Singing = Death (but not really)

~~Jordan Carter

Friday 13th, 3:30 PM~~                                                  

Chapter One

                It all started on a Friday night. Who could have guessed my life would change on a Friday; and Friday the 13th no less! I love Fridays.

                "Jordan!" I wonder if everyone's best friend likes to yell.

                "Yeah, Katie?"

                "OMG! Caleb just told Sarah who told me that Evan is going to be at Kar's bar tonight!" Katie is one of those girls who knows everything and likes to tell everyone.

                "OMG!"

                "Hey! It's not nice to mock someone. Didn't your parent's ever tell you that?" She actually looked hurt, but that was just her superb acting skills.

                "Maybe, but they never said I couldn't mock you," I said with a smile. School has always been one of my favorite places, but most certainly not because of the 'learning experience.' Katie lives across town so I only get to see her at school and sometimes on the weekend, like this one!

                "Well, look. We are going tonight. I am going to make you sing, whether you like it or not!" Katie has this obsession about me and singing. I don't like to sing in front of people, and she knows it. I'll sing in the car and sometimes, maybe, in the shower, but not always, because I know my parents can hear me.

                "Katie, how many times do we have to discuss this? I really don't like to sing in front of people. Maybe you have me confused with your other best friend, the one who is as outgoing as you are and loves to be the center of attention," I said, putting my Calculus books away. It's going to be the death of me. Senior year is almost done (45 days, 5 minutes, and 14 seconds, but who's counting?), and I can't wait to get out of here!

                "We will discuss it one more time for good measure. And I'm going to win. Listen hear missy, I know you can sing and you're going to, want to know why?" She looked like her freaking dad the way she said it. He's this hot-shot lawyer for all the stars in Nashville.

                "No, not really," I said, watching her smile. But it wasn't a good, cute smile. It was an evil smile that made the hair on my arms raise.

                "Too bad; Evan is going to be there. And I know that you've liked him for about six months now, and it's finally time to make your move!" She finally got done making her hair look nice in my locker mirror and was ready to go when she said this; I just wanted to crawl in a hole and decompose.

                "Do you have to say it any louder? I don't think Mrs. Smith heard you in the office!"

                "Oh, please Jordan. Everyone knows it except Evan and that weird lunch lady," she said, walking down the hall, "And tonight, you are going to get up there and show him!"

                "But I don't want to show him. School is almost over and he is going to Yale, and I'm going... well, I'm just going. But I know it's not going to be there."

                I don't think Katie understands what emotions are rolling through me. And how could she? She is perfect, with her long, curly brown hair and some of the prettiest green eyes. Her body is like a model's, only curvier. Me? No curves; only a butt that won't go away and hair that won't ever curl. She can get any guy she wants, and has, but me? I haven't had a boyfriend since the tenth grade...and we won't go into that story because it is just too gross to retell. Let's just say braces, spinach, and kissing don't mix.

                "Hon, I underst--." she tried to console me, but I wouldn't let her.

                "No, you don't understand. You really don't. You can get any boy in the world to follow you around hand and foot, but I couldn't get one stupid boy to ask me to the prom! Let's go."

                I got in my car and waited until she got in the passenger side. It took her a long time, and I'm kind of worried that she is going to come back at me with another argument, but when she got in, she was quiet. This is a first.

                It's not like I don't want to sing. I really do. But I can't. I get so nervous sometimes that I want to pass out. Speech class? Kill me. Maybe if I was singing with someone, I could handle it. But even then, I don't think I could sing without my voice shaking. I love to sing, and I'm okay, I guess. It's not like I've ever had lessons, because that would mean singing in front of someone. Maybe if Katie suggested singing together...

                "What if we both got up there? And sang together?"

                I swear; it's like she is in my head.

                "Well...," just because I said it in my head doesn't mean I am actually going to do it.

                "Please!!! With your singing skills, and my acting skill, if we did a song from a musical, we would knock them off their seats!" She looked so excited. She was not blessed with any sort of singing ability. Really, please do not ever ask her to sing, because she will and you will want to run away. But you wouldn't because that would be rude.

                "Okay, I guess I'll do it." I swear, she is going to be the death of me.

                "YAY!! OMG, I am so excited! Now, what are we going to wear...?"

                Yep, kill me now

 Hope You like it. Please comment and vote!!!

Love ya!