C h a p t e r T w o

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "I'll Try Anything Once" By The Strokes

C h a p t e r T w o >

Rae feels her nerves knotting her stomach as she pulls the van up outside the Alpha's house. When she puts it into park she winces as the clutch gives out. She hates driving stick but this VW van is the only thing she could find on her limited budget that could fit everyone in it.

Angling the rearview mirror Rae checks her hair in the mirror. Usually she couldn't care what she looks like but when faced with seeing the ultimate authority figure she imagines looking presentable wouldn't hurt. So after smoothing down a few stray pieces of hair and pinching her cheeks a little so she doesn't look so scared shitless she sits back with a sigh.

Better get this done sooner or later.

Climbing out of the van she shuts the door hard, knowing that if she doesn't it won't stay shut. That was how the van lost its radio the first time. Currently it's on its third radio and this one Rae isn't too keen on losing. Putting her satchel over her head the strap cuts across her chest as she grips it for dear life while approaching the Alpha house.

The house is unsurprisingly huge but also has a down home feel about it. Its not too stuffy or modern, in fact it kind of reminds Rae of a plantation style home. One of those Gone With the Wind type deals that has stood here since before the Civil War. With the double porches, white columns and orange trees planted outside with little flowers sprinkled here and there. It's the kind of home Rae wishes she could raise the kids in but knows it'll take a hell of a lot more money to achieve.

Her knuckles are about to hit the wood of the front door when it suddenly swings open to show the beaming Alpha female. Alpha Julia looks as beautiful as ever with her long strawberry blonde hair in two braids, bright blue eyes and creamy white skin. She's dressed in a flowing navy blue sundress with bare feet.

"Ah, Rae! Were we expecting you?"

Rae puts on a polite smile, "Yeah, Jace told me that the Alpha wanted me to stop by."

Smacking her forehead with the palm of her hand Alpha Julia rolls her eyes. "Of course! Kendrick told me but I'm such so hair-brained these days I completely forgot. Come in, come in!"

Walking in with a quick bow of her head Rae stands in the colorful entry. "How is the little new addition?"

This is actually the first time Rae is actually speaking with the Alpha female beyond pleasantries. Alpha Julia and Alpha Kendrick only found each other about five years ago and Rae hasn't seen her since her mother's funeral three years before. So, just to be safe, she's trying to be on her best behavior.

Alpha Julia grins at the mention of her new baby, "Great! I'm just glad he isn't having colic like Sadie did. I swear the first year of her life all she did was cry."

"I'll take your word for it." She smiles.

"Do you want some tea or anything while you wait? Kendrick had to run to the border quick to check with his Beta. I don't know why he didn't remind me you were coming before he left though."

"Alphas have a lot on their mind. I'm sure he was just too concerned with other things to remember such a small detail as my visit."

Rae almost wants to gag as she says it but with Alphas it better to just pretend you're less than them or it could set off their wolf. Alpha wolves are terribly touchy about real or perceived disrespect. They fought for their position and the paranoia about having it taken away makes them edgy. Its one of the reason a lot of non-ranked wolves don't like having direct one-on-one conversations with them. Its like walking on egg shells the whole time.