A flush reddened her cheeks. "Is it that obvious?"

"Oh, yeah." He flashed her a smile that caught her off guard.

She smiled back, surprised at being greeted with such enthusiasm so early in the morning. Good hire, she thought.

"Sorry." She cringed a little. "I just moved here, so all of this is new to me."

"Ah, well that explains a lot." He chuckled. "Can I help?"

She considered his offer for a moment. What did she have to lose by getting a little help? She pulled a piece of paper out of her purse and unfolded it, revealing the list she had written down of items she was going to need.

"Sure, if you don't mind." She handed him the piece of paper.

"Not at all," he said, studying the paper before turning to look at her. "I'm Jason, by the way."

"Aaliyah." She shook his hand, which engulfed her own.

As they walked through the wide aisles, they finally came to a stop in the paint department. "Do you know what kind of deck stain you're looking for?" he asked.

"I don't have a clue."

"Well, if you want to show off the beauty of new wood, a clear finish is the obvious choice. But that clarity also leaves it vulnerable to the sun's rays, and that means more frequent reapplication. Solid stains offer great sun protection, but hide the wood's grain under an opaque film. It's got about a four-year life span, but like all film forming finishes, they tend to peel or crack. The most popular finishes are semi-transparent stains, which are also the easiest to maintain. They contain more sun-blocking pigments than clear finishes, but not enough to completely obscure the wood grain. Just recoat after three years and you're good."

She nodded with a nervous smile. "I think I'll go with the last choice."

"Semi-transparent it is." A hint of a smirk curved his lips. "About how much do you think you'll need?"

"Um, probably about two gallons."

He pulled two gallons of stain off the shelf and picked up the paper, looking at it again before continuing down another aisle. "Sandi's Café, huh?" he asked. "What in the name of God's green earth possessed you to work there?"

"Wait, how did you know?"

"You're wearing their logo." He pointed to the small emblem on her white polo.

Aaliyah mentally slapped herself for being so stupid and grabbed a few brushes off the utility hooks. "It was the only place hiring at the time that was close to where I live," she said. "Besides, the people there are friendly. I like friendly."

"I'm just pulling your leg." He chuckled. "The only reason I'm asking is because you work there along with my sister, Samantha."

Her eyes widened. "Samantha's your sister?"

He tossed a few more things into her hand basket. "Yep. That's my baby sister. She's a handful."

"Funny, usually it's the other way around with older siblings." She gave him a playful smile.

He grinned knowingly and tossed the last of the remaining items on the list into the hand basket. "Well, that's the last of it. Just follow me up to the front and I'll cash you out."

"Thank you."

Taking a deep breath, she followed him to the register.

Jason rang up the two gallons of deck stain, paint brushes, tape, and lumber.

"That will be fifty-five dollars, please."

She reached into her purse and pulled out her wallet, extracting first a fifty, and then a ten.

"Would you like a bag?" he asked as he took her cash.

"Please," she muttered, her voice soft and wavering.

Casually, he placed her purchases in a plastic bag and handed back her change.

He came out from behind the counter. "If you pull around back, I can load up that lumber for you." Reaching into his back pocket, he took out a pair of work gloves.

"That won't be necessary, I don't have a vehicle," she said. "If you don't mind, could you just hold onto the items in the back for now and I'll stop by first thing tomorrow morning to pick them up?"

"Listen, I get off of work here at seven," Jason said, running his hand through his hair. "I can load them up in my pickup and stop by your place this evening to drop 'em off before I head home."

"I appreciate the offer, Jason. I really do, but I can't ask you to do that." Her ears and cheeks felt hot as a ball of nervous energy formed in her stomach.

"It's no problem," he insisted, watching her intently as she quickly gathered her items from off of the counter.

"I'll be by in the morning. Thank you for all your help," she said quickly as she passed by him, leaving before he could say anything more.

***

Lucas, one of the sales associates and Jason's best friend, joined him as he watched the girl retreat.

"Jason has a crush," Lucas sang teasingly.

Jason punched him in the shoulder. Lucas retaliated until they were laughing and grappling on the floor of the store like wild animals.

"Boys! Boys! My lord, seriously. Frank, come control these boys!" Catherine flushed as she came out of her office, a mix of laughter and embarrassment flashing across her cat-like features, crow's feet showing at the edge of both her eyes as she laughed and ran a hand through grey-streaked hair.

Frank, their boss, emerged with a flyswatter and smacked them each upside the head once. They cursed and finally separated.

Jason stood there for a moment longer and watched her walk away. She looked uncomfortable, definitely nervous, and he had simply tried to lighten the mood with small talk. He found her attractive, very attractive.

When she was fifty feet away, she stopped and adjusted the sack on her left arm. Jason shook his head slightly and took his cell phone from his back pocket as he headed to the back of the store. He scrolled down his contact list until he found who he was looking for and pressed call.

"Hi, Jason," she said when she answered.

"Sam, I need a favor."