"Yeah." He pulled away and wiped his eyes. "Thanks for being cool about it."

"Of course." I pulled his head toward me and pressed a kiss to his temple. "But you still need to wear condoms."

He pushed me away with a groan. We shared a laugh and he dried his face. 

 "I miss my mom in times like this," he said. I ignored the pang in my chest. "I'm really glad you're here to talk to about this stuff."

"I am, too." That much was true. "But, you know . . . Even though it may not feel like it sometimes, you do still have your dad."

Matthew sneered. "He wouldn't understand."

I smirked. "I think your father is more open-minded than you might think." He rolled his eyes. "Finish packing so I can take you to the store before you leave."

"Aubrey, I am not going to do it with anyone," he groaned.

I laughed at his expense. "Then I'm grabbing you one from my room."

"Ew! You have some here?"

"Yes. Just because I have them doesn't mean I'll use them, but if I need to use them, I'll have them. See how that works?"

"I am so done with this conversation."

"You and me both," I laughed. "Finish up. I'll check on you later." He lifted a hand in lieu of a wave.

I left him and went down the hall to my room. I couldn't remember the last time I used a condom but I knew I had them somewhere. A look in the top drawer of my nightstand came up empty. They must be in my dresser. I pushed my clothes to the side and leaned down to search through my things. Still finding nothing, I straightened back up. I turned around and jumped with surprise.

Augustine stood in my doorway with his shoulder leaned against the frame. In a rare sight, he was dressed casually. Camel-colored pants, an untucked white oxford rolled up to the biceps and unbuttoned one too far, revealing the delicious veins of his forearms and deep crevasse of his chest. He looked wanton and relaxed like sex—someone who just had it or someone who would be having it soon. My body was hoping for the latter.

The more open he allowed himself to be, the more attractive I found him. Having one less layer of toxicity made him more palatable, more delicious. Even with the awkwardness of our interactions the past few days, the hesitation to dive in deep while feeling so raw, I still found myself wanting a taste. 

"Mr. Montgomery, I'm starting to think you like seeing me bent over," I teased him. He managed a weak grin. "What are you—?"

"Aubrey! Aubrey!" Tabitha yelled, running into my room while dragging Sebastian behind her. "Daddy is going to take us outside."

"Oh, is he?"

"Can you come with us?"

I had a feeling it wasn't really Tabby who was extending the invitation. I looked back at Augustine and smiled. "Let me go talk to your brother, then yes. Of course I can."

We strolled together along the waterfront, the breeze still too hot to keep the sweat from misting on my face. The twins ran ahead. "Don't go far. And stay away from the water!" he called after them as they scurried away. It made me smile to see him act like a father. Though he still had layers to shed, there was a good parent hidden somewhere inside. "Some shade and a cold beverage would be lovely, don't you think?"

"Definitely."

The gardeners scurried away, the same way all the staff ran away any time the widower approached. Augustine gestured to another person before they scrambled away as well. He sat upon a sculptured wood bench beneath a wisteria tree and relaxed back. I sat a casual distance from him and got distracted by the beauty of the canopy above us. The trendles of the tree fluttered gently in the wind, the last of its purple petals falling into a colorful tapestry at the foot of the bench.