Chapter 1- The Fall

—Ive also posted this on Archive Of Our Own under the name Zomater—

Tommy was tired of being cold, he hated it. There was a reason he didnt go with his family when they started the Artic Empire, he much preferred to stay in the warmth of Business Bay. He wished he had that choice now that he was stuck in exile. It was freezing in Logstedshire, what with him only having a tent to hold in the heat. He hadn't had time to grab anything to keep himself warm before he was escorted from his home by Dream.

Tommy huffed angrily and tugged his blanket tighter around himself. Why hadn't Tubbo or Dream let him grab a jacket? He only had the blanket he had now because Ghostbur had helped him shear the few sheep that wandered the fields surrounding Logstedshire. Tommy leaned off his bed to peak out of the entrance of his tent, trying to see if Ghostbur had returned yet. He'd left that morning to go retrieve Tommys jacket, or at least a proper blanket. It was night now, the sun having set nearly two hours ago. Tommy had waited on the beach for Wilbur to return, desperately basking in the dying rays. As the sun set he savored the fading warmth of the day before trudging into his tent to try and sleep.

Sleep was hard though when the wind was so harsh. He just wanted Wilbur to get back already with his jacket. He laid back down and squeezed his eyes shut trying to ignore the cold quickly creeping into his tent. He knew from experience it only got colder as the night went on. Tommy flipped onto his side and wrapped the blanket tighter around himself until there wasnt any gaps that the cold could come in through. That didnt stop it though, as it quickly invaded through the thin wool. Tommy decided this just wasn't going to work, crawling reluctantly out of his bed. He wandered into logstedshire and lit the campfire he'd made that day. The fire felt amazing, warming him as the blanket couldn't. Yet the wind kept blowing. No matter how many times he moved to try and get out of the way of the wind it blew the warmth away from him.

Tommy yelled in frustration as the wind blew the fire out. That was the one thing keeping him warm! He knew he could relite it but what was the use when it would simply be blown out again. It wasnt like him to give up so easily but he didnt have the energy to keep fighting that loosing battle. But he didnt have to did he? He nearly laughed at himself for not realizing it sooner, where would a fire stay lit and he wouldnt be cold? The nether! He quickly stood and rushed to the portal, wasting no time in stepping into the gateway.

He smiled at the familiar feeling, as no matter how many times he went through portals the feeling of floating and then warmth was welcomed. He stumbled out and breathed deeply before laughing. It was so warm in the nether, he could feel the chill being chased from him as he sat down on the nether rack. The lava crackled far below him but he wasn't to worried, he was a safe distance from the edge. Although the nether rack wasn't exactly comfortable... Tommy squinted at the nether hub in the distance and hummed to himself. It would be far more comfortable to sit there, the smooth blackstone bricks seeming so much more inviting then the rough nether rack he was currently on.

It was safer there too, offering walls to hide from ghasts and chests that sometimes had spare weapons in them. With that in mind he wandered onto the cobblestone and obsidian path he'd made to get to the hub. He treaded carefully as he stepped onto the log part of the bridge. He tried not to think of when he'd done this, driven by grief and hurt. He still felt those feelings but he knew cutting off contact from the only people he wanted to see wouldnt help with that. Tommy sighed as he stepped into the hub, safe and warm at last.

He shuffled into a corner and gazed at the sky, well its not really a sky more like a roof. It wasn't a pretty sight but he'd take it if that meant warmth. He couldn't stand being so cold all the time, as well as hating the cold it just reminded him of the fact he was exiled. Every time he felt the wind he'd think of how there was a snow biome right across the mountain that sat beside the fields of Logstedshire. The cold blew in from there at night, chilling him to the bone, and everytime all he could think was how this WASN'T L'manburg. It was warm there. Even when the weather turned cold there was always jackets ready, fires lit, and when it got especially bad, people to snuggle into.