Chapter Five-Part One

Start from the beginning

      "When was the last time you talked to Frank?"

      She hesitated. Bonnie hadn't shared Frank's location with Annalise, but that didn't necessarily mean she could trust her. 

      "Why?" She inquired.

      "I want to thank him, Karmen."

      She stared at her with partial shock.

      "Oh. So, everything we say here stays between us?" 

      "Yes." Bonnie stated firmly, and Karmen almost believed her. But then she thought about how she caved in to Laurel and then she betrayed her.

      "How do I trust you?" She stared straight into her eyes when she responded,

      "Frank's my best friend. I miss him, and I just want to thank him."

      Everything in her screamed that she was being truthful, so at last, she gave in.

      "I talked to him three days ago. I had previously warned him about Laurel, but he said he was gonna stay in Coalport for a little longer."

      "So do you think he's still there?"

      She shrugged. "I don't know. Want me to call and ask?"

      Bonnie shook her head. "No, don't. I want to explain to you why Frank killed my father."

      "Oh, okay."

      After taking a deep breath, Karmen realized it was something heavy, so she uttered,

      "If it's too hard, you don't have to tell me. I understand."

      "No, it's fine. I trust you with this."

      And then, she explained everything. She told Karmen all of the trauma her father had put her through. Abusing her, sexually and physically, and passing her around to other men. Karmen was disgusted. 

      "Oh my god, Bonnie. That shouldn't have happened to you."

      "That's why I'm grateful to Frank." She mumbled, her eyes glossed over.

      "Do you think he's still there?"

      "Yes. That's why I'm asking if you want to come with me to Coalport."

      She blinked in surprise. "I...I don't know. I was supposed to study with everyone."

      "It's fine if you don't want to. It was just an offer."

       Karmen raked a hand through her hair, mentally debating. Having to deal with Laurel and Connor along with studying, or getting the chance to see Frank again. The choice was obvious.

      "When do we leave?"

      Bonnie smiled. "As soon as you're ready."

      "Let me get my coat."

      Five minutes later, they were out the door. Karmen and Bonnie spent the car ride having conversation where the former came to respect Bonnie much more. She would admit to even having a bit of fun along the way. When they at last made it to the funeral home at Coalport, she paused. She didn't want to overstep; it was Bonnie's trauma, after all, not her own.

      "I can wait here."

      "Come. Please." Bonnie said, so she agreed. The two slowly walked into the building, where a man met them. He was explaining funeral processes, but when they made it to the casket, he questioned,