Back to Margate

The last time you had visited the seaside town of Margate, you had watched the love of your life die. You had been stood two-hundred yards from Tommy and Alfie when it had happened. Cyril was sat at your feet watching the two men the same as you had been. When the conversation had grown more heated and you could tell by looking at Alfie's demeanour that he was becoming argumentative, you had crouched down to Cyril, gripping his collar in one hand and with the other. In the moment that you had witnessed Alfie removing a gun from his jacket pocket, your heart had stopped – even more so when Tommy fired his.

You remember screaming Alfie's name, your grip on Cyril's collar loosening as he pulled against you. Cyril had sprinted to his owner and had been nuzzling his nose under Alfie's arms and torso to try and wake him. Somehow you had moved yourself in your moment of shock to sit beside your fiancé. The cold and wet sand seeped through your trousers and coat, the chill settling into your bones as you sobbed over his body. Smoothing back his hair, you had placed a soft kiss to his forehead and then to his lips – your final kiss. A final goodbye.

Tommy had watched as you sat mourning on the beach that day. The bullet wound in his side was numbed by the adrenaline that had been coursing through his veins. Alfie's words running through his head. Tommy had sworn that he would protect you after Alfie was gone, as well as to look after his dog. You remember Tommy grabbing you under either arm and pulling you from Alfie's body. You had fought him then, kicking and hitting, he had no right to touch you after what he had done.

Eventually, exhaustion had overcome you as Tommy half-dragged and half-carried you from the beach – away from your love and your future.

-Time Skip-

When you had received a call from Tommy two nights ago asking you to accompany him to a meeting in Margate you initially refused. How could he even ask you to attend with him, when he knew full well what had happened last time you had been to Margate?

Since that dreadful day, you had become more independent, although working for the Shelby's probably wasn't your best move at the time. Tommy had offered you a place to stay in Birmingham if you wanted, as well as a home in the country. Alongside this, he had offered you employment with Shelby Company Ltd. You were not able to refuse such an offer. Yes, Alfie had left behind a large sum of money and a lovely home, but you couldn't bring yourself to use them.

Eventually, Tommy had convinced you that this meeting in Margate would be worth your while and that once you had gone with him, you would be dismissed from Shelby Company Ltd. permanently but would still receive your wages with a healthy bonus on top. To this you agreed.

Now, here you stood on the beach again, this time alone. You were stood in the very spot where Alfie had died. You twisted your engagement ring around your finger, after all this time you still wore it. The thought of taking it off had never occurred to you until now, you pulled gently at the metal but as you saw the place where the ring had settled on your ring finger, you couldn't bare to part with it. This was your last piece of Alfie that told people you were his once upon a time. But you always would be his and he would always be yours.

"Y/N!" You turned abruptly to find Tommy across the sand, his hand beckoning you towards him. Quickly you pushed the ring back down your finger, in that moment, promising to never again think or try to remove it. Approaching Tommy, you could tell that he was agitated, it had been a long time since you had seen him this way.

"Everything alright, Tommy?" He nodded slowly, looking towards his shoes, kicking sand up as he did so.

"Everything's fine, Y/N. Just fine." He gave you a half smile as he let you back towards the village sitting on the top of the cliffs. His arm behind you, guiding you without contact.