Chapter One

Hehehe hey guys ;)
Coming soon. It's gonna be a blast.
P.s. this book is super cute but still heavy at times- don't get mad at me lol.
Enjoyyy
• • •

Jake's POV***

"Just get your ass over here! " Max yelled over the music. I held my phone a little away from my ear with a slight wince in response.

"I said I'll get there when I can," I replied, sighing and sitting further back in my desk chair. I spun a pen around my fingers absentmindedly to occupy my hands. The music got quieter on his end as he went into another room.

"Dude, there are only so many hot cheerleaders available... and so many rooms, if you know what I mean," he spoke again, and I rolled my eyes.

"Whoever you share one with tonight sure is a lucky girl," I told him, but he didn't catch my sarcasm.

"Damn right, now get over here, and bring some booze," he said and hung up.

I tossed my phone down onto my desk with a sigh, running my hands down my face. Sleep. That's what I needed. Not this lame ass party.

My brother and his wife were out of town for a few days, but I didn't tell anyone that. The last thing I needed was for Max and them to pressure me into having a party here. It also gave me a good excuse to put off my arrival for as long as possible, claiming that they were holding me up.

But it was close to 11:00 now, and that excuse was wearing off pretty quickly.

I didn't like parties. I didn't even like drinking. But somehow I was always pulled into it. I probably should have gotten new friends by now, but it was my junior year, and I didn't care enough to try and find a new crowd. I was alone most of the time, anyway, and I was comfortable with that.

It wasn't that being with other people felt out of my comfort zone or anything, but I just usually stuck to myself and my own demons. There was no need to bring other people into my shit, or for other people to bring me into theirs. Simple as that.

Everyone always told me how much I looked like my brother, with our dark hair and blue eyes, but my life certainly didn't look like his had when he was my age. Sure, he had a shit ton of problems to deal with- raising me being one of them- but at least he had really good friends to back himself up with it. I wondered if he ever really appreciated that enough in the moment.

After throwing on a black T-shirt and using the bathroom, I went to the kitchen. Neither of them two really drank much, considering their history, but there were still a few bottles of alcohol in the lower cabinet- for guests and whatnot. I pushed past them and grabbed the vinegar.

I poured some of the putrid liquid into a spare water bottle and added some lemonade power, creating a fake mixed drink that to an unsuspecting drunk person would taste completely normal. Max's bowels probably wouldn't thank me later, though, if he did end up trying it.

My keys clanged together as I scooped them off of the counter, looking over at my parents picture on the fridge. I had never told my brother, but I honestly didn't think I'd remember what they looked like outside of that picture. I sighed as I walked past it, mentally apologizing to them for the shit I always got myself into, wherever they were.

The car was silent as I drove, but the soft hum of the wheels on the road made it harder for me to fight zoning out as I drove. Damn I needed to sleep.

By the time I arrived, I was in absolutely no mood to do anything other than climb into my bed. But despite this, I parked along the side of the road and sat for a moment, dreading getting out.