Grim Defeat

TW: lots of mentions of harry's past abuse

//

Professor Dumbledore sends the Gryffindors back to the Great Hall, where they're joined by the very confused Hufflepuffs, Slytherins, and Ravenclaws minutes later.

"The teachers and I need to conduct a thorough search of the castle," Professor Dumbledore tells them all. "I'm afraid that, for your own safety, you will have to spend the night here. I want the prefects to stand guard over the entrances to the hall and I am leaving the Head Boy and Girl in charge. Any disturbance should be reported to me immediately," he adds to, most likely, Percy. "Send word with one of the ghosts."

There's a brief moment of silence before Dumbledore says, "Oh, yes, you'll be needing..."

Harry hears a lot of shuffling and rustling.

"Sleep well," Professor Dumbledore says before the door the Great Hall shuts.

Immediately, the hall breaks into excited chattering as the Gryffindors start telling everybody what happened.

"Everyone into their sleeping bags!" Percy shouts. "Come on, now, no more talking! Lights out in ten minutes!"

"C'mon," Ron says, grabbing Harry's wrist. They all grab a sleeping back and drag them away from the rest of the students.

"Do you think Black's still in the castle?" Hermione whispers.

"Dumbledore obviously thinks he might be," Ron says.

"It's very lucky he picked tonight, you know," Hermione says as they climb into their sleeping bags fully dressed. "The one night we weren't in the tower..."

"I reckon he's lost track of time, being on the run," Ron says. "Didn't realize it was Halloween. Otherwise he'd have come bursting in here."

Harry thinks Black knows exactly what the date is. Halloween is not an easily forgettable date, especially when something so monumental happened on said holiday. Harry gets the sudden thought of what would happen if Halloween turned into Harry Potter day and gives a snort. Ron smacks his arm and this only spurs him on.

"The lights are going out now!" Percy shouts. "I want everyone in their sleeping bags and no more talking!"

A few minutes later, Harry whispers what made him laugh to Ron, and it makes Ron begin to snicker, leading Hermione to huff and hiss at both of them that there is nothing funny about this situation, you absolute children.

Once every hour, a professor appears to check on everybody, and at around three in the morning, Ron hisses that Dumbledore is here. Hermione smacks them both and tells them to pretend to be asleep, telling Harry that Dumbledore and Percy are nearby.

"Any sign of him, Professor?" Percy whispers.

"No. All well here?"

"Everything under control, sir."

"Good. There's no point moving them all now. I've found a temporary guardian for the Gryffindor portrait hole. You'll be able to move them back in tomorrow."

"And the Fat Lady, sir?"

"Hiding in a map of Argyllshire on the second floor. Apparently she refused to let Black in without the password, so he attacked. She's still very distressed, but once she's calmed down, I'll have Mr. Filch restore her."

Harry hears the door of the Great Hall open again and more footsteps.

"Headmaster?" Snape's voice says quietly. Harry listens even more intently. "The whole of the third floor has been searched. He's not there. And Filch has done the dungeons; nothing there either."