a hand over his face, Ginny Weasley at his side, completely exasperated by the problems that arose with bringing Draco along.

Seamus Finnigan, his face betraying none of his sentiments towards Draco, turned to Harry. "And just what the bloody hell is he doing with you?"

~

It was daunting. Snape's hand was grasped around Ember's bicep dragging her along the shrubbery of Malfoy Manor. He gave her a slightly sympathetic look, as sympathetic as Snape could look, and squeezed her arm reassuringly once before tossing the door open and guiding her roughly to the sitting room she was quite familiar with.

The sight was ridiculous. Voldemort was sitting on the settee holding one of Narcissa's dainty tea cups with his thin fingers. One leg was crossed over the over, baring his naked feet for all to see.

Lucius sat off in the arm chair on the far side of the room, Narcissa standing obediently behind him. Walden Macnair sat gangly in the remaining chair while Wormtail cowered next to the fire place.