Treat Her Fair

It was a widely known fact throughout Alfie's 'bakery' that Y/N was always to be treated kindly and with respect – if they didn't, they'd either lose their job or their life. Whichever Alfie saw fitting. Any new men that came to work for Alfie were given a strict talking to before they were even allowed to meet you. Alfie's assistant, although you were more involved within the business than just an assistant. Some would say that you were partners in the business if they didn't know you well enough.

"Y/N love, bring me those papers o'er here will ya?" Alfie stuck out his arm, fingers outstretched waiting for you to place his papers into them.

"Of course, Alfie. Although, you do have legs you know." You quickly gather together the papers that Alfie was referring to and carefully place them in his hand, giggling as you do so.

"Thank you, darling. My sciatica's playing up again, ain't it." You nod and smile, making your way back to your desk across from him.

"If you say so boss." He gives you a disgruntled look which quickly turns into a smile. He could never be mad at you. No matter the circumstances, you could do no wrong in Alfie's eyes.

When you had first started working for Alfie Solomons, your desk had been wedged into the very corner of the room and cluttered with mess. You had barely started your first shift before Alfie had hurriedly crossed the office to clear the mess for you, he refused to let you help him. He had said that it should have been done before you started and that he would be having words with Ollie for not doing so. You had laughed at that, already knowing that he hadn't asked Ollie to do anything of the sort. The sound of your laughter had made Alfie feel warm and he knew instantly that he was going to like having you around.

The very next morning you walked into the office and shook off your coat, hanging it on the back of the door. Alfie had yet to arrive, so you took a seat at your desk and started with your day. Not even ten minutes later did Alfie stumble through the door looking dishevelled. His scarf hung haphazardly around his neck; his hat slightly askew; and his shirt was buttoned all wrong. He was breathing heavily, as if he had run the entire way from his house to the 'bakery'.

"Alfie, are you alright?"

"I'm fine love, don't worry." He threw his coat off and tossed it onto the back of the door, a skill you had admired since you had started your employment. You must remind yourself to ask him to teach you one day. You smiled at the thought. "Cyril, the bloody pest. He got out this morning chasing a bleeding cat." Clearly Alfie had had to chase his dog down the street before he had made his journey to work. He explained all this whilst placing his hat and scarf onto the armchair next to the door.

You watched him as he limped across to his desk, using the edge as a support as soon as he was close enough.

"You forgot your cane Alfie. What did the doctor tell y-"

"I know, yeah. I'm sorry. Won't happen again darling, alright?" You nod your head as you accept his promise. Alfie takes a seat in his chair with the least amount of grace a man of his stature could manage.

"Don't forget you have a meeting with –"

"Thomas Shelby, I know love. How could I forget?" He smiles across at you and you return the gesture.

"Here, let me help you Alf." You move towards him and he watches you carefully as you approach him.

You go to crouch down, but he stops you, instead standing up and turning himself so he sits perched on the edge of his desk, you were now stood in front of him. You delicately start to undo the buttons of his shirt, starting from the bottom and working your way up. This was an entirely new interaction between the both of you, a blush was creeping up your cheeks at the thought of how close the two of you were in that moment. Maybe you had thought of Alfie in another way than just your boss before, but nothing too extreme. But now these thoughts were running a mile a minute through your brain. Your hands begin to shake slightly as your fingers continue unbuttoning his shirt. You look up to his face briefly, a look of serenity on his face, his eyes bright and soft as he watches you.