Chapter 14: Au revoir, Père

Začít od začátku

"Nathan Reama...I was his mistress. He was having an affair with me," she manages to say. She begins to cry, though my mother doesn't flinch. I'm not surprised that my father had a mistress, but the fact that she's here is a bit of a surprise.

"I had no idea he had a wife and children, and when I heard about what he did - what he tried to do - I...I feel so awful. I'm so sorry! I'm so, so sorry!" she sobs. Oh...That's why. I feel John lightly take my hand and rub his thumb across the back of it slightly, but it's not myself I feel bad for. I feel bad for my mother, and for this woman. My mother takes the woman's hands and squeezes them.

"Look at me, dear," she says gently. The woman sniffles and looks up at my mother, who gives her a soft look.

"Do not apologize. You have nothing to apologize for," she says. The woman's mouth falls open, before opening and closing repeatedly. No words come out, however, and my mother just gives her a kind smile. The woman suddenly embraces my mother, sobbing into her shoulder.

"I don't deserve your mercy. I don't deserve your forgiveness," she cries. And my mother holds her, rocking her like she has done for myself, John, and Nicolette.

"You okay?" John whispers, leaning toward me. I look over at him and nod.

"I'm more concerned about her," I say, gesturing toward the woman with a nod. My mother steps back and pulls the woman toward the stairs, where she sits and gestures for our guest to do the same.

"What's your name, dear?" my mother asks. The woman bites her lip and looks away.

"Elena. Elena Holly," she says softly. My mother nods and gently strokes Elena's back, but Elena pushes her off and turns to her.

"There's something else," she says suddenly. My mother tilts her head, looking at Elena with a concerned look. Elena swallows and wraps her arms around herself.

"I...I'm pregnant with Nathan's child," she says. If I were holding something, I would've dropped it. She's...Pregnant? With my father's child? Which means that...I'll have a half sibling. I don't know how to feel. She said she was my father's mistress, so it was all consentual. Still, there's this pit in my stomach. Not from the child itself, but the fact that it has to share a father with me. It doesn't deserve that. It deserves a better father, who will love it and be there for it. John squeezes my hand, clearly thinking the same thing.

"I just started having morning sickness about three weeks ago, and then I took a test and realized it was Nathan's. The doctor has said I'm about ten weeks along, and I...You deserve to know," Elena explains, looking on the verge of tears again. My mother takes one of Elena's hands between both of hers and squeezes.

"Elena, this isn't your fault. You didn't know," she says soothingly. Elena looks at her, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"But he's been seeing me for years! I-I should've figured it out. I...We already have a son," she cries. My mother pauses, and Elena goes quiet. I blink. A son...Which means that I-

"I have a half brother?" Elena and my mother both look at me. Elena nods slowly.

"His name is Keegan. He's four," she says softly. I let go of John's hand and walk over to her, sitting on my knees in front of the stairs. I take Elena's other hand.

"My mother is right, Elena. You don't need to apologize. You had no idea, and...It was safer that you didn't know about us. You're kind, and I can tell you wouldn't have stayed with him. He could've hurt you, like he tried to do to us," I say, squeezing her fingers. She's quiet for a long time, and in that time I exchange a look with my mother. I can tell she's concerned about Elena. I don't know how Elena is going to be able to take care of both herself and two children.