Chapter 7 - The Unexpected

Five days have passed and Harry still hasn't talked to Hermione. The day after they kissed that night, she told him to allow time to figure out their feelings about the situation. 'Some time apart would be beneficial' Hermione said, she was very far from right. Each and every day Harry didn't talk to Hermione was a stab in the gut resulting in late nights. In the past, dreams and worries of Voldemort kept him out of bed and most certainly gave him pain. But this... this was a different situation. The pain he felt for Hermione was nothing he ever felt before. A sense of longing that caused him to dread each passing day without her. Then there was Ginny of course. She was still avoiding him for no known reason and whenever he approaches her, she quickly dismisses herself. Strange.

Harry went for an early shower for a fresh start to the day, tiptoeing across the hallway so as not to alarm Hermione that he was there. The plan changed when he heard sobs in her bedroom. He debated whether he should knock on her door and see what's going on. Harry couldn't help hearing the muffled cries of his best friend and decided to go and check it out. He knocked three times hesitantly and after a few seconds he heard Hermione's voice.

"Come in," called Hermione, her voice unsteady.

Harry opened the door and sat beside Hermione who was slouched down fumbling with her thumbs. She was undoubtedly crying. Her eyes and the tip of her nose was red and her cheeks glittered in the sunlight from her heavy tears.

"Harry, why did you do that?" Hermione questioned, "Why did you kiss me?"

Harry didn't need to think hard for the answer to her question, but thought best to lie instead and save them from the conflict that will come.

"Er, I-um wanted to see what it's like to kiss someone else for a change..." He was always bad at lying.

"Harry tell me the truth, I know you're lying. The way you kissed me didn't feel at all like an experiment. It felt far from that actually."

He gave out a loud sigh and thought again of what he should say. Harry decided to say part lie and part truth.

"Well, you see, I have been wanting to try that ever since Second Year. When you were petrified, I would've gave anything to have you back. My feelings wore off when you gave the hint that you fancied Ron at the Yule Ball." Harry paused for a moment, he wasn't sure whether to stop there. What he said was far too much for him to handle, but it was all true. He decided, since Hermione knows that much, to tell the truth.

"When I kissed Cho I thought of you. When Ginny kissed me I thought of you. When you did something you never done before and kissed me on the cheek, I rewinded the moment over and over. So my feelings never completely worn off, I've hid too long and now it's far too late and it's going to be hard and-"

Hermione clashed her lips onto Harry's. Harry knew he needed not to go on for her to realize. He felt her hands snaking their way to his face and her finger tracing his jawline. Harry hardened the kiss, wanting her to be close to him. He felt the warmth of their bodies closeness and the hair at the back of his neck stood up at the intensity of the moment. Again, Hermione pulled away, however this time it wasn't for a bad reason. Harry shifted his eyes to her soft lips. She was smiling. Hermione backed away a bit more so that she could see Harry's face.

"I, believe it or not, actually fancied you before Ron. Except when I did start to like Ron, I still liked you so I went through this stage of confusion and when you told me you kissed Cho I was sort of held back. " Hermione stopped for a bit and chuckled, "I was rather jealous really..." Harry laughed at the reminder of their past. It felt somewhat strange hearing Hermione say these things after all these years of him not knowing.

"Then you guys broke up and, not to sound evil but, I felt a stray of hope. Of course the year after, Ginny kissed you and that hope faded away. I had more of a chance with Ron than you so here we are." Hermione looked down and furrowed her eyebrows. Harry slid his hand under hers and interlocked their fingers.