Chapter 1

@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }

Moon Children

Chapter 1

I slammed my fist down hard on the alarm clock that had just rudely woken me from sleep, forcing me to leave the warmth of my bed. I sat up, stretched and headed to the bathroom to shower. I washed my long golden hair with strawberry shampoo and climbed out putting on my favourite black skinny jeans and a red tank top with black paint splatter marks on. I slipped on my red converse and pulled my hair into a ponytail and put my contacts over my silver eyes before going downstairs. I walked into the kitchen looking out the window onto the drive to see that both my parents and brother where gone. My parents where normally out this early but my brother was usually still in bed till my dad called him from the council or when I had to drag him out of bed. I grabbed the juice cartoon from the fridge drinking it all before I ran to my car climbing in before heading to school.  

As I pulled into my school car park my two best friends ambushed me.  Katie Marigold was my best friend since we had first met 15 years ago when she moved to join our pack. My other friend Riley had always been my friend she was more like a sister to me. I knew everything about her and vice versa. I’ve known her since I was born because her dad is my dad’s best friend and second in command. I climbed out of the car and gave them each a hug before we headed to our lockers.

“I feel like screaming! Gosh Lilly I’m so excited!!!”  Katie yelled in my ear jumping up and down gripping my shoulder. I laughed and rolled my eyes.

“Why?” She looked at me as if I’d forgotten her birthday or something.

“Today is the day we get to meet guys! Oh my god! It’s better than a boyfriend it’s a mate, a life mate!!” she started jumping up and down again as my face turned unnaturally pale. How on earth could I forget that today was the day my life changed forever? How could I forget that today I meet the guy that the elders expected me to spend the rest of my life with?

“Shit. How on earth did I forget? Crap no wonder my brother darted this morning.” I smashed my head against my locker and groaned as Riley laughed.

“I don’t understand on how you can be so happy about this Katie. You do understand that after today life will never be the same. One of us might even have to move to another pack!” Katie just shrugged and skipped down the hall towards our class. Riley and I laughed at her and followed suit towards the room.

As we sat in our usual seats and talked until a man I recognized from pack meetings came into the room.

“Quiet please. Today as you should be aware is the day that we join packs across the country by mating. You should also be aware that you are apart of the generation full of alpha children, meaning that amongst you are the people that can stop wars between packs.” He walked up and down the isles as he spoke looking us up and down as he did. “The alpha generation happen ones every forty years at the point where all the worlds alphas have a child this child, no matter their sex or siblings, will either succeed their parents or marry into another pack creating a truce through marriage.  Sometimes, like this year, there is also the once in 200-year opportunity of joining together countries rather than just states, towns, cities and packs. I’m here to control the mating process. This means that I can sense the bonds of mating. Mating varies on strengths some mates will sacrifice anything for their mate. Others aren’t pulled as strongly to the bond meaning they can be away from their mates. For the past ten years of your life you have been prepared for this day. Trained to be the best mates possible so that you are ready to take over your pack if need be in two years time.” I rolled my eyes as he droned on about the bonds of mating and how our lives are about to change for the better. I tried hard not to make eye contact with Katie knowing that if I did I would burst into fits of hysterical laughter, pissing of the bond dude and make my father disappointed and angry.

The guy talked for a few more minutes until a lady knocked on the door. As she came in a feeling of power came with her. She wasn’t as powerful as my family but she was stronger than the normal werewolf. Some of my weaker pack mates bowed their heads in submission whilst Katie, Riley and I sat straighter showing our pride and strength.

“Dave the last pack has arrived you can start sending them in now.” She smiled at him and left again swaying her hips as she left.

“Alright, you have been divided by strength and ability because mates are usually a similar rank. The following five have been placed in the strongest group.  Lilliana Claude, Riley Reed, Katie Marigold, Jennifer French and Susana Beech. Ladies please follow me to the mates we believe will be the most fitting. As you know, your wolves are as strong as your mate, sometimes stronger. They are your other half. So make a decent attempt of being nice to them or your going to regret it for the rest of your life you can count on that.” For the first time in my life I felt scared. I was terrified of what waited on the other side of the door. I feared the fact that my life would never be the same. I was worried that my parents, my father especially, would be disappointed in the mate that was soon to claim me.

I gulped back the air as they pushed me in the room, as I was the strongest female in my pack and because our pack had the strongest females (royals had so far only had males.) I had the “honour” of being chosen first.

As I walked in the first things I saw was four giant thrones at the front of the room, I guess they where the country alphas. Well alpha’s to be. I looked around noticing they where all sat by rank and pack. The princes sat on their thrones at the back. Then it was the entire group of alphas from America and around the world. They where followed by the rest of the packs all sitting in rows of chairs. I saw the alpha’s lean towards me in interest. I rolled my eyes. Today all I had to do was sit on the seats at the back of the stage and be stared at by over three hundred guys. Yay! I went to the seat at the back of the room it had a chair on either side that where soon filled by Katie and Riley. Around two hours later the room had filled and emptied after people had found their mates. As a alpha female it was my job to stay the whole time. Riley and I had been listening to my iPod for the past few hours and been dancing around and giggling. I honestly didn’t care what the guys staring at us thought. Katie on the other hand was acting ladylike and posh. Giving Riley and I another thing to tease and gossip about. We’d been in the hall for around three hours before the last groups had left and only the alpha’s remained. It worked differently for us. Our parents had to agree and sign treaty agreements before anything happened. Riley and I had finally stopped laughing when my parents walked in behind the royal families. I went over to my parents kissing my fathers cheek and hugging my mother before my brother grabbed my and pulled me into a huge bear hug sweeping me of my feet and spinning me in circles. Leaving me in hysterics and my mum embarrassed. My just rolled his eyes and went back to talking with his partners.

My eyes swept the room, looking for Riley and Katie. I saw Katie giggling near some guy a sappy expression on her face and Riley was walking towards us.

“Lilly, if I have to stand and listen to my mum drown on about weddings for any longer I think I might have to kill myself.” She looked terrible and all I could do was chuckle.

“Riley if our parents don’t stop I’ll kill you then your mate will kill me ending my misery.” She shook her head and hugged me.

“I hope we don’t get separated by to far I don’t know how I’m going to live without you.” She looked as if she was about to cry.

“Don’t worry. After you meet your mate you will be to busy with him to even remember my name.” I bumped her with my hip and giggled. She feigned a hurt expression and bumped me back pushing me into some teenage guy. I looked up about to apologise endlessly when our eyes meet.