One

“Sugar, are you going to get up?” A faint voice asked me.

              I turned my head over to face the door. A woman with long, curly hair was standing there. She was pretty blurry. I rubbed my eyes and noticed she was my mom. Pale skin, dark brown hair, bright blue eyes.

              “Yeah, yeah. I’m getting up.” I glanced over at the clock.

              “My alarm already went off?” I asked. It had been five minutes since my alarm should’ve stopped.

              “You slept through it, I guess.” My mom said and left my doorway.

              It took a bit of courage to get up.

              A bit?

              No, a lot.

              I picked out some jeans and a black and gray sweater and put them on. I looked in my full length mirror.

              “Ew,” I mumbled.

              I brushed my stick straight black hair out till it actually looked like hair. I put my contacts in and shoved my glasses into my bag.

              I rushed down the stairs and slid on the hardwoods in my socks to the table. My two year old brother Isaiah laughed as I fell into my chair.

              “Good morning!” I said as I squeezed his cheeks. He laughed again.

              My sister Lucy rolled her eyes.

              “Marcie, stop.” My dad’s stern brown eyes pierced mine.

              “Sorry. Geez.”

              I got up to get me a bowl, a spoon, the milk, and some chocolate Cheerios.

              “Marce, get me some Cap’n Crunch,” Lucy said.

              “What’s the magic word?” I shook the Cap’n Crunch box, mocking her.

              Lucy heavily sighed. “Please,” She murmured under her breath.

              I gave the cereal box to her. “You’re welcome.”

              I poured the Cheerios into my bowl, Lucy doing the same. Isaiah flung his applesauce everywhere. It looked like he was dancing.

              “Whee!” He said.

              “Isaiah!” A voice said behind my little brother. He stopped, his eyes widening.

              “Oopsie,” he said innocently.

              His green eyes wandered around the room, pretending that Mom wasn’t right beside him.

              “Mister, I think you need to be back in your high chair,” She mumbled as she cleaned up the mess he made.

              The morning went well. After a normal Newman breakfast, I brushed my teeth and packed my bag for school.

              “Bye!” Lucy and I said in unison as we walked out the door, heading for the bus stop on the other end of our street.

              Lucy was checking her Instagram feed as we got to the bus stop.

              “When are you ever not on your phone?” I asked, pulling her iPhone from her hands.

              “STOP!” Lucy yelled after me.

              I unlocked her phone with the passcode 1-3-5-7.

              “Give it!” She screamed. I gave the phone reluctantly back to her.

              “I’m going to tell mom and dad you have a boyfriend!” I yelled in a singsong-y voice.

              “Huh?” She asked.

              “You have five new messages from Dylan White. Don’t lie to me.” I gave her a stern look, just like mom would if she found out.

              “We’re just friends.”

              “Then why did he send you a text saying, ‘Hey babe, miss you’? Huh?”

              Lucy sighed. “I swear that if you tell mom, I’ll kill you.” She gritted her teeth, trying to look tough.

              I held my hand up to her face. “Puh-lese. You think you’re tough ‘cause you’re a year older than me.”

              “Marce, don’t start—“

              The bus’s roar of its engine interrupted her.

              “Adios,” Lucy said as she climbed onto the high school bus.

              As the high school bus left, the middle school bus came. The rest of the people standing at the curb climbed on.

              “’Ay! Marcie! Over here!” Rachel waved at me as I entered the gym. Rachel was one of my only friends. She had piercing green eyes, tan skin, short curly dirty blonde hair, and her wardrobe consisted of neon knee high socks, short brightly colored skirts, and ruffled shirts. Trust me, she was as ridiculous as her clothes.

              I sat down next to her, waiting for the eighth graders to be dismissed.

              “Eighth graders are dismissed.” The principle’s loud voice through the speakers made me deaf.

              “God, I don’t think he even needs that speaker. I bet he could just yell from his office and we could hear it.” Rachel said, her hands over her ears as we walked out of the gym.

              “See you at 6th period!” I yelled as we split up into two different halls.

Hi guys! Sorry I haven't done anything in a while :) I love how this story is coming together! Hope you guys read Mystery on Miller Street too!

-Caroline