Chapter One: Blurred Lines

Start from the beginning

Sometimes I wonder what it would've been like if I hadn't seen my families murder, feeling my soul shatter with theirs. Would I be married by now? What sort of life would I have been leading?

The air is thick, I didn't even notice his scrutinizing gaze as the flashes of my family enter into my mind. Their screams. Their pain. Is this what you would've wanted father? A broken shell of what mother once was, I didn't even know who I was. Was I just a government dog.

Was I doomed from the start? My fists tighten the visible tension in my body as the rage so easily shoved from my mind resurfaces. My veins pop from the back of my hand, I'm pretty sure if the Captain called me now I'd sucker punch him into next week.

However just as fast as my shield crumbled, it rushes back into my mind and steels my resolve. I finally meet his analytical gaze with a steeled one of my own. That smudge of vulnerability. Gone.

"Alright wonder boy, times up! Make room for the injured. I can practically feel Donny's impatience from here." I cross my legs, placing my hands behind my head while leaning back. My form is mostly covered by these chunky nurse uniforms. It's so troublesome, but it saves me from a lot of gawking.

Just as I finished, Donny's loud whining from outside is muffled through the tent flaps. "(Y/n)! Hurry it up already!"

"I'll get you to talking, eventually."

After his final comment, he takes his time shouldering on his white button up, buttoning up his shirt but ultimately missing a couple.

"I'd like to see you try, sir." I sigh and with an eye roll, bring him forward by his collar. My fingers snapping the rest on, his eyes burning through me.

A smirk burning it's way into his face as he waits for me to look up just to be a tease.

When I don't fall into the trap, he uses his thumb and forefinger to manually tilt my head up. My breath almost got caught in my throat and our bodies are close. The magnetic pull between us is as strong as the moon and the tides.

"Is that a challenge?" That look almost unraveled me.

I'm feeling a little bold today and so I fake a sly smile letting the hands on his collar run down his chest, he shudders under my touch the visible goosebumps beneath my finger tips make me bite my lip, before giving him a shove out the tent. A small 'oof' sounding from behind the curtain where he landed.

"It's whatever you want it to be, Lieutenant."

Donny storms in with loud stomps, the top of his head bumping into the top of the tent because of his size. He is a hulking man from Brooklyn, dark features with thick hair. His features are attractive and blend together well, only thing is he's louder than necessary. If I had a couple minutes with him I'd have him wrapped around my finger so quick it would be funny.

"Hey sweetheart! Mind patching me up?" He pulls his shirt off, his overall straps hanging off his waist. For a hulking creature, he had a tone of an athletic man. The bat swinging certainly built up the tone in his arms and those doe like eyes gave him a indescribable charm.

But somehow, he ended up the closest I'd call a friend. Maybe it was stubbornness or that charm I speak of, but he's there and never doubted my abilities.

It was refreshing.

"Wanna keep your tongue?" I take his face in one of my hands, a thumb on his lips to prove my point further.

"Not if it's down your throat." He wiggles his brows, that confidence never faltering despite my intimidation. 

I find myself smirking and shaking my head at his comment. He really knew how to turn things around that sometimes it even surprised me.