Ginny glanced over at him interestedly. "Fancying a little midnight rendezvous, du Lac?"

"Yeah, with the only open shop in Hogsmeade." The blond Slytherin scowled. "I forgot to get Celena a present, but as long as it's shiny, expensive, and somewhat thoughtful I think she'll forgive me if I call it a..." he paused dramatically and then continued with a flourish of his wand, "a 'New Year's surprise' instead."

"Right, good luck with that one." Harry actually laughed as he nodded his messy, dark-haired head in consent. "And sure, you know where it is. Just bring it back in one piece, or you'll owe me a deathly hallow." Everyone seemed so light and carefree. They had all been this way since they had discovered that the Heir of Slytherin's curse had gotten irreversible.

"It's about bloody time he did!" Ron had said when she had told them, sounding almost impatient. "Now we can finally get on with our lives. Back to normal."

"Yeah, like living in the nineteen forties is a normal thing," Ginny added, rolling her eyes. Celena and Daniella had both been informed later in the day. Hermione tried to forget the utter glow of the Slytherins' eyes as she was told that her fellow housemate was dying.

But Hermione, on the other hand, simply couldn't 'get on with her life,' as Ron had so easily put it. She desperately wished she could put this all behind her and obliviate every single memory she had of talking with Tom Riddle.

She couldn't because Tom was a part of her life now, whether they liked it or not. Seeing him nearly every morning, and every night; exchanging spell ideas, homework tricks, and a multitude of insults. She couldn't stop attempting to fathom the mystery behind his vast, stormy gray eyes, his odd mood swings, his sometimes dangerous or unexpectedly charming personality quirks... it was just natural to her.

Another grin broke out on the Boy-Who-Lived's face as they passed the lip-locked Ron and Lavender on the stairs, and he grinned at Hermione, "I never thought I would say this, especially at a time like this, but I'm so glad those two are together."

"That was corny...but I second that," Hermione muttered absently. She hadn't forgotten the sharp jealousy she had once felt towards the pair in her 6th year. Those days had long passed, and she was beyond happy that Ron had found someone who made him happy...even if that particular girl had been making her ears bleed.

"Oh, stuff it, you two," Ginny cut in, lowering her voice as she furtively threw a glance over her shoulder at her snogging brother and his girlfriend while simultaneously pulling her luscious ginger tresses into a ponytail. "You won't have to have her as a sister-in-law."

Draco's eyes lit up evilly, and in a very Fleur-like voice, he cooed, "Zat 'eeze right, dah-ling! You will 'ave to keep us updated on ze drama, no?"

Absently straightening any bumps in the up-do, Ginny glared at Draco, her hazel eyes a cross between amusement and irritation. "Just so you know, Drah-co dah-ling," she cooed back just as mockingly, raising her eyebrows and mirroring in her smirk the devilish glint in his eyes, "You didn't sound particularly strai-"

"Oi, I knew it!" Like a bullet, Ron took his cue to rejoin the conversation and energetically jogged towards them, straightening his sweater but not bothering with his mussed mop of red hair as he pulled a pleased–looking Lavender after him, "Harry, what have I been telling you? All these years and nobody's ever believed me—"

Lavender let out a screech of infectious laughter, and the perfectly horrified expression that exploded onto Draco's face was so priceless that Hermione's overly uptight mind spluttered as she let out an unsuccessfully concealed laugh.

Draco promptly glared at her. "Just so you know, you're not being particularly helpful right now, Nef."

Impishly, Hermione covered her mouth with her hand, her eyes twinkling, and mumbled, "Payback for the dance, Draco dear," through her palm. Draco gave her such a withering, disgruntled scowl that Hermione's eyebrows rose in hilarity. She took a step away from the impressive but familiar wooden doors of the Great Hall, and the tantalizing smell of dinner wafting out from inside.