-the night we met-

karl jacobs x fem!reader
warnings: angst, sadness, break up, very sad 
word count: 0.6k

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:⠀ *⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

I am not the only traveler

"please," her cries filled the dark room. "you can't do this. you can't just leave when it gets hard."

"y/n...." his voice trailed off when he heard a sob get caught in her throat. the moon, barely peaking out of the clouds, illuminated the tear tracks racing down her cheeks. he wanted nothing more than to rest his hand on her damp cheek and brush away the sadness that he has caused but he restrained himself.

"why? why are you doing this? why are you leaving me?" she whispered, another broken sob escaping.

"i have no ch-"

"bullshit," y/n shouted. she paused for a second, trying to stifle her cries. "that's bullshit and we both know it."

Who has not repaid his debt

"i don't want to hurt-"

"then why are you?"

"i'm scared that i'll never be good enough," he finally admitted, his own heavy tears rolling down his cheeks. "i'm scared that you'll stop loving me."

I've been searching for a trail to follow again

Take me back to the night we met

"but if you leave we'll never be able to figure this out. if you leave," she took a second to regain her composure, what was left of it anyway. "if you leave, you'll lose me and...and i'll lose you."

"i'm sorry y/n," he whispered as he grabbed his already packed duffle bag. and before y/n could even blink her red, tear stained eyes, he was gone and in his place was the millions of pieces of y/n's heart that he mercilessly crushed.

"oh god," y/n sobbed. the force of her sobs caused her to collapse to the ground. her body was shaking as she tried to ground herself. "please come back."

I had all and then most of you

Some and now none of you

outside of the small apartment, karl pressed his back against the front door. his own sobs shaking his body. his heart cracked as he heard y/n's sobs of anguish and pain. he fought everything in himself to turn around and leave, ignoring the signs of his own heart ache. he needed to think.

he was fixing the situation by leaving, right? it would be better if y/n grew to hate him without him there than for him to see the gradual loss of feelings, right? but did he know if she would even stop loving him or was it his mind playing tricks on him? was there any proof that she stopped loving him already?

he didn't know. all he knew was that he wanted all of the heartache and the wondering to stop. he wanted to be able to know for certain that neither of them would be hurt from their relationship. which was counterintuitive now that he was thinking about it but that didn't matter. what mattered was he thought he was doing the right thing.

When the night was full of terrors

And your eyes were filled with tears

When you had not touched me yet

Oh, take me back to the night we met

so he packed everything up in the small duffle bag y/n got him for their first christmas. he stuffed it with all of the memories the two had created in the past two years. the midnight drives, the dances in the rain.

I had all and then most of you

Some and now none of you

Take me back to the night we met

the countless movie nights, where the movie was long forgotten and background noise to their conversations about anything and everything under the night sky. the memories of them meeting, the first time he met her parents and the first time she met his. he had packed it all up, taking the happiness with him, in the matter of thirty minutes.

I don't know what I'm supposed to do haunted by the ghost of you

and with his duffle bag full of memories and his heart full of pain, karl walked away, every happy and sad memory playing on a loop in his mind.

Take me back to the night we met