Chapter Three

"Are you sure you're alright?" Wilbur's voice cuts through my thoughts. We're currently walking through a densely wooded area, surveying the land for any signs of tampering by our enemies.

"I'm fine. Why the sudden question?" I ask, stepping over a fallen log. Wilbur follows behind me.

"You've been quiet this entire time. Normally when you're this silent, you're lost in your thoughts." He explains and I sigh.

"I've been around you all long enough now that you're able to get a read on me, huh?" I tease. Wilbur tenses up and refuses to make eye contact, causing me to laugh.

"Wil, I'm just teasing you. I guess if you'd like to know, I was just thinking about that night and subsequently all of the events that followed suit after. Like, why do you guys trust me so much?" I ask him, the thought gnawing at my mind. Wilbur is quiet now, too. Likely thinking of an answer to my question.

"That's... actually a good question. I think what makes you so trustworthy is your loyalty. You're loyal to your beliefs, and you believe that L'Manburg should be free." Is that it? That seems like such an empty thing to base trust off of. I frown, Wilbur catches it.

"Did I say something wrong?" He asks and I shake my head.

"No, you didn't. It's just that, should you really base your trust off of my beliefs alone? I could easily say I believe in one thing and mean another and you all would believe me. It doesn't build trust the way trust should be built." I explain to Wilbur and he hums, seeming to agree with my statement.

"You're right. However, there's more than just your beliefs that's made us trust you, (Y/N). While you are loyal to your beliefs, you also know when to stand up for yourself and those around you. A redeeming quality if I'd say so myself. You were willing to give up your life living in the kingdom with Dream and his allies. You're willing to fight for what you believe in. That is what makes you trustworthy." Wilbur explains to me, which makes a whole lot more sense than just claiming my beliefs were what made me trustworthy. It makes me feel a bit better after hearing what he heard.

"Why the sudden question anyways?" He asks. I look away, not meeting his gaze.

"It was just a random question, no meaning behind it." I state, nonchalantly. There was a reason, but I'm not going to explain it to him or anyone else just yet. It's silent between the two of us once more. We come across a cliff that overlooks the ocean below. The waves crash against the shoreline. Just staring down at the waves leaves me feeling calmer already. I sit down by the edge, pulling one knee up and resting my chin on it. Wilbur joins me.

"Have you ever wondered what's out there?" I ask. Wil nods.

"Often. There has to be more civilizations out there. I wonder if there are any like L'Manburg. I'd hope not. L'Manburg is meant to be a place where people can get away from the tyranny of their rulers. If there's other places like L'Manburg, that'd mean there's just more corruption in the world out there. But that's just wishful thinking. No matter where you go there will be people like Dream, controlling and power-hungry." I frown.

"Dream wasn't always like this." I whisper softly, but loud enough that the male beside me could still hear me. He glances over, eyes questioning me.

"What was life like growing up with Dream?" Wilbur asks. I sigh, smiling at the old memories.

"Free. Every day was a new adventure. There wasn't a day where it wasn't fun and full of adventure. Before we settled down in this land, we were constantly on the move. Not because we were on the run, but because we wanted to run. We explored the depths of caves, old settlements, temple ruins. We even visited the nether a few times." I close my eyes, reminiscing the old memories I had of my adventures with the three boys.