Chapter Seventeen ✅

Start from the beginning

He tittered. "Yeah. Who doesn't?"

We went back downstairs. Far away from his little questions that could get me caught. He helped me with my math problems, it took me a while to get them but I got it right at the end of the day. Mom and dad came home from their jobs and got acquainted with Vincent. He stayed for dinner, then went home. He said that he'll pick me up tomorrow morning and then we can walk to school together again. I loved that idea, which had me thinking we could meet Paul on the way. He doesn't stay in our neighbourhood but close by. We can meet up with him every morning and go to school together. That's fun. Having someone to walk to and from school.

After dinner father was sitting in the kitchen with his phone in his hand, drinking warm blood. I sat down next to him, "dad. Can I ask you a question?"

He looked at me, "of course, sweetie,"

"Why's Alejandro in town?"

Father raised his eyebrow and took a sip from his blood, "Alejandro is in town? I didn't know, are you sure it's him?"

I nodded my head. I know Alejandro. I was positive.

"Then I don't know. Whatever he's in town for then isn't vampire-related, or it is but my father didn't authorize it. Otherwise, I'd have known," dad tapped his fingers on the kitchen counter. Deep in thought, "what are you busy with, Alejandro?" He looked at me, "you know I never did trust him,"

I looked at my hands, "I almost caught the vampire, but he deliberately let her go. I don't know why,"

"See, these are the kind of reasons why I don't trust him. He's always doing shady things. I'll see what I can find out for you."

"Thanks, daddy. Goodnight,"

I went closer to him to wrap my arms around him, he hugged me back and kissed me on the forehead. I went upstairs and texted Saskia, now I'm onto Alejandro. Does he know this vampire? Or does he enjoy it when vampires kill humans? God, Alejandro is a human hater. But why? They're so harmless.

He indeed picked me up the next day and we walked until we found Paul standing off in the distance, waiting on us. Together we walked to school, they argued about music. Which rock bands are superior. I didn't know any of the band's mentioned so I didn't chip in, they played music from the music and I still couldn't end their debate. I liked both Metallica (who Vincent suggested) and Queen, how can anyone choose a better band? They're all great, but then again I don't listen to music as much. All I now know so far are the old musicians from the 40s 50s and 60s which I enjoy. Paul, Vincent and Jason are out here teaching me music from the 70s 80s and 90s. I wonder why they collectively don't listen to today's music? Maybe Laura can teach me what kids listen to today.

At lunchtime, Beverley and Caitlyn joined us. They don't normally do that, they had ordered fish and chips and we all sat down and dug in to enjoy ourselves. Jason pulled a face of disgust when he picked up a chippie and it had red nail polish on it, he placed it in Beverley's paper plate. "Just take your shit,"

She picked it up and noticed her nail polish on it. She took it off, "Oh. I'm so sorry, Jason. This is gross,"

"I'm glad we could agree,"

"Anything we're doing this weekend?" Lemon asked. We all stared at her because we're all going to Laura's birthing party. But she can't know that. It's a secret.

"Um... my family and I are going out camping," Paul lied first, "this weekend. Sorry,"

"And I... since the accident, my family and I wasn't getting along much. We'll book us in for a spa treatment. Three days, from Friday to Sunday evening," she nodded her head. "Yeah. That's what we'll be doing,"