chapter 4

Soon, they reached another clearing, and it was slowly getting darker and darker. They settled down, Lizzie finding herself leaning on Amaryllis. She sighed, looking up at the stars. They were so bright here and twinkled brightly. Like little fireflies, high up in the sky. Lizzie caught herself staring at Amaryllis again, but didn't look away this time. Amaryllis caught her staring, and glanced at her, tilting her head slightly in confusion. Without thinking, Lizzie leaned forward and gave her a little peck on the lips, pulling away quickly when she realized what she did.

Amaryllis looked surprised, watching Lizzie as she yelped and stumbled back, face turning red with embarrassment for what she had done. "I- I'm sorry I wasn't thinking- Please don't be mad I really didn't mean anything by it-" She froze when she felt a delicate finger touch her lips, looking up to see Amaryllis had crawled over.

Amaryllis removed her finger, "Don't be embarrassed. I kind of liked it." she admitted, ears turning red.

"Y-you did?"

"Yes."

An awkward silence fell over them, covering them like a thick blanket. They continued to watch the stars, wondering what to do next. Slowly, Lizzie started scooting closer to Amaryllis. She was still unsure of what they were but was getting more confident. "Why aren't you mad?"

"I don't know, but a part of me liked it. I'd be a hypocrite for being angry with you."

Lizzie gave a crisp nod, "Yeah, I get it. So what now?"

"We keep going, we get you home."

Though Lizzie wasn't sure if she really wanted to go home now, she still nodded again and laid back, Amaryllis laying beside her. She was lulled to sleep by the sound of crickets chirping in the distance.

Morning struck much too quickly for her liking, sunlight hitting her face and waking her up. Just like before, Amaryllis was awake first and fixed her hair for her. Both girls soon left the clearing and continued their trek, holding hands. Lizzie gripped Amaryllis' hand rather tightly, watching her as they went. Eventually, the taller girl noticed and asked what was wrong. Lizzie sighed, "Why do you like me?"

Amaryllis stopped, turning to her fully and cupping her face in her hands. "Because to me you're beautiful. I like you, for you. That's all that matters."

Lizzie took her hands in hers, looking up at her in shock. Then, she smiled softly and gave her a peck on the cheek. "Thank you."

They continued to walk, the forest growing thinner. Soon though, they reached the falls. The falls had a tall waterfall, landing in the water below and creating a type of mist around it. Rocks were placed on the water, which was crystal blue. Lizzie's heart sank to her belly, weighing down like a rock, and she felt a lump in her throat. The two crossed the rocks, stopping by the waterfall. Lizzie could feel the mist landing on her skin softly, it was cool, it wasn't cold but not warm either.

With a hard swallow, she turned to Amaryllis. "I- I don't want to leave you. Come with me, or let me stay here. I can't leave you." She was desperate, clinging on to the hope that they could still be together. She needed to know, she needed Amaryllis.

Amaryllis smiled sadly, "I'm sorry Liz. But I can't leave. I belong here, not there. You belong with your family, you deserve to be happy."

Lizzie choked on tears, not noticing them falling until Amaryllis wiped them off her cheeks. "But you make me happy Amary, I don't want to leave."

"I'm sorry, but I can't give you the life you deserve. Just remember me, cherish these memories. Remember that you are beautiful how you are, and you don't need to change that." She lightly pushed Lizzie into the falls, watching as she disappeared behind the water. With a sad smile, she turned and walked back toward the forest. Where she would be alone.

Lizzie woke up, back in the attic. The time of day was the same, the red ball sitting in front of the mirror, untouched. The only difference was, the mirror was broken. The shards covered the floor, reflecting her broken heart. They mocked her like they were showing how horribly broken she was. She let out a broken sob, sitting on the dusty floor surrounded by shards. The shards of the mirror, and the shards of her heart. The portal was gone, and so was Amaryllis.