chapter seven: who is cutting onions?

** i'm completely aware of the dream cheating/1 in 7.5 trillion odds speedrun cheating drama. FOR THE SAKE OF PLOT i will reference this only for hurt/comfort and to further dream and y/n's relationship. i am trying to stay neutral since dream himself hasn't released an official video response to geosquare yet (as of 12/19/20). your opinions on the drama are completely valid, but remember that this is just a silly wattpad story and should not be taken seriously :) --abby 

still giddy with residual excitement from your stream a couple of days ago, you pushed aside your initial grogginess to open your discord dms with dream. it was 3pm, aka prime time for dream to be awake and receive your messages. compared to your british friends like tommy, george, and wilbur, you and dream conveniently lived in the same time zone.

oxycat

that was so much fun

:)

staring intently at your screen, you frowned at the lack of activity on the other end. you thought nothing of it. he's probably just editing or something. i shouldn't be so clingy. 

nevertheless, something nagged at you; your gut told you something was off. 

oxycat

dreaaaaam

dream?

are you ok?

after nearly an hour of you intermittently checking your dms between studying for a quiz he started to type. 

dream is typing...

dream

hi yeah that was very fun :)

i'm okay just stressed rn 

trying to edit 

oxycat

i had a feeling you were editing lol

aw :( 

could i call you?

📞 dream started a call. Today at 4:12 PM

"hey, y/n." 

"hi, dream." 

you hardly even recognized his voice, uncharacteristically strained and lethargic, trembling like he'd been up all night crying. 

after a moment of static you break the silence. "dream, how long have you been up?" you inquire, concerned. 

"y/n, it's fine. i stayed up even longer to edit the last four hunters video...and that was hard work, not cheating if you're here to accuse me too," he added bitterly, sniffling. "wanna get this out asap so that my reputation isn't fucking tarnished further."

oh. this is what it's about.

"dream, i was just worried. i'm not here to turn on you, what kind of...friend...would i be if i just left you like that?" you winced at your hesitation to say "friend". your relationship was more nuanced than just a simple label like "friend". but that was besides the point. your priority was dream's mental health, above your feelings. "it just sounds like a lot to handle if you're taking this drama upon yourself. i know you talk to bad, to george, to sapnap, to all of your friends who care about you."

"it is." he whispered, barely audible. "i don't want to trouble you with my drama. i don't need to involve a person who doesn't need to be involved. it's just me." 

"it doesn't have to be," you responded, gently. "maybe i won't release a public statement, but we're still all supporting you behind the scenes. remember that." 

dream lingered on your words. "okay...thanks, y/n. i...i really appreciate that. a lot."

you blushed, letting out an internal sigh of relief that your webcam was disabled. you'd probably look like a lovesick fool. maintaining your fragile composure, you uttered, "yeah. i'm always going to be here, if you want to talk. go to sleep, dream."

your sentiment drew out a weak yet relieved chuckle. "yeah. soon, i will. now you know why my sleep schedule's so fucked up these days."

another moment of silence, but it wasn't awkward at all. just two...people enjoying each other's company.

"y/n?" dream spoke up suddenly.

you perked up at the sound of your name. "yeah?" your voice had inadvertently grown soft noticing dream's fragility. 

he hesitated. "never mind. i'll tell you when i'm not so tired. not like this."

you were obviously brimming with curiosity, but you suppressed it. "it's okay." you reassured him. 

exchanging hushed goodbyes, you wallowed in the lonely silence following the dismissive discord ringtone. god, the tension between the two of you was starting to become unbearable, even when dream had a heavier matter on his mind. 

in short, it was not the best time for you to profess your love for a famous minecraft youtuber. you smiled, albeit bittersweetly: the saying "patience is a virtue" remained steadfast.

for a fleeting moment, watching the sun's rays flicker through your blinds and shine on your bare walls, you wonder if dream wanted to tell you he liked you. you shook your head - you were getting ahead of yourself. plus, you wouldn't want to assume something like that. there was way too much that could still go wrong if you were to, theoretically, break it to dream. 

but just like the intuition guiding you to ask dream if he was alright, you felt a strong urge to confess. 

with newfound motivation, confidence, and courage, you wrote a reminder on your phone. 

by friday, call dream and tell him how you really feel.

even writing that sounded daunting. 

just thinking of him and his tea kettle wheeze, his unwavering generousity, and playful humor made butterflies swarm your stomach and your hairs stand on end. that wasn't even taking into account at all what he looked like; but you were sure he was beautiful, with attributes as such. five days would give you ample time to figure out what you wanted to say to a man whose face was really just an ambigious, abstract idea left to your imagination. 

you would do it, for sure.

but not without secretly consulting the other smp members, plus sophia and paige, in the next few days to come, because you had no fucking clue how to proclaim your undying love for someone you met on a scuffed online dating show three weeks ago. 

**

genuinely thank you for all of the sweet comments <3 

i'll be updating at least once more during my winter break. please remember to vote if you enjoyed, i appreciate everyone's support a lot :))))

stay safe and happy holidays!