'The skies of this entire world are mine.' the man boasts proudly. 'My family tamed them, and now I own them.'

'Tamed the sky? How can you tame the sky?' you chip in. 'Surely that's impossible.'

'I'm Kazran Sardick.' the man reveals. 'How could you possibly not know who I am?'

'We're not exactly locals.' you reply as the Doctor paces away from the controls and towards you, following Kazran.

'So! We need your help then.' the Doctor starts, pacing through the room purposefully.

'Make an appointment.'

'There are four thousand and three people in a spaceship trapped in your cloud belt. Without your help, they're going to die.'

'Yes.'

'You don't have to let that happen.' you say finally, after letting the Doctor handle the conversation thus far.

'I know, but I'm going to. Bye, bye. Bored now. Chuck!'

Sardick yells to two men behind him, who grab you and the Doctor forcefully. He wriggles himself out quickly, and you do the same, after stamping down hard on the man's foot. You pull up a stool next to Kazran's grand leather armchair as the Doctor paces in front of him threateningly.

'Ooo, look at you, looking all tough now.' Sardick sneers up at the Doctor, and gives you a disgusted look. He attempts to shove you off the stool, but you use your feet to balance yourself and swing right back up. The Doctor shoots him an angry glare.

'Don't you touch her.' He pauses for a second before continuing, keeping his eyes fixed in the glare for its entirety. 'There are four thousand and three people I won't allow to die tonight. Do you know where that puts you?'

'Where?'

'Four thousand and four.'

'Was that a sort of threat-y thing?' he mocks.

'Whatever happens tonight, remember you brought it on yourself.'

'Yeah, yeah, right. Get them out of here. And next time, try and find me some funny poor people.'

The same men from before stride over to the two of you, and forcefully pull you towards the door. Along with the family from before, the guards usher the group of you outside, and in a moment of heated anger, you watch as the young boy grabs a lump of coal from the floor, and throws it hard at Mr Sardick. You, the Doctor, and the boy's father both yell with identical levels of urgency as Kazran stands quickly, with his hand poised above his head and ready to clobber down on the boy. Right at the last second, he stops. His face falls, and his hand with it. You spot a glint of sadness in his eyes- not for the boy, but as if he saw familiarity in the situation. The Doctor catches your eye, and gives you a knowing look that signifies he saw the same thing.

Sardick shouts after the family as they leave, but the Doctor wriggles free of the guard, and serves a pointed look towards the one holding you back.

'We'll be staying a little longer, I think.'

'What do you want?' Kazran shouts back to the Doctor once he realises the two of you are still here.

'A simple life,' the Doctor replies. 'But you didn't hit the boy.'

'Well, I will next time!'

'You see, you won't.' you chip in. 'Now, why? What are we missing?'

You look towards the Doctor, as he begins spiralling around Mr Sardick slowly.

'Get out! Get out of this house!' he screeches.

'The chairs,' the Doctor continues, completely ignoring the man's request. 'Of course, the chairs. Stupid me, the chairs.'

'The chairs?'

Both you and Kazran look towards the Doctor with a look of confusion across your faces.

'There's a portrait on the wall behind me. Looks like you, but it's too old, so it's your father. All the chairs are angled away from it. Daddy's been dead for twenty years, but you still can't get comfortable where he can see you. There's a Christmas tree in the painting, but none in this house, on Christmas Eve. You're scared of him, and you're scared of being like him, and good for you, you're not like him, not really. Do you know why?'

'Why?'

'Because you didn't hit the boy. Merry Christmas, Mr Sardick.'

'I despise Christmas!' he spits back, his tone changing from the vulnerability dripping from his lips when he last spoke.

'You shouldn't. It's very you.'

'It's what? What do you mean?'

'Halfway out of the dark.' the Doctor replies mysteriously. 'Come on, [Y/N]! We have some business to attend to!'

He doesn't turn around, instead continuing to walk out of the door. You follow him, as a small device in his pocket begins to beep. He pulls it out, and peers at the screen.

'It's Amy. I'll put her on speaker,' he sort of half-whispers as he silences the beeping.

'Have you got a plan yet?' you heard her voice on the other end, and it reassured you. She was okay.

'Yes I do.'

'Are you lying?'

'Yes I am.' the Doctor replies flatly.

'Don't treat me like I'm an idiot.'

'Is he lying?' you hear Rory question, slightly quieter. The sound of Amy's fake laughter and a simple 'No, no' was enough to make you hurry the Doctor along the streets in a rush of urgency. The Doctor senses this, and takes more control over the device and pulls it to his ear, preventing you from hearing Amy's responses.

'The good news. I've tracked the machine that unlocks the cloud belt. I could use it to clear you a flight corridor and you could land easily. But I can't control the machine. But I have met the man who can.'

'And he's a prick!' you shout into the device.

The Doctor simply gives you a harsh look, but breaks into an agreeing smile as he gently nods his head. Hearing a voice calling him from across the street, he hangs up the device and begins to head towards the sound. You grab his arm quickly before he has a chance to get any further.

'Doctor, what are we going to do?'

'We,' he says, wrapping his arm around your shoulder and continuing to walk. 'We're going to save Christmas.'

He stops, and spins you to face him.

'Well,' he pauses again, as he did before. This time, he plants a firm, encouraging kiss on your forehead. 'You're going to save Christmas.'