"Thanks," he said, eyeing the towels in her hand.

"Of course." She handed him the two towels.

She watched him towel his hair dry as he sat on the chair in his usual jeans and shirt as she mopped up the puddle of water from the door to where he'd sat. The normally kempt blond strands looked unruly after being rubbed with the towel, and Aaliyah wondered how he managed to look good even when disheveled.

She put away the mop and the mop bucket, and then headed back to Jason's table and said, "Would you like a drink, or something to eat?"

Jason leaned back in his chair and grinned. "Sweet tea. And what's the special today?"

"Meatloaf with mashed potatoes, green beans, and a roll."

"Then I'll take that,"

"All right, I'll put the order in." She smiled and removed the wet towels off the table.

While she waited for Jason's order to be ready, she bussed tables littered with napkins and cups and water glasses and carried the gray tub back to the sink before pulling out the mini pies from the oven and setting them on the counter to cool. Before she knew it, the bell dinged, signaling Jason's food was ready.

She grabbed the plate and placed it in front of him and said, "Is there anything else I can get you?"

"Not that I can think of, but you can sit down and keep me company."

Aaliyah rolled her eyes playfully at him. "I can't right now. I'm working."

He shrugged "Then take a break."

"I just can't take breaks whenever I feel like it, Jason. Besides, we're short staffed today so it's not a good time."

Jason leaned forward. "Then how about dinner tonight? My treat."

Before she could give him an answer, Samantha poked her head in front of the table and butted into the conversation. Aaliyah glanced around to see the restaurant was mostly empty now, so Sam had been able to sneak away from her waitress duties to bother them.

"Oh? Dinner? That sounds nice. You should go, Lia." Samantha said with a huge grin and gave a thumbs-up sign as she headed toward one of her tables, and Aaliyah gaped after her.

She turned back to Jason, who took a bite of his lunch as he waited for an answer.

"Dinner sounds nice, but tonight is not really a good night. I need to grab some household things for the house after work." She spoke quickly, the thought of being alone with him made her stomach flutter, a feeling too reminiscent of her early years.

"I'll take you by the store afterwards. No problem." Jason shrugged.

She sighed. The man was persistent.

"Okay," she offered.

"Cool."

After lunch, she cashed Jason out and walked with him to his truck. The rain lightened to a slow drizzle, and the clouds began to break, allowing some light to seep through.

"Oh, I almost forgot." she said and handed him a small takeout box. "I made these apple pies. They're really good or at least everyone has been telling me they are. I got one for you and Lucas before they were all gone."

"Thanks," he said, and he smiled back at her appreciatively. "So, I'll pick you up after work?" A Vespa suddenly caught Aaliyah's eye, and she couldn't resist a squeal of excitement. "Oh my god, look at that!" she exclaimed before she ran over to see it, leaving Jason looking confused behind her.